How did you bust out in Zithal's tourney?

I want ALL the gory details! :)

To repeat what I said in the other post....

Finally, the hand in which Dick Hertz busted me out. It was
folded to me on the button and I raised to 3BB with JJ. The SB
folded and Dick pushed all-in on the BB, covering me. I called instantly showing JJ and he shows AQ -- a classic coin flip.
No help on the flop, no help on the turn, but a hideous Ace on the river. IGHN. You have to win some of these coin flips to win a tournament, and I think we both played this hand fine.

Comments

• Blinds were at 400/800 and I was sitting with 3600TC In early position. I looked at my cards and saw K8h. At this time Average stack was around 6000TC. I decided to make a move and tossed in 2,000. Table folded up to Zithal in the BB who raised enough to Tap me. At that moment I figured that I was probably a dog, but blinds were going up to 500/1000 soon and if I mucked I'd survive the blinds with a measely 100TC so I made the call and muttered "Lets see how big of a dog I am?" and Zithal flipped JJ. Flop came Rag, 8, Rag of Hearts. So needed a King, an 8 or Runner-Runner Hearts to stay alive. Turn came Rag of Hearts so things were looking decent, 2 8's, 3 K's or 9 Hearts. 14 outs, not to bad, but river came a rag do I busted out in 6th place. I shook everybodies hand and was promptly shuffled off to the Swag table to select my Hat so the 8th and 9th place finishers knew they were getting a T-Shirt and could head home.
  • It was the first hand of heads up and the blinds were 500/1000. We took a chip count just before this and I had 17,000 to Hork 42's 18,500.

I was on the button and got dealt K:club: 6:diamond: . I raised to 4,500 (which was my first stupid play). Hork thought for a bit and called all-in.

At the moment, my inner voice was yelling at me that he had an ace, but my one-in-the-morning brain would have none of it and I heard an voice from somewhere say call. Hork turned up A:club: 9:spade: which put him as a 63% favorite.

The board helped no one.. J:diamond: T:spade: 8:club: 4:spade: J:club: and I was out.

I was REALLY embarassed with my play heads up, but that's life. Stupid play on my part. As I cleaned up cards the next day I turned over the burn card for the river and it was a 6. So close, yet so far!
  • Five players, blinds 500-1000. After surving an all-in double up from 700 to 1400 from the small blind, I fail to see a remotely playable hand in the 3 hands before the next big blind. Zithal open raises to 2 or 3 grand from 2nd UTG/cutoff. It's folded to me and I call blind for 400 more. He has AT against my 74, and it's all over when he turns the broadway straight.

ScottyZ
  • 4 Players... Blinds 500/1000... I'm the short stack with T3700... I'm UTG and find AJs, I push, Dick folds, Zinthal folds the SB, but Hork42 calls in the BB. He flips over KQo so I'm happy with the 62/38 edge... until... a queen falls on the flop... no help for me comes and I get 4th.
  • I am sad that I cannot contribute to this thread.... ;)

My demise in the satellite tournament was not spectacular, I made a play with K4 suited. I was close to blinding out so I picked a hand to push and was called by Scotty who happened to have a better hand.

hork.
  • Zithal raised to 800 from middle-position on my BB (300). I had about 1100 left and jammed with Big Slick. He called (pot committed), and when I saw that Zithal had KQ, I thought my luck had finally changed and that I could maybe start to make some noise, but as is sometimes the case, the flop was unkind.

Zithal hit his Q, but the board also had a J, so I had a ton of outs. Still had a chance to make a straight with any 10, or catch any K or A to take him down, but no such luck.

