Best Mp3 player on the market?

My apologies if this has been already discussed. (Please don't ban me!!)

My OLD Sony Discman has finally kicked the bucket, and it's time to upgrade in the 21st Century!! Mp3 player baby!!!!!

So, a couple of questions:

What is the best mp3 players on the market?

Is the iPod all that it's cracked up to be? I'm a huge U2 fan, and was looking into the U2 iPod. Does it come with U2 songs already loaded?

How about the competition's players?

Thanks,

Johnnie

Comments

• Ipod = very nice, great interface, battery life meh. lots of third party add-ons so you could make this an integral part of your life (if you are a total loser). the nano is a great small gizmo. you can get the bigger model with 60gb of storage and use this as an external hard drive if necessary.

competition? i just saw something from sandisk on the weekend at costco. very similar to the nano in size and interface but cheaper with double the memory (8gb) longer battery life (20hr vs 14hr). In addition, the package comes with small case, plus bigger leather case that can also hold accessories AND this model accepts SD micro cards so you can have storage only limited by your budget.

which one? depends on what you need most.
  • I'm really happy with my Creative Labs Zen touch...

Talk to westside, I think he just picked up the Zen touch video... and REALLY digs it.. I hear it's supposed to be the newest "Ipodkiller"

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote:
    I'm really happy with my Creative Labs Zen touch...

Talk to westside, I think he just picked up the Zen touch video... and REALLY digs it.. I hear it's supposed to be the newest "Ipodkiller"

Mark

You mean the Zen Vision M Mark? Yes I did pick one up recently, and I was not disappointed. I was never much of an iPod fan, too much of a fad/fashion statement in my opinion. Some people get it jsut so they can say they have ad iPod. I guess it comes down to what you need it for Johnnie. If you are strictly looking to buy one for music, there isn't a point of spending $300 on a Zen Vision M or a Video iPod with the video capabilities. If you're looking at pure music wise, the Nano is not a bad choice, but there are also other great selections from Creative and even Sony. It would be alot easier if you can give us a more detail specification that you are looking into. Something along the lines of "Are you using it only for music, or do you plan to watch videos/tv shows on it too?".
  • Mostly tunes, but I'm not against spending the money on something that plays videos.

The Zen Vision M does look pretty sweet. Where is the best place to pick it up? (Remember, I HATE Future Shop and Best Buy.)
  • if ur in the market for MP3 players here is the place I got mine

it had side by side comparisons from all the major mp3 players out there....the pros and cons.

also, if you purchase it from Scott thats the guy that sells them. Tell him Ali sent you, and he will give you a great deal!

hope that helps

http://www.hotmp3gear.com/ComputerInnovation/Comparison1.htm
  • I like the Ipod Nano. I got one for free with my Aeroplan Miles and I was not disappointed. The battery life doesn't affect me. 14hrs vs 20hrs? I would never listen for 14 hours before charging it anyway.
  • I bought the Nano and absolutely love it. The sound quality is incredible its easy to charge (never have to worry about buying batteries), and Itunes is awesome. I had my whole library of CDs in digital format on Itunes over a sunday - now I have all my music in my car at any given time.

If you are looking for something to play quality music, as opposed to being focused on movies, the Nano, IMO, is the way to go.
  • Just so you know Johnnie...

You also have to consider how much space you'll need... being a music lover, I'm guessing you'll need a lot.

There are really two general "types" of mp3 players - flash-based, and hard drive storage

Flash based are the smallers ones, I think they get as big as 4 gigs of space. Hard drives are huge, I've seen a 100gig model. An average mp3 is about 3-5 megs, so 1000 megs in a gig = (low estimate) 200 songs / gig.

Now, here's something I didn't know until i was buying one, for the flash mp3 players, you can go jogging / exercise / bang them around a bit without a worry. Hard drive modles however should not be jostled about, as this will break the HD.... make sense no?

So, just something to keep in mind... I went with the HD model because I knew I'd be loading it up, I have a 20 gig one, and I've filled about 14 gigs of it... total track count is something near 1500 songs, but that includes a few hour-long radio shows which is what's skewing the average.

Mark
  • The Zen Vision M looks cool.

30GB, Am/Fm Tuner, Voice Recorder.

Wes, were did you get yours, and how much?
  • JohnnieH wrote:
    The Zen Vision M looks cool.

30GB, Am/Fm Tuner, Voice Recorder.

Wes, were did you get yours, and how much?

I got mine through Dell when they had their Dell 14 Days of Deals sale a couple of months ago for $279.99. They are selling for $379.99 at FS/BB right now, but I expect a price drop in the next month or two since rumour has it that a new iPod will be coming out, and also a 60GB version of the Zen Vision M is coming out shortly too.
  • Got the Creaive Labs Zen Vision: M from FS. They only had it in pink. But whatever,it's a SWEET machine. I love it!

I was able to use a friends staff discount, so it "only" cost me $320.

Thanks to all for your help.

Johnnie
  • JohnnieH wrote:
    Got the Creaive Labs Zen Vision: M from FS. They only had it in pink.  But whatever,it's a SWEET machine.  I love it! 

Johnnie
    Johnnie! Pink??? That's almost as bad as driving a SMART CAR ;)

/g2
  • g2 wrote:
    JohnnieH wrote:
    Got the Creaive Labs Zen Vision: M from FS. They only had it in pink. But whatever,it's a SWEET machine. I love it!

Johnnie
    Johnnie! Pink??? That's almost as bad as driving a SMART CAR ;)

/g2

lol.....Almost....but not quite.
  • Hmmm... I have the same brand of MP3 and the smart car... damn, I'm cool

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote:
    Hmmm... I have the same brand of MP3 and the smart car... damn, I'm cool

Mark

30gb Video, and a Matrix.

Mine are both bigger!!
  • <Insert token "size doesn't matter joke">

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote:
    <Insert token "size doesn't matter joke">

Mark
    Yeah yeah yeah... it's "what you can do with it" right? But what CAN you do with a SMART car? Other than drive forever on one tank of gas and park 6 of them in one parking space.

/g2
  • The Zen line outlasts the ipods any day.