PLO high - Questions from a rookie

Ok, just learning the game and I have 3 hand histories I'd like comments on:

Hand 1: My read, Puuha-Pete and DAK2K4 are raising almost every hand and betting most streets, really loose agressive. Deadpool45 seemed solid but everyone else I think is a beginner like me.

PokerStars Game #5950279815:  Omaha Pot Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2006/08/17 - 12:22:58 (ET)
Table 'Patry' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: Puuha-Pete ($3.44 in chips)
Seat 2: hydrosson ($1.33 in chips)
Seat 3: 1953steve ($4.98 in chips)
Seat 4: deadpool45 ($2.94 in chips)
Seat 5: timmy bong ($2.09 in chips)
Seat 6: Big_E_67 ($4.97 in chips)
Seat 8: Dinnerlady ($1.12 in chips)
Seat 9: DAK2K4 ($3.31 in chips)
Dinnerlady: posts small blind $0.01
DAK2K4: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Big_E_67 [9s 8h 8s 3d] I know a dangler, I have to learn to stop playing with a dangler
Puuha-Pete: calls $0.02
hydrosson: calls $0.02
1953steve: folds
deadpool45: raises $0.02 to $0.04
timmy bong: calls $0.04
Big_E_67: calls $0.04
Dinnerlady: calls $0.03
DAK2K4: calls $0.02
*** FLOP *** [8d 5s Qh] nice trip 8's on a pretty safe board
Dinnerlady: checks
DAK2K4: bets $0.28 Last few hands just kept betting and betting with no resistance, could re-raise but on this board wanted him to keep betting at me, poor play?
Puuha-Pete: calls $0.28
hydrosson: folds
deadpool45: folds
timmy bong: folds
Big_E_67: calls $0.28
Dinnerlady: folds
*** TURN *** [8d 5s Qh] [Ac]
DAK2K4: bets $0.50
Puuha-Pete: raises $2.07 to $2.57
Pile it On joins the table at seat #7
Big_E_67: raises $2.07 to $4.64 I put Puuha on two pair or a str8 draw so I thought coming in over top was the best play, I think my 8's are still good. Comments?
DAK2K4: calls $2.49 and is all-in nice that this donk came along
Puuha-Pete: calls $0.55 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [8d 5s Qh Ac]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Puuha-Pete: shows [6h 9d 7h 6d] (a pair of Sixes) cool, my read was correct
Big_E_67: shows [9s 8h 8s 3d] (three of a kind, Eights)
Big_E_67 collected $0.26 from side pot
DAK2K4: mucks hand
Big_E_67 collected $9.59 from main pot

Hand #2:

PokerStars Game #5950313842:  Omaha Pot Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2006/08/17 - 12:27:55 (ET)
Table 'Patry' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: Puuha-Pete ($4.97 in chips)
Seat 2: hydrosson ($1.27 in chips)
Seat 3: 1953steve ($5.48 in chips)
Seat 4: deadpool45 ($2.84 in chips)
Seat 5: timmy bong ($1.78 in chips)
Seat 6: Big_E_67 ($11.34 in chips)
Seat 7: Pile it On ($4.98 in chips)
Seat 8: Dinnerlady ($1.04 in chips)
deadpool45: posts small blind $0.01
timmy bong: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Big_E_67 [7s 5h 6s 4s] ok hand for PLO high?
1953steve is connected
Big_E_67: calls $0.02
Pile it On: folds
Dinnerlady: calls $0.02
Puuha-Pete: raises $0.09 to $0.11
1953steve: calls $0.11
deadpool45: folds
timmy bong: calls $0.09
Big_E_67: calls $0.09 I don't respect Puuha at all
Dinnerlady: calls $0.09
*** FLOP ***
timmy bong: checks
Big_E_67: checks scary trips with only 1 5 in my hand and the flush draw out there so I'll go into check-call mode
Puuha-Pete: bets $0.56
Big_E_67: calls $0.56 this may be a bad call, I think I'm good against him and I fear that my read on him being really loose-agressive may have compromised proper play?
*** TURN *** [3d]
Big_E_67: checks
Puuha-Pete: bets $0.20
Big_E_67: calls $0.20 hmmm, flush card hits and he bets less? I'm confused now but with the pot size and my draw to a str8 that may be good and a boat I gotta call....I think he's on a bluff gone bad
*** RIVER *** [6d]
Big_E_67: bets $1.98 bingo, I fill up and as much as I wanted to check here I didn't want to let him check behind me although he may have taken another stab at it?
Puuha-Pete: folds
Big_E_67 collected $1.98 from pot
Big_E_67: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $2.08 | Rake $0.10
Board
Seat 1: Puuha-Pete folded on the River
Seat 2: hydrosson folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: 1953steve (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 4: deadpool45 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: timmy bong (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 6: Big_E_67 collected ($1.98)

