h'n'r Chat Attack

Anyone who plays with me knows I'm usually polite, and not much for trash talk (except "in-fun" with friends). Yesterday (see http://pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=10518) I went off.

I've learned to handle the bad beats pretty well, I think. That big hand yesterday was only 1 of many, and the only one I needed to take a short (1 lap) break from. I don't berate horrible play but instead I congratulate (and encourage) it. However, the thing that bugs me most is h'n'r (hit & run). Over time I think I can recover and outplay most of my opponents, so the only thing that's devastating is when money is taken off the table.

I've seen this opponent do this a few times, which is why I made the comment I did about him being a coward. Later, he came back (and bought in for only 1/2 what he cashed out for :( ), and when I berated him a bit more (with very vocal support from 2 or 3 other players), he started denying it and whining that he doesn't do that, etc., and that it was dinner time, and blah blah...

I know the chat is mostly pointless and I ignore it, and I don't normally get into pissing contests or bad beat flame wars. For some reason, this bugs me more than almost anything else online, and when you combine my pet peeve with my worst beat, I seem to lose some discipline.

Anyway, am I silly for allowing this to bug me? Also, is it inappropriate to do this (chat attack the villain)?

Comments

• I think you were just steaming over the one hand. To get upset at someone for taking their money and leaving is part of gambling. It is a bit of poor manners but there is no rule against it.

Honestly I think it is worse to call a guy a coward for it. Especially over the internet.

Of course if you had won that hand, it was YOU who put the bad beat on him!
  • From the hand history it sounds like you kind of talked him into leaving... not the best plan for getting your money back ;)

I have no problem with attacking somebody over chat, as long as you realize it's all just BS and neither of you really care. If you ever let something someone says on the internet bother you, then it's something you should avoid. But I think it's a pretty healthy (but immature) way to vent some frustration. If it helps you avoid tilting (which it does sometimes for me) then do it.

/g2
  • It is a bit of poor manners but there is no rule against it.
    I know, but it sucks when it's so obvious.  As soon as the "timeout" on the site ended so he could come back for less, he did.  If he cashed out for the night, it may have been a bit more bearable.
    Of course if you had won that hand, it was YOU who put the bad beat on him!
    I don't think that would be a bad beat, since it didn't all go in preflop.
    g2 wrote:
    From the hand history it sounds like you kind of talked him into leaving... not the best plan for getting your money back ;)
    No, he was leaving anyway. As I mentioned, I'd seen this same guy do this a few times before. As soon as I lost the hand I knew he would bolt, which is why I started in on him. Part of it was frustration, but since this guy is a regular, part of me was actually hoping that by "calling him out" he might not leave (since it would look so bad).
  • I was just thinking about starting a thread on discussing HnR as a strategy.
    With online play and multitabling it makes it very easy to HnR taking many small slices of the pie rather then waiting for the whole pie.
    If you win a big pot, and you are playing with players who are somewhat decent, aren't the odds against you that you are going to give some back? I won't get up and leave, but if I find that after a few rounds that I'm getting cold cards or others start to fold on any sign of aggression then chances are that I'm not going to win much more until they forget the last big pot. Unless the table is loose or loosens up there is no point in just stealing blinds (maybe in higher limits). Just my thoughts.
  • Milamber wrote:
    I was just thinking about starting a thread on discussing HnR as a strategy.
    LOL - go for it.  It's my pet peeve, but I have some good friends who actually do this.  The annoyance is my own problem, I gotta learn to deal.  As a strategy though, I personally think it's stupid, but others disagree.  Basically, while it does reduce your risk, it also reduces your potential reward.  If I don't think I'm good enough to beat a table, I don't think I should sit down (either h'n'r or as a super-stack).
    Milamber wrote:
    If you win a big pot, and you are playing with players who are somewhat decent, aren't the odds against you that you are going to give some back?
    Yes.  However, usually you don't have a table of good players, even at the highest limits (from what I've heard).  You can have a table with 6 or 7 sharks, but as long as you have 1 or 2 donators, it's still profitable.  At the tables I play, on any given night I would consider myself normally to be the 3rd best player, with a couple pretty close just below me, and 2-4 fish.  However, that still generates a profit of 5PTBB/100 for me. I always buy-in for at least 75% of max, and I never cash out till I'm done (regardless of my stack size).
    Milamber wrote:
    if ... I find that after a few rounds that I'm getting cold cards
    that's normal - play through it
    Milamber wrote:
    if ... others start to fold on any sign of aggression
    start stealing like a madman
    Milamber wrote:
    I'm not going to win much more until they forget the last big pot
    At these limits, don't count on it.  The good players are regulars, so you play each other every night, and they know how you play - 1 pot won't change that.  The bad players simply don't pay attention, or remember, or care.
    Milamber wrote:
    Unless the table is loose or loosens up there is no point in just stealing blinds (maybe in higher limits).
    My experience is that in NL, stealing blinds keeps you alive, big pots are your profit.  Stealing blinds is basically your entire job while waiting for a hand to stack someone with.

