Online Poker Talk Acronyms

Hey Guys,
  I have been playing poker for about 5 years now, both on-line and in live games; but am relatively new to this forum.  I have played a lot of on line games; but as of yet I am not completely accustomed to chatting about the results of my on-line sessions.  The reason I thought this pertanent to mention is that in this section of the forum there are a ton of Acronyms being used to describe play, and situations, some of which I am not familiar with. 

So, I thought perhaps we could use this topic to post any acronyms we use or have seen used, that newbies (and experienced players alike) may not have seen before. I feel like this would really help some people who, like myself, find it very useful, and helpful to read stories of peoples bad beats, great lay downs, and general experiences; but sometimes find myself wondering, what the heck does 5ptbb/100 mean??  :D

So if you feel this is helpful please feel free to post any acronyms you have used, or any news ones you plan to make up and would like to stick. :)   I'll get it started with some of the obvious, and easy ones.

BB = Big Blind
SB = Small Blind

UTG = Under the Gun (ie. the person to the left of the BB)
SNG = Sit and Go (a tournament that starts as soon as there are enough players)
STT = Single Table Tournament (is what is sounds like it is)
OOP = Out of Position
Donk = Donkey or Fish (Bad Player)

Here's a few none poker related ones that often are used

IMO = In my opinion
IMHO = In my humble opinion
BTW = By The Way
FAQ = Frequently asked questions

I know these all seem pretty obvious; but I'm just trying to get the ball rolling, and am more interested in the not-so-obvious ones, starting with the
5ptbb/100 I saw used earlier today.

I had a $500+ night at .50/1.00 NL, and am averaging 11BB/100 (5PTBB) for the last 10,000 hands.

-Beanie42 in a topic on a bad beat he took

Cheers guys.

-Dave

Comments

• CanadaDave wrote:
    UTG = Under the Gun (ie. the first person to act, the small blind position preflop)
    Correction:
    UTG = Under the Gun (ie. the first person to act preflop, the person after the BB)

/g2
  • g2 wrote:
    Correction:
    UTG = Under the Gun (ie. the first person to act preflop, the person after the BB)
    /g2

Oops, I was referring to the post flop play, but I see why that was confusing, I've corrected it.
  • CanadaDave wrote:
    Oops, I was referring to the post flop play, but I see why that was confusing, I've corrected it.
    CanadaDave wrote:
    UTG = Under the Gun (ie. the first person to act: preflop its the person to the left of the BB and postflop its the person to the left of the dealer)
    UTG is always the person after the BB. What you are referring to as UTG, is actually just the "first player to act". The player who is UTG preflop is still referred to as UTG after the flop (even though they are not necessarily first to act postflop).

/g2
  • Some other acronyms...

PF = Preflop
    FC = Flat Call

EP = Early position
    MP = Middle Position
    LP = Late Position

UTG+1 = player to the left of UTG
    CO = Cutoff (i.e. player to the right of the button)
    CO+1 = player to the right of CO (two positions right of the button)

[low|medium|high] PP = Pocket Pair

/g2
  • CanadaDave wrote:
    I know these all seem pretty obvious; but I'm just trying to get the ball rolling, and am more interested in the not-so-obvious ones, starting with the
    5ptbb/100 I saw used earlier today.

I had a $500+ night at .50/1.00 NL, and am averaging 11BB/100 (5PTBB) for the last 10,000 hands.

-Beanie42 in a topic on a bad beat he took
    BB/100 is big bets per hundred hands.  If you are playing $1/$2 fixed limit (so blinds are .50/$1), 2BB/100 would be $4 profit every 100 hands.  For NL, there is no big bet, so it's usually considered big blinds.  Playing $1/$2 NL, 10BB/100 would be $20.  However, PokerTracker shows NL in terms of big bets by doubling the big blind.  So the same $20 would be shown as 5 big bets in PT, so 5PTBB/100.

Basically, 2BB/100 (no limit) = 1PTBB/100 (no limit) = 1BB/100 (fixed limit)

Hopefully that makes sense...
  • nc = nice call
    nb = nice bet
    nh = nice hand
    nc = nice catch
    n1 = nice one
    wtg = way to go
    gg = good game
    r u kidding? = did your runner-runner hit AGAIN (correct response is "gg")
  • BB/100 is big bets per hundred hands.  If you are playing $1/$2 fixed limit (so blinds are .50/$1), 2BB/100 would be $4 profit every 100 hands.  For NL, there is no big bet, so it's usually considered big blinds.  Playing $1/$2 NL, 10BB/100 would be $20.  However, PokerTracker shows NL in terms of big bets by doubling the big blind.  So the same $20 would be shown as 5 big bets in PT, so 5PTBB/100.

Basically, 2BB/100 (no limit) = 1PTBB/100 (no limit) = 1BB/100 (fixed limit)

Hopefully that makes sense...
    Perfect sense Beanie

Thanks.
  • The acronym BB is the most misunderstood acronym in online poker discussion.

Most people who are talking about win rates use BB to mean "big bet" rather than "big blind". In the case of no-limit, BB ususally refers to (rather arbitrarily) twice the big blind.

This is the first time I've ever seen PTBB used. This (to me) would be the same thing as BB when discussion win rates.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    This is the first time I've ever seen PTBB used. This (to me) would be the same thing as BB when discussion win rates.
    Probably not the first time you've seen it - you clarified this last year ;)
    So you're paying 9.2 Big blinds per 100 hands .... or 4.6 Pokertracker big blinds ( PTBB) per 100 hands
    ScottyZ wrote:
    2. In discussing rates per 100 hands, BB always stands for big bets, not big blinds. In a NL games, the convention is that the "BB" is twice the big blind.
  • Yes, I'm sure I've droned on about "BB" at least once before. :)

I meant that it was the first time I've seen the "PTBB" acronym specifically.

ScottyZ
  • YPLC- You Play Like Crap

#$%^&*^$#%*&(- French for GG
  • beanie42 wrote:
    ScottyZ wrote:
    Probably not the first time you've seen it - you clarified this last year ;)
    So you're paying 9.2 Big blinds per 100 hands .... or 4.6 Pokertracker big blinds ( PTBB) per 100 hands
    ScottyZ wrote:
    2. In discussing rates per 100 hands, BB always stands for big bets, not big blinds. In a NL games, the convention is that the "BB" is twice the big blind.

Wow, you sorted through the forum all the way back there to quote him and prove your point? very thorough :D
  • I know the meaning but I'm clueless to the orgin.

wtf does pwned come from.

Cheers
    Magi
  • LOL magi but the kids here actually use it in sentences (sorta like cole esque language).  Here is the origin as I understand it:

A corruption of the word "Owned." This originated in an online game called Warcraft, where a map designer misspelled "owned." When the computer beat a player, it was supposed to say, so-and-so "has been owned."

Instead, it said, so-and-so "has been pwned."

It basically means "to own" or to be dominated by an opponent or situation, especially by some god-like or computer-like force.

"Man, I rock at my job, but I still got a bad evaluation. I was pwned." Here is the coleque lingo.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ownage

When I used to play a lot of FPS (first person shooters) I used the Nick Name Dr. OwNaGe

drown1.jpg

I OWN JOO!!!!
  • I don't think I have actually seen the word pwn since playing quake 2 back in the day. :)  Is it actually starting to be used in on-line poker as well?  :D

Should we take this as a sign internet gamers are officially endorsing the on-line poker scene?

And more importantly... is this a good thing or a bad thing for poker players with skill? Can quick reflexes, translate into good poker? hehe
    probably not. They'll probable just be victims of pwnge. :D