Hand 3:

PokerStars Game #5950363915:  Omaha Pot Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2006/08/17 - 12:35:06 (ET)
Table 'Patry' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: Puuha-Pete ($4.52 in chips)
Seat 2: hydrosson ($1.27 in chips)
Seat 3: 1953steve ($5.23 in chips)
Seat 4: deadpool45 ($2.67 in chips)
Seat 5: timmy bong ($1.29 in chips)
Seat 6: Big_E_67 ($12.41 in chips)
Seat 7: Pile it On ($6 in chips)
Seat 8: Dinnerlady ($0.43 in chips)
Seat 9: bandini333 ($1.76 in chips)
Dinnerlady: posts small blind $0.01
bandini333: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Big_E_67 [9h Ah Kd 5h] I know another dangler!
1953steve: calls $0.02
deadpool45: calls $0.02
timmy bong: calls $0.02
Big_E_67: calls $0.02
Pile it On: folds
Dinnerlady: calls $0.01
bandini333: checks
*** FLOP *** [2s Kh As] I have a sinking feeling this flop is bad for me, 2 pair is not going to win this hand.
bandini333: checks
Puuha-Pete: checks
hydrosson: checks
1953steve: checks
deadpool45: bets $0.16
Big_E_67: raises $0.16 to $0.32 I put deadpool on the flush draw and I thought coming over the top was my best chance to win the pot then and there.
bandini333: folds
Puuha-Pete: folds
deadpool45: calls $0.16 I didn't want this call
*** TURN *** [2s Kh As] [4s]
deadpool45: bets $0.02
Big_E_67: raises $0.84 to $0.86 Ok, his stupid $0.02 bet really screwed me up, it had me thinking he didn't hit the flush..in hind site I think the correct move is to call here?
deadpool45: calls $0.84
*** RIVER *** [2s Kh As 4s] [Qh]
deadpool45: checks
Big_E_67: checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
deadpool45: shows [2h Tc 3s Js] (a flush, Ace high) grrrr
Big_E_67: mucks hand
deadpool45 collected $2.42 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $2.52 | Rake $0.10
Board [2s Kh As 4s Qh]
Seat 1: Puuha-Pete folded on the Flop
Seat 2: hydrosson folded on the Flop
Seat 3: 1953steve folded on the Flop
Seat 4: deadpool45 showed [2h Tc 3s Js] and won ($2.42) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 5: timmy bong folded on the Flop
Seat 6: Big_E_67 mucked [9h Ah Kd 5h]

Comments

• Hand #1:
    - yup, not a great starting hand... but ok for calling a minraise at 0.01/0.02
    - 3rd set isn't the nuts, but otherwise a great uncoordinated rainbow to push a set on
    - nh

Hand #2:
    - not a good starting hard, but not terrible, excellent coordination, but 3 of one suit is never great though
    - when he slows down on the turn i would raise him for value (expecting a call), if he comes over the top its probably a fold (unless you have seen he is capable of making that move with a semi-bluff)
    - there's no way this "raising station" is going to call a pot bet on the river (especially after slowing down on the turn) unless he has you beat, so i would value bet 1/3 to 1/2 pot and he will probably flat call with anything