At least he put my chips to good use, and a 2nd place finish. Nice work Z.
  • Hork42 wrote:
    I am sad that I cannot contribute to this thread.... ;)
    lol...very funny!!
  • I actually busted out on 45o, but at that point I had something like 200 left and it was either go all in that hand or let the blind force me all in next hand. I was crippled from the hand previous, where I called UTG (I think the blinds were about 400/800, but I'm not sure exactly), it folded to ScottyZ who went all in for around $2500, and I called with 44 against ScottyZ's KQ(I think suited, clubs?). He hit on the flop and it was over. I also had been punished by Mickey Hold'em a few hands prior when I made the minimum raise with 66, he went all in for only 400 more to me, and I called only to see him turn over 99.
  • The rapid decline for me began with a hand vs Astroboy. He made the minimum raise preflop (everyone had folded to him) and I was in the BB with 99 and call. The flop came AJ4, turn was a Q I believe and the river was a brick. I could tell right away that Astro had a pair under the board from the way he was betting. (I believe he bet 75 on the flop and again on the turn, then checked the river) when he checked the river to me, knowing he didn't have an ace or face to pair the board I bet $500 (which in hindsight probably made it too obvious I was trying to buy it) I simply didn't think he could call without at least a Q...well, he did and showed 10/10 to beat my 99. That wasn't the hand I bust out on, but after that I decided that it looked as though I could indeed make it to my friends bday party, so I might as well try to go big or go home....and home it was.
  • I was ready to leave and decided to play loose (dumb) and go all in next face card i actually went all in post flop with nothign but overcards and lost, then went all in blind and won and then was put all in with 99 and lost..

i am goign to use the old i was tired excuse and then use anecdotal proof:

So i left house turned right onto bridgeport(?) and start cruising at 120 ..into what I soon find oud it a 3 lane 1 way highway....from the oncoming really fast cars swerving and beeping all around me...so that woke me up for a while...

then i got lost in side streets trying to find 85...i find 85 and miss my exit by about 30 minutes and end up in some township that zithal had never heard of...so i turn around and find exit to 8 and then find 401

401 express seems to be closed in mississauga (i have to get to scarborough) and traffic is stopped in the collectors for miles...so i try side streets to get east again.....I am stuck in some industrial warehouse maze of streets when gaslight comes on....luckily i find a gas station and fill up..then i pull into its parking lot and fall asleep....

I wake up a while(?) later and notice i had even left the car running..i get directions to 401 and finally get home ( sometime between 3 and 4). Funny thign is i wanted to leave tourney because i thought it might go until like 2am and i wouldn't get home until 3-4 since i had to go to kingston in the morning.

all in all it was an interesting time..but next time i want the "exciting" table instead of the "nice table :)
  • Which are the words Hork was saying to himself when I pushed all-in yet again! Being short stacked from the hand prior to our first break on a good hand with Ventrick, I found myself with about 375 in chips. (Hardly anything to cheer about) It was a good hand I had A7suited and drew A's and 4 clubs off the flop. I bet and was called after the flop and turn which brought nothing. Knowing now that I was in pretty deep I was praying for that club. Alas, it did not come and I was looking to double up after the break.
    After the break, was when Scotty when on his crazy pocket pair streak so it was tough to get in for my chances. An A9 suited came and I pushed all-in. Hork called after some thought and flipped his pocket kings. I lucked out and flopped a couple A's and prayed for no K to come for Hork's full house.
    Double Up Good! After seeing a few flops I found an A 10 and pushed in my last 400 chips or so. Hork called me yet again! But this time, he only had KK yet again. :) The rest was history!
    Then I got destroyed in the side table! :)
    Came home played in a couple $20 sit and go's and won them both!
    A little redemption!
  • If one hand I witnessed stuck in my head from the tournament, it was the Sloth/Astroboy hand with 10's vs 9's. Wow! Gutsy play from both of them, and both seemed to have a read on each other, knowing that their opponent didn't have the A, J, or Q.
  • An interesting part of the trip for me was when I discovered that Bridgeport was a one-way street after turning the wrong way onto it and seeing headlights. :redface: No harm done.

As for busting out, I made the worst play you can make in a NL hold'em tournament: I called off all of my chips with a small pocket pair.

Basically, I was doing well at my first table, until Mickey Hold'Em decided to keep me in line. Either that, or he happened to have a hand whenever I had a marginal hand that I'd raised with, or whenever I was on a complete steal. One time I lost a bunch of chips was when I raised preflop with AK, he called with AQ, flop came queen high, he checked, I bet the pot, he raised, and I had to fold. Ugh.

As for the last hand, well, I'd been getting crappy cards for quite some time and was down to around 1400 I believe at the 100/200 level.

I was BB with 44. Teach raised the minimum from MP, my g/f called, and I called, hoping to flop a set or see a rag-ish flop. The flop came T82 or something, not bad for me. I checked, Teach moved in, and I knew I'd call him if Natalie folded. There was 1300 in the pot, and I could see Teach moving in in that spot with overcards, because the pot was worth picking up.

