Best Poker Book??

Which do you guys think is the best poker book out there. I think the best one for Hold'em is Slansky's Hold'em poker for advanced players. I also think the T.J Cloutier book is pretty good. I have never read Super System by Brunson but I've heard good things.

Comments

• "Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky

ScottyZ
  • I'm with Scotty...
  • I particularly like the Cloutier series of books on PL/NL, limit Hold'em and his Omaha book. Right now I am trying to find a good 2nd book on Omaha.
  • Hi-Low split poker for Advanced Players, R.Zee-
    By far the most info I have pulled from a book. All others are good, but from a strictly learning experiance. This one gave me the most help.
  • Has anyone here read "the champtionship series Champtionship NO limit & pot limit Hold'em" by T.J Cloutier & Tom McEvoy? I just got the book lastnite an wanna know if anyone has any comments about it?

thanks
  • I really liked the way he values hands and his opinions on Pre-Flop, post-Flop play.

Reading that book change the way I play Hold'em tournaments, for the better.

I started winning a lot more sit and Go's as well as being able to hit the money stages more consistently in tournament play. I am currently re-reading it as we speak to try and identify holes in my late stages tournament play so that I might actually win one of these things. Of course I am also re-reading 2 other book. Including Tom McEvoy's book on tournament poker in general.

The one book I do not recommend buying (or at least it did very little for me) was the book by Phil Hellmuth.

The person I would really like to write a book would be Daniel Negreanu, I really like the way he plays his game.
  • Internet Texas Hold'em by Matthew Hilger.
  • Agreed with the comment about interest in a book by Daniel N. His website has a great selection of stories and comments.

My favorite is a report where he describes his thought process behind the all-in call with 97o against Mike M at the Showdown at the Sands that continually runs here in Canada. I remeber seeing that on TV and thinking that both guys were drunk.

It was very interested to follow his thought process behind why he played the hand the way he did.
  • have only read two and a half books.
    super system is good as far as the NL section is concerned but there are many elements of the book that are outdated in my opinion, and it doesn't read very easily (if that makes sense to anyone!).
    When i first started playing, believe it or not the first book i read was Winning at Poker by Dave Scharf, mostly because it was the cheapest one available at Chapters. It was great from an introductory stand point, and for its easy to follow charts and tables. Hellmuth's book i was expecting a lot more, was highly disappointed with it.
  • Agreed with the comment about interest in a book by Daniel N.

Daniel is one of the writers of Super System 2. Not sure what section he wrote though.
  • Ventrick wrote:
    Daniel is one of the writers of Super System 2. Not sure what section he wrote though.

From what I've read online, Daniel contributed the section on triple draw.