Hand #3:
    - terrible starting hand... 3 hearts and if you hit the flop it will most likely be with two pair, which will just get you in trouble
    - the only flop you should want to continue with this hand is the A-high flush draw or A-high straight
    - you wanted him to fold so you minraised?!?!? no way he is going to fold to a minraise
    - the flush hits on the turn, he bets 2 cents... i guess you didn't hear this during the hand... CALLLLL MMEEEEE!!!!!!! and you raise?!?!?!?!? come on E... this is exactly the trouble two pair gets into in Omaha
    - good thing you scared him with that raise (and he didn't have the nut flush) otherwise it would have cost you even more on the river

/g2
  • Hand #1:
    - there's no way this "raising station" is going to call a pot bet on the river (especially after slowing down on the turn) unless he has you beat, so i would value bet 1/3 to 1/2 pot and he will probably flat call with anything

Good point, I could have got a bit more out of him by betting less.
    Hand #3:
    - terrible starting hand... 3 hearts and if you hit the flop it will most likely be with two pair, which will just get you in trouble
    - the only flop you should want to continue with this hand is the A-high flush draw or A-high straight
    - you wanted him to fold so you minraised?!?!? no way he is going to fold to a minraise
    - the flush hits on the turn, he bets 2 cents... i guess you didn't hear this during the hand... CALLLLL MMEEEEE!!!!!!! and you raise?!?!?!?!? come on E... this is exactly the trouble two pair gets into in Omaha
    - good thing you scared him with that raise (and he didn't have the nut flush) otherwise it would have cost you even more on the river

Thanks, I see your point on the min-raise...I did mean to come overtop with a pot sized bet but mis-clicked, what about coming overtop is that the move to make here or is it really just an easy fold?

I guess I misread $0.02 into a pot of $0.84 as weakness but had he come back at me I would have folded.

I agree a poorly played hand I will learn from, thanks.
  • 1st hand

Actually a pretty horrible starting hand, the pair isn't high, the connectors are only okay, and the suited cards are ugly.  I would have also called only because I had position, and your obvious reads on the poor players.

FloP:

A good flop, only behind QQ here, but I would re-raise to isolate.  If you're sure Dak is weak, you want to bet out anyone else drawing at the possible straight, remember, you're more behind here than you think if he has a wrap straight (6-7-9 or 6-7-4 gives him 13 outs rather than 8).

Turn:

Ace scares me a bit, since there's now two possible oversets, and another straight draw... bet looks good to me

River:

Ugh.. any JK has you beat.... good thing they were all in.

Overall:  A questionable hand that requires discipline to play.  Only thing I do different is bet my set on the flop.

Hand 2:
    g2 wrote:
    Hand #2:
    - not a good starting hard, but not terrible, excellent coordination, but 3 of one suit is never great though

I disagree.

-  This hand I like for a few reasons:  you can make a whole whack of straights, and about 1/2 of them are the nuts... you have wrap draws if you hit.

-  I would actually prefer three suits here than two because I'm not drawing at any flush with a 7 high, instead, having these three spades allows them to act in a defensive manner, giving a person 6 outs rather than 9 in the board hits.

I call from UTG, and also most raises as well.

Rest of the hand is okay IMO...  I like check/call mode on that flop given the # of hands you're beat by.... you have 5's w/ 7 kicker... not great.  As g2 said, the river bet should have been lower, only because he'll not call much unless he's out-boated you, where he'll re-raise.

HAND 3:

Basically what G2 said, though I doubt I can fold this hand pre-flop with no raise infront.  I don't re-raise the turn, and checking down is fine.

Mark
  • E -

If you are just starting out, and even if you have been playing for a while, I pitch all of those hands.

They are pretty much all junk.

Those mid-connecting hand rarely give you a nut str8 and PL Omaha Hi = Nut hands.

Remember you have 4 cards and they all need to work together - as soon as you have a 5 or 8 in your hand you start having hands like K-5 K-8 in your hand.

If you are just beginning it would be helpful to review the Hutchison Omaha Point System. You can find it easily by googling it.

If you are just starting out - Hand selection is A MUST. Memorize this system and you will well above any of the players at the limits you are playing.
  • Hutchison Omaha Point System

Thanks for the comments guys, and I will google this Tom, thanks!