FINAL TABLE :-)

Not a huge tourney, but hey its a final table. $25 multi table tourney on paradise Macaw is the name of the tourney.

303 entries.  8 players left....1st place is $1700.

****EDIT**** I know bad beat stories aren't allowed, but just got in with QQ v 99 and guy spiked a 9.  Still alive, though.

****2nd EDIT*** Yuck, 5th place $482.....made 1 possibly 2 mistakes at the final table.

Comments

• Still pretty big :)
    Sucks to hear about your overpair losing. GJ on finishing so high up.
  • OK....Here are my two difficult decisions from the final table last night and I would like a little input.

After my bad beat, I was down to about 40K when this hand came up. 6 Handed.

1st Hand) Blinds are 2K/4K plus ante and it folds to me on the button....I have Q/9 hearts. Chip leader is in the small blind with about 110K. Small stack is in the BB with about 20K. Both appear to be solid players. I have a very good table image...I have only shown down quality hands and my steal attempts have worked w/o having to show an inferior hand. With that said...obviously I am coming from the button, so anything would look suspicous. Chip leader has been aggressive with his big stack (as he should be, but not wild)

What would you do?

2nd Hand) Five handed. Blinds are 3K/6K plus ante. My stack is about 38K. Folded to me in the SB with Q-2. Chip leader in the Big Blind...same as before...solid player. Do I jam with anything or fold? I jammed and he called with 6-6 and it held.

These button situations are killing me...it seems like I am always making the wrong decision or at least getting bad results.
  • Otto_Troy wrote:
    1st Hand)  Blinds are 2K/4K plus ante and it folds to me on the button....I have Q/9 hearts.  Chip leader is in the small blind with about 110K.  Small stack is in the BB with about 20K.  Both appear to be solid players.  I have a very good table image...I have only shown down quality hands and my steal attempts have worked w/o having to show an inferior hand.  With that said...obviously I am coming from the button, so anything would look suspicous.  Chip leader has been aggressive with his big stack (as he should be, but not wild)
    Fold. The hand isn't great, your position will make it look like a steal, and these are the worst 2 players to go after.
    Otto_Troy wrote:
    2nd Hand) Five handed. Blinds are 3K/6K plus ante. My stack is about 38K. Folded to me in the SB with Q-2. Chip leader in the Big Blind...same as before...solid player. Do I jam with anything or fold? I jammed and he called with 6-6 and it held.
    I personally don't like pushing a short-stack when the big stack is the BB, since they can afford to call with almost anything. If BB is a good player, they will realize your range widens a lot in this situation (short-stack blind-battle).
    Otto_Troy wrote:
    These button situations are killing me...it seems like I am always making the wrong decision or at least getting bad results.
    Do you mean this tourney or in general? For this tourney, your seat sucks :(
  • Otto_Troy wrote:

1st Hand) Blinds are 2K/4K plus ante and it folds to me on the button....I have Q/9 hearts. Chip leader is in the small blind with about 110K. Small stack is in the BB with about 20K. Both appear to be solid players. I have a very good table image...I have only shown down quality hands and my steal attempts have worked w/o having to show an inferior hand. With that said...obviously I am coming from the button, so anything would look suspicous. Chip leader has been aggressive with his big stack (as he should be, but not wild)

What would you do?

I raise here. possibly even push. I might make it 14K to go so it doesn't look so much like a steal however you are basically committing yourself here. Sometimes a shorter stack non all in gets more respect. You have good position and a reasonable hand. But then again I tend to suck out large with a suited Q.

I fold. I don't like jamming a big stack who might call with k 5 or something to try and swat you out of the tourney. Hand is no where near the quality of before. I wait for a pocket pair any suited connectors AT+ even a suited A to jam the pot.
  • I agree 100% with one thing. My position sucked in this tourney. Having the big stack to my left sucked and made it very difficult.

With the 1st hand....I waffled. I thought I had the best hand, but was scared (not good). I wound up raising 2.5 times and the big stack put me in and I folded. I think I should have folded or jammed.

The 2nd hand....I don't know....Yes folding is easy, but 5 handed and the blinds so big...I don't have much time to wait for a pair or a big hand and I like to have enough chips so if I double up it means something, not mere survival. I am just praying for two live cards if he calls.

The good news, is I have been getting a lot of experience in these situations and getting better at it. We'll see. Thanks for the input.