Bad Beat - No Disguise

I've been running pretty good for the last 3 weeks.  I had a $500+ night at .50/1.00 NL, and am averaging 11BB/100 (5PTBB) for the last 10,000 hands.  I've had significant variance through the run, so I feel pretty good.  Yesterday I lost my third biggest pot, A-high flush vs straight flush.  As an actual question, I told Jenn I thought he had it (the SF), but felt that I had to pay him off anyway - dumb thinking, or just one of those hands?

Anyway, tonight I lost my biggest pot so far in my short career. Maybe not too impressive, since I am a low-limit guy.  Just thought I'd share my pain with my friends, so they can have a laugh ;) .  I had a little history with the UTG+1, so a wee bit of talking to get his chips in.  I knew if I told him my hand he wouldn't believe me.

.50/1.00 NL
UTG+1 ($189) limps.
Hero :kh :kc ($235) UTG+2 bets $4
UTG+1 raises to $19
Hero:  u again?
Hero calls
:jh :ks :9c
UTG+1 bets $30
UTG+1: yup
Hero: u got AA again?
Hero: I got KK though
Hero raises to $85
UTG+1 thinks for a while and re-raises all-in for $140 more
Hero calls
UTG+1: phuck
:10h
:qd
UTG+1: lol
Total Pot($378.70) | Rake ($3)
UTG+1 won with Straight, ten to ace [:ac :ah]
Hero lost with straight, nine to king [:kh :kc]
UTG+1: that'll teach u
Hero: and based on your history, you'll h'n'r, right coward
UTG+1: like this :)
UTG+1 leaves

Comments

• Perseverance pays.  The games were good, so I stuck it out, and actually finished up after a few horrible beats.  Variance sucks (especially in the short-term, and when playing NL ;) ), but I guess ya just gotta ride the wave. Here's how today ended up:

aug_13_small.jpg
  • 1000 hands for 25bb. i wonder what your risk-adjusted rate of return is on that?
  • Not to steal your post there beanie42 but who makes raises the pot to $20 in a .5/1.0 NL game? Isn’t that a bit of over kill?

What is the point of raising such a large amount?
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    1000 hands for 25bb. i wonder what your risk-adjusted rate of return is on that?
    No idea, but if you can teach me how to play NL without risk, I'd be grateful ;)
    BigChrisEl wrote:
    Not to steal your post there beanie42 but who makes raises the pot to $20 in a .5/1.0 NL game? Isn’t that a bit of over kill?

My thunder is intact ;) . I assume you mean pre-flop and he raise to $19. If you look at the action, after calling my raise the pot would be $9.50, so he re-raised the pot. Fairly standard, although it really helped narrow down his range...
  • BigChrisEl wrote:
    Not to steal your post there beanie42 but who makes raises the pot to $20 in a .5/1.0 NL game? Isn’t that a bit of over kill?

beanie beat me to it, but i'll post anyway...

It wasn't an open raise. It had been raised to $4 by the UTG+2 player (hero). The $20 was actually a limp/raise... which screams aces! Nice catch beanie ;) I'd make that call too with the implied odds.

/g2
  • g2 wrote:
    I'd make that call too with the implied odds.
    Ya - normally this is supposed to work ;)
  • IT's not implied odds that decided that call. He had pocket kings, you're not gonna fold pocket kings preflop to 20$ even if it's a UTG limp raise.
  • I think this has come up... but there are situations when one can fold KK...

Myself, best i've folded is QQ pre-flop

Mark