WSOP Chip Leader Jamie Gold Bio & Video after Win

video after winning title:

http://www.cardplayer.com/multimedia/videos/id/19890

see August 8th, half way down the page.  I would think he is one of the few players who actually bought in to the tournament for the full $10k

http://www.poker.com/blog/index.htm

Seems the poker gods are on his side but you never know what will happen... stay tuned.

Comments

• Great bio, a must read for those watching the FT tonight. What a refreshing attitude towards fame and fortune.

stp
  • The ESPN article is great. I really hope he means it.

Fame is an issue I have thought about. I think it takes a certain type of person to really want to be famous and bothered by people all the time.

Good for Jamie.
  • Friday, 11th of August 2006 03:06 AM
    All three saw the flop of 6 T 5 . Paul checked, Michael bet 1.2 million, and Jamie moved all in. Paul mucked and Michael called, showing AT for top pair, top kicker. Jamie held 34 for the open-ended straight draw. Paul says he folded the 78 of spades (open-ended straight flush draw).

As soon as I read this, I wondered why wouldn't Paul call with so many outs.  He had up to 15 outs, including the high end of an OESD and a 9s or 4s giving him the nut straight flush.  He had the pot odds and +EV to call with just about any card combination that the other players may have.  As it turned out, Paul did have the best chance among the three of winning and tripling up.

cards  win   %win  lose  %lose  tie  %tie     EV
    8s 7s  487  53.93   416  46.07    0  0.00  0.539
    4d 3h  154  17.05   749  82.95    0  0.00  0.171
    Ad Th  262  29.01   641  70.99    0  0.00  0.290
    Turn was a 7 completing Jamie’s straight and ending Michael’s tournament. (River was the Queen of spades which would have given Paul the flush if he had played.)

Had Paul made the correct call, he would have tripled up to 37 million and would be practically even against Jamie for the $12 million championship....  Does anybody disagree with my analysis?
  • I totally agree with you that he should have called, now that we know what his opponents were holding. However he had a tougher choice since he had to speculate on his opponent's hands. I just re-watched this hand, here's a bit of a transcript...

Paul checks
    Michael bets 1.2M
    Jamie: "I'm all-in"
    Paul:
    "That's sick"
    "This is sick"
    "Can I show them?" (motioning to the crowd - presumably someone says no)
    "God...are you kidding me?"
    Jamie (playing his mind-games): "If we all got a hand, let's do it, let's do it all three. Let's get it over with right now."
    Paul: "This is sick." (to Michael): "How much did you bet?"
    Jamie (interrupting): "Doesn't matter, I'm all in" ... (a bit of chatter I couldn't make out exactly) ... "You're getting good odds"
    Paul : "This is disgusting"
    Paul then folds and Michael calls.

The commentators felt that Paul was not willing to gamble on a draw, even a good one, given the difference in prize money between 3rd and second place. I'm not so sure the money was the factor, but Paul did want to win that bracelet.

Here's my take:

I feel that perhaps Paul thought that Michael had a big hand like KK, and given Jamie's quick push all-in, perhaps Jamie had AsTs or maybe just 2 bigger spades like AsJs. If this were really the case, it would have been closer to an even money proposition (really close if Gold has AsTs, but if Gold has AsJs the KK would be a 40% favourite to Paul's 33% to 27% for Jamie) and given that Gold had knocked out so many players (some on very lucky draws), Paul was not willing to risk his tournament life on what might have been only an open-ended straight draw (obviously if Jamie had 2 higher spades, Paul's flush would be beaten unless the 9s or 4s hit).

Just my thoughts based on the players' interactions and Paul's play. Paul was trying to avoid playing "all in" poker and wanted to see more cards, even at a cost, but not at the potentially ultimate cost. I'm sure he would have called Michael's 1.2M with no hesitation but the all-in really scared him -- and Jamie definitely knew that Paul would have trouble calling an all-in with any drawing hand.

Comments?

Mike