All bad reasoning apparently, because I called and he had pocket 8's. Dead to running fours, I was out of the tournament. Yuck.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • LOL micr0be I'm glad I wasn't the only one!!! Leaving the tournament, I was in brainless 'just reverse the directions to get home' mode, and turned back down Bridgeport as well. I am not sure about this, but I didn't see any one-way signs. Of course, they must be there, but just not where I guess I'm used to seeing them.

We suck.

all_aces
  • " wrote:

Basically, I was doing well at my first table, until Mickey Hold'Em decided to keep me in line. Either that, or he happened to have a hand whenever I had a marginal hand that I'd raised with, or whenever I was on a complete steal. One time I lost a bunch of chips was when I raised preflop with AK, he called with AQ, flop came queen high, he checked, I bet the pot, he raised, and I had to fold. Ugh.
    I was in a fortunate situation on that specific hand, having flopped the queen. During the early rounds, you were doing a nice job of slowly building your stack. At some point I made a conscious effort to play back at you a few times. Sometimes it's easier to get a GOOD player to lay down a marginal hand. Your "rep" preceeds you and I figured you would want to stay away from close decisions (as good players are supposed to).

I may not have ths exactly right, but... I had one interesting hand against teach. The blinds were still low and he raised about 5x the BB. I took a long time to call, and I think the flop came 655. I bet out the min. and he raised again. I put him on high pockets and considered reraising him back. He admitted after the hand that he probably lays it down since he put me on Ax after my lengthy pre-flop thought and a big reraise from me is screaming "SET, SET, SET" in his ear. I didn't know him well enough to make that play back at him.
  • As for all those that forgot Bridgeport was a one way (fortunately I lived in Waterloo for a couple years)... On the way to Zinthal's... exit off 85 merges into right hand lane... Drive car 8 blocks... turn left onto Weber from extreme left lane (next to curb... aka ONE WAY street). Funny how 6 hrs of poker and a few pops can mess up your heads. Glad no one got hurt!!!:D
  • I was in a fortunate situation on that specific hand, having flopped the queen. During the early rounds, you were doing a nice job of slowly building your stack. At some point I made a conscious effort to play back at you a few times. Sometimes it's easier to get a GOOD player to lay down a marginal hand. Your "rep" preceeds you and I figured you would want to stay away from close decisions (as good players are supposed to).
    Yeah, you did a good job of slowing me down. I was on a little roll there for a while, and between that AK/AQ hand and a few smaller ones between us, it turned bad for me. I was feeling a bit uneasy about entering a pot without a solid holding, and that's never good. Of course, guess what, it was exactly that time that I stopped getting any solid holdings lol.

Damn "rep"... ;) To quote Mr. Burns: "I'd trade it all for a little more..."

Regards,
    all_aces
  • As for all those that forgot Bridgeport was a one way (fortunately I lived in Waterloo for a couple years)... On the way to Zinthal's... exit off 85 merges into right hand lane... Drive car 8 blocks... turn left onto Weber from extreme left lane (next to curb... aka ONE WAY street). Funny how 6 hrs of poker and a few pops can mess up your heads. Glad no one got hurt!!!:D

Did *everyone* have problems driving to/from this tourney?

I lived in Waterloo for several years, and got lost on the way home. Might have been the new constriction on Hwy 7/8, might have been the fact that I hardly ever get on the 7/8/85(86) using the Erb/Bridgeport on-ramp. Whatever happened, I never ended up getting on the 8 East from 7 West, and didn't notice until I was around Fisher-Hallman. Did the exit/U-turn and was back on track.

Not to mention the brain fart of arriving at 12:30 thinking the tourney started at 1:00 (and the meet-n-greet at 12:00). Of course, the fact that I had the starting time wrong lead to the most innaccurate statement of the day: "I don't read the forum very often." -ScottyZ

Maybe we were all more concerned with poker than driving that day. :cool:

ScottyZ
  • I was BB with 44. Teach raised the minimum from MP, my g/f called, and I called, hoping to flop a set or see a rag-ish flop. The flop came T82 or something, not bad for me. I checked, Teach moved in, and I knew I'd call him if Natalie folded. There was 1300 in the pot, and I could see Teach moving in in that spot with overcards, because the pot was worth picking up.