Just my thoughts, but I'm still learning...
  • Interesting thread.  I know I was miffed by hnr players, but now I'm very much at peace with it.  Here's a couple of notes

1) I started using the hnr strategy on some players who would go nuts because I hnr them.  I did this mainly when I was playing heads up, so that an hnr is much more effective, since the victim has  no one to play with after I hnr.  The victim them sought me out on subsequent days and played very poorly against me.  Once I realized this was a good strategy, not because of the hnr value, but because of the effect on the player, I realized I needed to be more at ease when it happened to me.

2) I would get really, really sad  :'(  when some players at BCC would leave.  They knew if they stayed for a few more hours it would all be gone, as did I -- hence the sadness.  I never said anything though.  Then I read Greenstein's book.  He mentions that it's just a big circle of poker life (paraphrasing).  They will come back, they will donate, and it will eventually go to the good players.  Maybe not directly, but it will get there.  The person who takes their place may be a hnr guy from the previous day.   So, it does work out.

I'm much more at peace with it now.  Especially since  I know others get pissed when it happens and they are now my targets.  Much better  to have a pissed off good player who plays poorly than a lucky bad player who is playing well.  Just some thoughts!

Cheers
    Magi
  • Ooops forgot one thing. Once the money is gone from your stack -- it's not your money -- trying to win your money back is futile, since it's not your money. It's one of the biggest reasons for tilt.

Cheers
    Magi
  • Good comments Lou, although you weren't supposed to read this, since I'm botching your lessons :( .  I'm trying to follow your advice and think "customer" rather than "donkey", and this was obviously "poor service" on my part.  And I think you're right - this tilted me more than it affected them.
    magithighs wrote:
    Ooops forgot one thing.  Once the money is gone from your stack -- it's not your money -- trying to win your money back is futile, since it's not your money.
    When certain players sit down (this one among them), I no longer consider it their money, I consider it mine soon. However, this "conscious" thought is obviously at odds with my emotional outburst, since I'll still get all his chips, just in smaller increments.   I'm usually pretty careful not to target certain players for emotional reasons and prefer skill-based targets, but I think this points out a possible weakness I have against hnr's.  At least now I know and can work on it ;)
  • What Lou said.

:cool:

I do believe that there should be some kind of implementation of the "can't leave the game to reduce your stack size" rule (usually a time limit before re-joining). Even this rule has its downside--- it might even be better for an uber-fish who is so uncomfortable playing a large stack that he would leave the game entirely to be allowed to stack down and stay in the game instead.

The implication here
    I know, but it sucks when it's so obvious. As soon as the "timeout" on the site ended so he could come back for less, he did. If he cashed out for the night, it may have been a bit more bearable.

seems to be that you believe that the timeout on the site you are playing at is too short. Apart from changing sites, or making a complaint/recommendation to the site to lengthen the time, unfortunately, there is little you can do about this. But don't forget to keep session-to-session poker in perspective. His next session is just his next session. The passing of an overnight period (measured in your own time zone) between your opponent's sessions is absolutely insignificant.

In terms of the original hit-and-run idea, anyone can leave any poker game at any time for any reason. Giving someone a hard time for leaving a poker game (I'm not talking about a light-hearted needling) is rude behaviour.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Giving someone a hard time for leaving a poker game (I'm not talking about a light-hearted needling) is rude and unethical.
    Last night it seemed ok.  This morning it felt a bit dirty and questionable.  Now, based on the responses, I'm pretty sure I screwed up :( <hangs head in shame>
  • Man, when you reply so fast, how can I edit my posts the way I want them. :)

I woudn't take it too hard. It honestly depends on how your opponent receives the comment. That is, it may well be that your opponent simply heard you giving him a light-hearted needling.

I do think that the real source of the conflict here may be your feeling that the stack-down time limit is too short. It may very well be worth bringing this issue up with the site you play at, even if only for theraputic reasons if not actually affecting change.

ScottyZ
  • Stop getting so emotionally invested in short term results. I recently started investing in the stock market, now THERES a place where you can experience large amounts of volitility with no news. It helps you to understand those 'long roads' you always hear people talking about.
  • H'N'R is a great idea. I'm never just gonna stick around to give someone a chance to get some money back, when I win big, i'm out of there.
  • H'N'R is a great idea. I'm never just gonna stick around to give someone a chance to get some money back, when I win big, i'm out of there.

Is that part of your crusade too?

Clearly you're not comfortable with the fact that you can win on a regular basis.