Help with a move.

I posted here a while back that I would be moving out to the Vancouver area in the fall, and the time is nearly upon me. I leave September 19th.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a quality mover, with reasonable rates. Hell, does anyone on the forum own a moving company? I'd be happy to give the business to a forum member.

The problem I keep running into is the 1000 pound minimum. I have unburdened myself of many posessions, and really only have some few items to send.

1 Lambretta Motorscooter, 250 pds
4 crates Vinyl records - 200 pounds
1 computer - 50 pounds
Miscelleanous little items, 100 pounds.

I could add some little things, but nothing major, maybe my stereo for another 100, but even with all that I hit 700 only. At 95 cents a pound it really adds up.

So if anyone has any advice, or has shipped long distance by other means, I'd love to hear it.

Anyone ever use rail?

Cheers
Dinobot.

Comments

• Considering its going all the way across the country, what is unreasonable?

My nephew just took off for Calgary from Milton, with a UHaul trailer behind his truck. It was 800+ for the trailer out there, so there's a price idea for you.

Reminding us where you currently are might help as well.
  • sorry, I am currently in Sarnia, Ontario, which is out of the way a little. Part of the quotes I have gotten so far all include an added charge for even having to come here and get it.

The 1000 pound minimum is not really unreasonable, I did not state that. I was just curious if anyone knew of a company that did not charge it, and shipped based on actual weight. I've also heard if you can get in at the right time when a company has a nearly full truck, they will allow you to sort of piggy back for a lower weight. I simply don't have 1000 pounds worth of stuff to ship, so I would end up paying for some empty space.

U haul is not really an option since I am selling my car. I've had it quite a few years, and have grown tired of the expense. Vancouver has an amazing transit system, and I have my Lambretta as well. So I'm fine for transport.
  • Take a U-haul or Ryder truck?
  • U haul is over 2 grand plus the price of fuel.

No way.

The best quote I have right now is for 1200 to move 1000 pounds door to door. It works out to 95 cents a pund plus GST plus a fuel surcharge, plus a Sarnia surcharge, for going out of the way.

It's a pretty good quote, and I'll likely take it. it's with www.aamt.ca

My question is more along the lines of anyone knowing of a mover who offers good rates. I am not moving myself. I just want to shop for the best price.

Cheers
  • I used Premier Van Lines in Kitchener. Call them.
  • Just used "mike the mover" Guelph to Windsor area. 3-4 bedroom house and all the crap you accumulate over time.
    Decent rate, last minute and we gave them a few beers when they were done. They did an awesome job, fast and
    without any problems i.e broke stuff.

My question is...how are you getting there? Rent a cub-van...it will fit everything and probably be a decent price. Take your time heading there,
    and enjoy the chance to see the countryside while you're still young and able...

You have enough time to map out a 4 or 5 day drive, hit the pokerrooms while you're heading out west...Good Luck!
  • I think it might be worth it to ship it freight. Like on a truck. We used to send 600lbs + via ATS (I believe) freight to B.C. all the time. It was pretty cheap and only took a week/ten days. They'll probably reccomened somewhere to box up the motorscooter.

(Cheap considering.)

• My question is...how are you getting there? Rent a cub-van...it will fit everything and probably be a decent price.  Take your time heading there,
    and enjoy the chance to see the countryside while you're still young and able...

You have enough time to map out a 4 or 5 day drive, hit the pokerrooms while you're heading out west...Good Luck!

That would really be amazing, but the cube vans I have looked at are all quite pricy, way more than the cost of a mover and plane ticket. Especially when you consider the cost of fuel, and lodging, and poker. Of course, if I went on some miraculous run at the tables, it could pay for itself. If I didn't have to consider the money so much, I think I would go this route. I had considered going Grey Hound at one point, and trying to make one day stops in some towns that had card rooms.

Thanks for the hints guys. I'll try a few other places and see where I'm at.
  • Check the BBB on-line for any moving companies you're considering. You can see if they have any reported claims/disputes. I moved a 3 bedroom house with double garage a few years ago from about 40 mins outside Kitchener to Kitchener. For about $800 the guys did everything, we just filled the boxes. I thought that was reasonable. I used Hart's moving service but I doubt that's any good from where you are? The move went without a single hitch...however once everything was in the house I looked across the street to see I had moved right across from Wolffhound, my life has never been the same :)

You can check these guys out as well, I have heard good things about them but have never used them?

http://www.twosmallmen.com/longhaul.htm
  • actually, the internet is awash with complaints about two small men. Everything from damaged goods, to non refunded deposits, they seem to consistently arrive late, and people report they do a poor job.

Thanks again for the further suggestion.

Cheers
  • dinobot wrote:
    actually, the internet is awash with complaints about two small men. Everything from damaged goods, to non refunded deposits, they seem to consistently arrive late, and people report they do a poor job.

Cheers
    Hmm... I wonder what googling "complaints about small men" would come up with. I'm not going to try it at work though :D

/g2
  • Just google the company name and it comes up large. I would say it's 10-1 complaints to complements. It seems that the franchise in Oshawa is ok but the rest aren't.
  • U can ship the stuff via Greyhound and fly. Their rates are pretty good -- you'll just need to find a way to pack the stuff. Or go the route Haddon suggested. With only a few things to ship, the shippers will get it there quickly and cheaply.

Good luck with the move!

Cheers
    Lou
  • I am in the freight business, $1200 to ship your stuff half way across the country is a very good deal.

If I were to do it I couldn't ship the scooter because of the combustion engine, excluding that you would be looking at $950 or so, plus the cost of getting it to Toronto. Therefore, $1200 is a very reasonable price IMO.
  • dinobot wrote:
    actually, the internet is awash with complaints about two small men. Everything from damaged goods, to non refunded deposits, they seem to consistently arrive late, and people report they do a poor job.

Cheers

You are right, from what I understand they used to be good then the 'good' guys left for another company leaving the 'not so good' guys to ruin their name? From what I read on them you'd be crazy to use them.....to re-enforce what someone else said...it cost me over $800 to move to Kitchener from 45 minutes out, I thought this was good value and they did a great job. $1200 to move the distance you want to move seems like a very good deal!
  • MDSGuy wrote:
    I am in the freight business, $1200 to ship your stuff half way across the country is a very good deal.

If I were to do it I couldn't ship the scooter because of the combustion engine, excluding that you would be looking at $950 or so, plus the cost of getting it to Toronto.  Therefore, $1200 is a very reasonable price IMO.

Thanks. Interesting that you can't take the bike. I have shipped a couple, and just basically drained the fuel, and run the bike til it used up everything inside. I had no problem at all, just always had ship at my own risk, since with vintage scooters their is no blue book, and the value is basically whatever the market is willing to pay.

1200 does seem like a decent deal, and I think I will likely book with them tomorrow. Thanks for your advice everyone.

Cheers