Easiest call in the tournament. It's teach. You are truly unlucky that he can beat the fours.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Did *everyone* have problems driving to/from this tourney?
    No.... I had problems BIKING to the tournament. For some
    reason my idiot brain thought that (a) the tourney started at
    1:00 and (b) Bristol was north of Erb. I biked around and around the wrong places at increasingly greater speed until 12:45, when sense finally prevailed. Hence my breathless and sweaty arrival at 12:50 and immediate quaffing of a liter of Gatorade. :)
  • I managed to remember that Bridgeport was a one way street from my drive to Zithal's as I was turning onto Weber and had no clue how to get back to the Highway, I decided to make a Right at the first street before Bridgeport and it took me to the Highway. There was much rejoicing.
  • Ventrick wrote:
    I managed to remember that Bridgeport was a one way street from my drive to Zithal's as I was turning onto Weber and had no clue how to get back to the Highway, I decided to make a Right at the first street before Bridgeport and it took me to the Highway. There was much rejoicing.

I think your Kudos meter just went up 1,384 points. "Good Line!"
    No.... I had problems BIKING to the tournament.

I guess not driving a car at all wins the "Most difficulty driving to the tourney" award hands-down. ;)

What's the over/under on how many students were looking down from their apartments going, "Is that my prof down there biking around in circles?"

ScottyZ
  • All Aces - it was a good call against me, as Scotty eluded to - I often haven 9/3 off with this all-in move - a rare good hand that you ran into. It was a pleasure playing with you......and your brother........and your girlfriend.......and your uncle's cousin etc.
  • teach wrote:
    All Aces - it was a good call against me, as Scotty eluded to - I often haven 9/3 off with this all-in move - a rare good hand that you ran into. It was a pleasure playing with you......and your brother........and your girlfriend.......and your uncle's cousin etc.

At least you sure do get paid off whenever you have the goods, teach. ;)

...and your brother Daryl, and your other brother Daryl.

Looking forward to the next "All_aces Family Reunion Poker Tour" event. I'll call Vince & Shana and set it up. :cool:

ScottyZ
  • Warning! This will most certainly be the weakest hand mentioned by anyone this thread. Yes I willingly put my entire stack in preflop with 23off.

We are 3 handed, blinds were 500-1000(they might have been 700-1500 I am sure someone else might remember) I have the small blind and around 4000 in chips. With the avg stack at 10000 I am in trouble at this point. I decide before I even look at my hand that I will move all in if the button(Hork) folds. I look down at 23off and push my stack into the middle. Zithal calls with AJ and my night is done when we both flop 1 pair but I dont improve.
    (as long as Zithal doesn't have a pocket pair I am not a big underdog here)

In this spot I felt I had to move no matter what I was holding...I would gain 1500 in chips and have the button the next hand. If I had successfully taken Zithal's blind I would have moved in again on the button for 5500.
  • sloth wrote:
    The rapid decline for me began with a hand vs Astroboy. He made the minimum raise preflop (everyone had folded to him) and I was in the BB with 99 and call. The flop came AJ4, turn was a Q I believe and the river was a brick. I could tell right away that Astro had a pair under the board from the way he was betting. (I believe he bet 75 on the flop and again on the turn, then checked the river) when he checked the river to me, knowing he didn't have an ace or face to pair the board I bet $500 (which in hindsight probably made it too obvious I was trying to buy it) I simply didn't think he could call without at least a Q...well, he did and showed 10/10 to beat my 99.

I believe what happened was that it was the third hand. Blinds were still minimum I limped in with TT and it was folded down to Neil in the BB who in turn raised it 100. I decided to reraise 200 just to put him on some cards. He called so I assumed he had either Ax or a middle pockets. The flop came AdJh8d I believe. Neil checked. I bet out 50 and Neil called. Turn came Qd with a flush possibility. I knew Neil didn't have the flush because there was no way he would call PF with a weak drawing hand. Neil check and I followed. The river came a bust card and Neil bet $500. I thought it over and the bet just didn't seem right. He knew I didn't hit the ace but I knew the same about him. So I called.

Anyways, I went out with 22. Hork UTG bet 2000 and I only had 2100 left. Action folded to me and it was two more games till I was BB. I figured I wouldn't get a much better hand and went AI. Hork had 44. No help for me and that was it.