Overvaluing/Undervaluing Cards

One of the things I have noticed in my play the past months is my tendency to overvalue/undervalue certain card combinations. Be it Hold'em, Omaha, or other.

I am not talking about favorite combinations. Almost every player has a soft spot for a certain set of cards that they always like to play. A friend of mine will play anything with a 7. I like Q9, don't ask me why.

What I am really talking about is post flop, 4th street card values. My weakness use too be Ax suited for almost any value before the flop. Luckily I got that out of my system early. I do still have a problem with AQ pockets in that I overvalue their ability to win a hand. Often pushing all-in pre-flop with them. But on the flip side I am incredibly timid and frighten of JJ, even though pre-flop it is a much better starting hand than say AQ.

Case in point the other night on a $10 18 player Sit and Go on stars, the blinds were 50/100 and I am under the gun with QQ and about a medium stack.

I raise to 400 and the bet folds around to the big stack at the table who is in the SB he raises to 800. Now I use to go all-in a this point, however this time I instead decided to just call figuring that he has AA, KK, AK (he has been playing very tight aggressive) and was trying to get just such a play out of me. Instead I just call deciding to play the flop.

So the flop comes 2 5 Q rainbow (sorry I don't remember the suits) I have made my set. Now I have put him on an over pair or AK so he checks to me, and I bet all-in which he quickly calls. An shows AA to my set. The river and turn are no help and I double through, and become one of the big stacks. Someone at the table make a comment about how disciplined my call was since he would have gone all in.

However 2 hands later I am in the little blind with AQ suit and facing a 1000 chip raise and push all-in pre-flop and get called by KK, now the guy wasn't a big stacked but he was about half my chip count so it did devastate me chip wise (back to where I was 2 hands ago). It did get me thinking about how I value certain sets of cards and how I overvalue some that perhaps I shouldn't, and undervalue others I shouldn't.

Any thoughts.