Interesting Hand

This is not a bad beat, but it was a hand I was involved in and had me confused until the showdown. I figured this might get some discussion or input into what everyones cards were, I will post the showdown later.

PokerStars Game #5996286691: Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2006/08/21 - 02:35:16 (ET)
Table 'Bitias' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: atticked ($6.10 in chips)
Seat 2: Nootch22 ($26.45 in chips)
Seat 3: Rales85 ($19.60 in chips)
Seat 4: Gaber10 ($33 in chips)
Seat 5: TheFan83 ($21.55 in chips)
Seat 6: monkeylovin ($25 in chips)
Seat 7: newman905 ($9.50 in chips)
Seat 8: Loyoyo ($39.15 in chips)
Seat 9: Scott2383 ($11.05 in chips)
Scott2383: posts small blind $0.10
atticked: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to newman905 [Ac Qd]
Nootch22: folds
Rales85: folds
Gaber10: calls $0.25
TheFan83: calls $0.25
monkeylovin: calls $0.25
newman905: raises $0.50 to $0.75
Loyoyo: calls $0.75
Scott2383: folds
atticked: calls $0.50
Gaber10: calls $0.50
TheFan83: calls $0.50
monkeylovin: calls $0.50
*** FLOP *** [Ad 4h 4c]
atticked: checks
Gaber10: bets $1.75
TheFan83: calls $1.75
monkeylovin: calls $1.75
newman905: folds
Loyoyo: folds
atticked: folds
*** TURN *** [Ad 4h 4c] [3s]
Gaber10: bets $2
TheFan83: calls $2
monkeylovin: calls $2
*** RIVER *** [Ad 4h 4c 3s] [Kd]
Gaber10: bets $5
TheFan83: calls $5
monkeylovin: raises $5 to $10
Gaber10: calls $5
TheFan83: calls $5
*** SHOW DOWN ***

Comments

• u folded AQ?

after the flop....of A 4 4

strange....
  • Good fold. Somebody must have had a 4. But I'm guessing no one did otherwise this wouldn't be so interesting.

Actually... I'm gonna guess that no one had a single 4... monkeylover might have flopped quads :D

If not 44, then maybe KK.

/g2
  • I'd make it $2 or $1.5 preflop and pot the flop, the whole hand plays differently from there. Still with 3 players putting in money and only two aces out there you have to think one of them has the 4. There is no flush draw...
  • I agree with Meistro...

That many limpers, pot is already like $1.10, I make at LEAST a pot-sized raise to $1.35, but more likely $2.

On that flop, well, I'd just push the rest of my money in (you had $9 to start the hand, and with my pre-flop play, you'd have put about 20% of that in. Any callers - let's say there were two - makes the push a good move)

Mark
  • Nice to see some of the replies.

My thinking in the hand was a liitle steamed as i just took a huge hit to a runner runner, making me a shorter stack at the table.

I figured my first mistake was preflop and with that many limpers and with good position I should have raised maybe 4 or 5x bb. And after a couple of callers I knew it was going to be a family pot.

But I will post the showdown shortly.
  • As everyone else, I raise to $1.50 pre-flop. If the action stays the same (everyone comes along and is betting/calling on the flop), I fold the flop.
    My thinking in the hand was a liitle steamed as i just took a huge hit to a runner runner, making me a shorter stack at the table.
    I think these are your main mistakes. If you're a little steamed and not playing your best, take a quick break. If you've taken a beat in a cash game but feel good enough to keep playing RELOAD - you should never feel like you have to play a hand because you're short-stacked.
  • I have a feeling monkeylovin has an AK, and was trying to be sneaky until that river. Not because I'm familiar with him, just because I've seen this type of play a few too many times. Though with the low limit hold'em tables, and that many ppl in preflop, there is a chance someone hit a four, and played it slow, so maybe monkey was holding a 4 and that's why he raised the river; but that is a bit more conventional play, and thus wouldn't result in a topic of 'interesting hand'.

I just noticed, I can't make a post without at least 1 run-on sentence.. ah well, only salmon can swim up waterfalls.

:P

Dave
  • ^^ I was having similar thoughts.

Based upon the action on the flop I assumed there was another ace, maybe with a king but doubtful. I was convinced that someone had a 4, perhaps even A4s giving him the full house, that would have been sick. I thought I would save myself some money and fold and if I was bluffed good for them.

Anyways the showdown....

*** SHOW DOWN ***
    monkeylovin: shows [4s 4d] (four of a kind, Fours)
    Gaber10: shows [Jc As] (two pair, Aces and Fours)
    TheFan83: mucks hand
    monkeylovin collected $43.60 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot $45.85 | Rake $2.25
    Board [Ad 4h 4c 3s Kd]
    Seat 1: atticked (big blind) folded on the Flop
    Seat 2: Nootch22 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: Rales85 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 4: Gaber10 showed [Jc As] and lost with two pair, Aces and Fours
    Seat 5: TheFan83 mucked [Ah Th]
    Seat 6: monkeylovin showed [4s 4d] and won ($43.60) with four of a kind, Fours
    Seat 7: newman905 folded on the Flop
    Seat 8: Loyoyo (button) folded on the Flop
    Seat 9: Scott2383 (small blind) folded before Flop

Regardless my read with the aces was somewhat correct and I was scared away from the pot. But the case ace and quads, hmmmm, I feel a cold deck, lol. Thanks for the replies everyone.
  • g2 wrote:
    Actually... I'm gonna guess that no one had a single 4... monkeylover might have flopped quads :D

Good read, Greg!!

And gold fold, Gordon!!
  • Ya raise it more Prelop... Turned out nice thought cause you'd prolly still get the 44 caller and then think AQ was good :)