Online Avatar

I recently had a discussion with a few friends who also regularly play online, and there was some differences of opinion on whether to use the "custom picture" available at many sites. 

The thinking against it is that it makes it easier to remember you, so they'll remember the "good player" and you won't get much action.

The thinking for it is that bad players don't pay enough attention anyway, so the avatar really won't change things much.  The decent players will remember your name even without an avatar (and may have something like PT to help to help anyway), so it doesn't matter there either.

I'm curious what others thoughts are...

Personally, I'm in the latter camp.  I don't think the avatar really affects who remembers what, so I use it because it makes me happy seeing my smiley everywhere ;) .

Comments

• I agree with you, that avatars don't affect play for a couple reasons.

The first is, most avatars don't really reveal anything significant about you, except the ones where it shows your actual picture. And that would only affect play, if you were the kind of person that would lump someone of a certain gender, or a certain geekness, or even a certain ethnicity into a certain category of poker prowess. (could I have fit anymore 'certains' into that sentence?)

And secondly, there is absolutely no way to know whether a personal picture in someone's avatar is actual them or not. So you can't take those to mean anything anyway, real or fake. For example, blondfish's avatar on CPF. Perhaps he really is Christina Aguilera (sp?) or maybe he is a he, and looks nothing like her at all? No way to know... unless you've ever played him in a live game.

any thoughts?

-Dave
  • I don't think you're understanding the "no avatar" POV....

I am the one who doesn't change avatars - basically, I feel that given that the average online monkey has neither pokertrack or photographic memory, I"m assuming that it's significantly easier to remember a unique picture. I know of one player on Abssolute that plays PLOM, and I don't recall their name, but their avatar is a flower in bloom. I'll remember this and be able to categorize them immediately.

Now you could easily use pokertracker (which I do) to review the other player's tendancies, but if you dont' have PT, the picture is a mnemonic device.

Mark
  • IMO the avatar plays a small part in game play.
    I found this chessy pic of Dawson from Dawson's Creek on my computer"it's the wife's people". anyway
    I have found a person can really hate James Vanderbeek after there Aces crack.
    My most profit has been the person that makes fun of my Avatar and feels the Wrath of Dawson
    lol.......
    yes a small minor part
    Donking since 2005....
  • meltedmark wrote:
    IMO the avatar plays a small part in game play.
    I found this chessy pic of Dawson from Dawson's Creek on my computer"it's the wife's people". anyway
    I have found a person can really hate James Vanderbeek after there Aces crack.
    My most profit has been the person that makes fun of my Avatar and feels the Wrath of Dawson
    lol.......
    yes a small minor part
    Donking since 2005....
    and here I thought there was something fruity about that picture when I was at your table the other night. Now I learn there is method behind the madness :P

jk

Red
  • I have found that I sometimes play differently against certain avatars.. for example, an older man looking to be in his 50's or 60's I usually will respect raises much more than I would if the avatar shows a college kid.. I've been thinking of making my avatar a picture of my grandmother or something, hoping some people will play me differently.. though it woudn't take a decent player long to realize that I'm no old lady with my hyper-aggressive style of play lately.
  • gokorda wrote:
    I have found that I sometimes play differently against certain avatars.. for example, an older man looking to be in his 50's or 60's I usually will respect raises much more than I would if the avatar shows a college kid.. I've been thinking of making my avatar a picture of my grandmother or something, hoping some people will play me differently.. though it woudn't take a decent player long to realize that I'm no old lady with my hyper-aggressive style of play lately.

Me too...generally, an avatar of a customized Honda Civic or a pic of Eminem means a young male who will bluff more and be more LAG.
  • I agree with what Trevor is saying...

The poor players do not pay attention so it doesnt matter - and if they are - hopefully they will not appreciate the ability to change your game from one session to the next.

The good players with remember - they will have notes or poker tracker or rely on memory, avatar or not.

However, there are a lot of medium players in the middle - I think it is these players who may take a couple notes, may have some memory - but can recall a picture may benefit.
  • Remember the names, the avitars are the for your amusment.
  • jpajamas wrote:
    Remember the names, the avitars are the for your amusment.

Thank you!!!!