fallsview wpt blinds

i just noticed the new rules and regulations posted today on the fallsview website.

anyone know the difference between the qualifying round and championship round blinds? what is the difference? when is one used over the other?

4ceps

Comments

• The blind schedule is the same for all of the WPT events (sats and main). The starting chip amounts and time for the blind levels changes for each step.
  • 4ceps is referring to the weird Blind Schedule B and C for the CHAMPIONSHIP rounds (NOT the first day).  I wonder if it will be like the Elgin Invitational Poker Classic II where players who survive Day 1 start off the next round with a new and reduced schedule of blinds, which Fallsview arbitrarily chooses.  Just when we thought quadrupling the blinds was weird enough, Fallsview's blind structure gets even weirder!
    4ceps wrote:
    i just noticed the new rules and regulations posted today on the fallsview website.
    anyone know the difference between the qualifying round and championship round blinds?  what is the difference? when is one used over the other?
  • BlondeFish wrote:
    4ceps is referring to the weird Blind Schedule B and C for the CHAMPIONSHIP rounds (NOT the first day).  I wonder if it will be like the Elgin Invitational Poker Classic II where players who survive Day 1 start off the next round with a new and reduced schedule of blinds, which Fallsview arbitrarily chooses.  Just when we thought quadrupling the blinds was weird enough, Fallsview's blind structure gets even weirder!
    4ceps wrote:
    anyone know the difference between the qualifying round and championship round blinds?  what is the difference? when is one used over the other?
    As per Acidjoe, Niagara is dong nothing different than the rest as far as blinds go, and it's not quadrupling the blinds is it. I think you are referring to the CPR (Cost per round) aren't you? Big difference.
  • The Championship Blind Sturctures are dictated by the WPT and are the same at each and every event on the WPT - it is the blind schedule for the final table only. There is a calculation based on the chips in play as to where the blind levels start for the final table. Oh, and it's nice to see BlondeFish is as pleasant as usual.
  • pokermojo wrote:
    The Championship Blind Sturctures are dictated by the WPT and are the same at each and every event on the WPT - it is the blind schedule for the final table only.  There is a calculation based on the chips in play as to where the blind levels start for the final table.  Oh, and it's nice to see BlondeFish is as pleasant as usual. 

that's what i figgered; it was confusing that they would list the championship blinds in the rules, but not mention when it would be in effect..
    thanks for clearing it up

4ceps
  • If you've been following the news, this is one of the big things that the players are complaining about in the WPT final tables. They reset the blinds back, then increase the speed of each round, increasing it again once they get to heads up.
  • Read Phil Gordon's article about WPT's "ridiculous" blind structure:
    One of the most annoying things to me and a lot of the other professional poker players is the ridiculous blind structure the World Poker Tour forces on the contestants at the end of the tournament. These players, who have battled it out for five or six days find themselves at the final table playing for many millions of dollars. Unfortunately, the blind structure eliminates most of the skill and turns the final table into an “all-in fest.”
    :
    The World Poker Tour should take notice of the extra spectacular effort made by the crew at the World Series of Poker this past year. That final table lasted more than 18 hours. When the players finally got heads up, they were still playing 2 hour levels and they had more than 100 big blinds combined. Now that, readers, is enough chips to let the skill rise to the top.

With so much money on the line, don’t you think the most skillful players should have a chance to show it? This, among many other reasons, is why I have refused to participate in World Poker Tour events for the last year. I miss playing on the WPT. I have two WPT wins under my belt and I’d love to compete for more. But until the WPT realizes that they are truly hurting the integrity of the game for the sake of their precious television show and profits, I’ll stay as far away from their tournaments as possible.

It's too bad that some of the best players will boycott the Fallsview WPT event, including Greg Raymer, Joe Hachem, Chris Ferguson, Mike Matusow, Howard Lederer, Annie Duke, Andy Bloch and Phil Gordon.  :'(
    Zithal wrote:
    If you've been following the news, this is one of the big things that the players are complaining about in the WPT final tables.   They reset the blinds back, then increase the speed of each round, increasing it again once they get to heads up.
  • There are seven players who are suing the WPT for their disclosure forms, not their blind structure. The blind structure is a gripe, but not a basis of the lawsuit. The WSOP final table lasted 18 hours ten-handed. The WPT final tables last 8-10 hours, but they only begin six-handed - which is genereally quicker poker. Phil Gordon would be completely unknown if not for the WPT as the WPT wins gave him credibility to write his books and attain the Host position on Celebrity Poker. Four of the players are WSOP Main Event champions (Raymer, Hachem, Ferguson, Moneymaker), the other three are Gordon, Lederer and Annie Duke. Lederer and Duke also owe the majority of their exposure to the WPT. Coincidentally enough, and very quietly, Howard Lederer is also on the player advisory panel to the WPT - but he never mentions that. So, to clarify BlondeFish's statements, there are seven players that will be boycotting the WPT, not Fallsview. The rest of the "TV pros" who have been contacted are extremely excited about the Fallsview event as they will get more exposure in another country, which is their main goal nowadays. The disclosure forms for the WSOP are more restricting than the WPT disclosure forms - and by a longshot.
  • BlondeFish wrote:
    It's too bad that some of the best players will boycott the Fallsview WPT event, including Greg Raymer, Joe Hachem, Chris Ferguson, Mike Matusow, Howard Lederer, Annie Duke, Andy Bloch and Phil Gordon.
    I don't think Mike Matusow belongs in that list... he's a donk IMO.

/g2
  • g2 wrote:
    I don't think Mike Matusow belongs in that list... he's a donk IMO.
    Focusing on his playing ability and ignoring his personality, I totally disagree.  I think Matusow is a great player who simply doesn't have the stamina to continue to play his A-game throughout a tournament (or cash game - he cleaned up on High Stakes till he continued to play when he was tired).
  • beanie42 wrote:
    Focusing on his playing ability and ignoring his personality, I totally disagree. I think Matusow is a great player who simply doesn't have the stamina to continue to play his A-game throughout a tournament (or cash game - he cleaned up on High Stakes till he continued to play when he was tired).
    Ahh... I haven't seen much of High Stakes Poker. I've only seen him in tournies plus part of a biography on him.

/g2
  • Ferguson, Lederer, Gordon, Bloch, yes, too bad they won't be here, as for they rest, meh...
  • what tournament have you seen mike matusow play in where he played poorly?
  • matusow is a total donk, he loses huge online and is almost busto.