Do you keep betting 1/2 Limit (Tribeca) with lots of callers

Here is the hand history. It's one of those where I felt I was going to get run down no matter what I did. Do you keep betting or just give up. I hate to give players free draws at me. It's Tribeca so I know they are very loose (CNE loose from what I"m hearing). With a flop of 2 spades and 3 straightening cards how do you play it?

: Hand Start.
: Seat 1 : JQuam has $14.50
: Seat 2 : P J THE DJ has $71.25
: Seat 3 : TheZid has $104.50
: Seat 4 : zozek has $22
: Seat 5 : lollyman has $15
: Seat 6 : KaiWu has $85
: Seat 7 : Crawford999 has $15.64
: Seat 8 : xGandhi has $50.44
: Seat 9 : Acidjoe has $77.50
: KaiWu is the dealer.
: Crawford999 posted small blind.
: xGandhi posted big blind.
: Game [6893] started with 9 players.
: Dealing Hole Cards.
Seat 9 : Acidjoe has Ks Kd
: Acidjoe called $1 and raised $1
: JQuam folded.
: P J THE DJ called $2
: TheZid folded.
: zozek called $2
: lollyman folded.
: KaiWu called $2
: Crawford999 folded.
: xGandhi called $1
: Dealing flop. 3 players cold called 2 and the BB called the raise not good.
: Board cards [5s 8s 7h]
: xGandhi checked.
: Acidjoe bet $1
: P J THE DJ called $1
: zozek called $1
: KaiWu called $1
: xGandhi called $1
: Dealing turn.
: Board cards [5s 8s 7h Kc] <--- Hit my set
: Acidjoe bet $2
: zozek called $2
: KaiWu folded.
: xGandhi called $2
: Dealing river.
: Board cards [5s 8s 7h Kc 9h] <
4 to a straight on the board.
: Acidjoe bet $2 <
do you bet here?
: zozek folded.
: xGandhi called $2 and raised $2
: Acidjoe called $2 <
I know I"m beat but have to call
: Showdown!
: Seat 9 : Acidjoe63 has Ks Kd
: Seat 8 : xGandhi has 2d 6d
: xGandhi has Straight 98765
: Seat 2 : P J THE DJ has Jd Jh
: P J THE DJ has Pair: Jacks
: xGandhi wins $34.50 with Straight 98765
: Hand is over.

Comments

• Hey Joe

Yea... I bet there, and call there, and call the guy a f*#king moron in my head.

Same thing (moron keeps calling) happened to me last night, I have AQ, raise from the button, BB re-raises, I call.

FLOP AK7rainbow

I bet, he calls

TURN: 4

I bet he calls

RIVER: J

I bet, he raises, I call

I show AQ, he shows JJ!

Mark
  • Ya, I'd bet too, as well I'd call the raise crossing my fingers that he made trips or 2 pair, but knowing the enevitable. the thing is with loose players they'll call and raise to the river with minimal hands, you just got shafted by some poor players dumb luck.
  • I'm not complaining about the beat. I shook my head at it, but in limit with a $10 pot pre flop he's not going anywhere. I probably wouldn't either. As the betting leader I was wondering if anyone else slows down or just keeps firing like I did. This wasn't meant to be a bad beat post, but a discussion on were to slow down if at all.
  • Hey Joe,

I would actually check. I saw that in a low-limit game like that, like you said nobody is going to fold when they have a straight possibility. Now, if it comes back as only a 2$ bet, I would call but if you see a bet and a raise, you can probably see that somebody has a straight. But I think everything from the pre-folp to the turn I would have done the same as you, maybe just a little different on the river.

That still blows tho, raised prefolp and called with 2-6, make sure he plays some more with you :)

MainEvent
  • I wasn't sure if I check call was the best option. I wanted to hear from others. When the card flopped I was more than not happy. Being the limit it was I didn't give up the betting lead, but was sure someone had an A6s or some other crap, the 6 2 suited did surprise me tho.
  • Just check and call one bet. Someone almost certainly has the straight.
  • I guess today is bonuswhoring gone completely wrong.  After being continuously run down all day, I ended up with about a $200.00 loss while chasing a $300.00 bonus.  Oh well, get it back tomorrow.  Fortunately I was up but was waiting for the sky to fall as I was running about 9 BB./100 as a win rate.  Now it's down to a respectable 2bb/100. 

Watts:  Thanks for the input I knew in my heart someone had the straight, I guess I gotta look past what I want and realize the actual situation.  But I see so many bad players on tribeca, where I have AK on a 4 flush board with k high and these guys are raising with KJo no diamond. I guess at this point it's just better to check call than assume they are all idiots.
  • Gandhi is getting 9:1 on his call. Of course he calls.

Check the river 3 way. Bet 2 way. You were 4 way.
  • xgandhi played his hand correctly.
  • Gandhi played his hand like a typical low limit donk.
  • moose wrote:
    Gandhi played his hand like a typical low limit donk.

Of course he did. I am at turning stone and the same donks just play for more money. I'm watching guys chasing gutshots capped on the flop where they actually 3 bet cold. Amazing.
  • Check call, it's 1/2 limit, these people all any draw so that probably filled someone's straight
  • This hand is played perfectly on all streets. You are losing out on a ton of value by not betting the river, esp. 4 way. Remember bet calling only costs you $4, despite the illusion that it costs you the whole pot. You are only beat by a straight and almost any pair is calling you in this game.

Played perfectly. Next time try not to get rivered :P
  • I try not to get rivered but it happens. Like I said I'm not complaining, I like playing these guys. You win some and lose some. I was looking for other people's opinions on whether to check call bet call bet raise etc. The input has given me some additional ammo I might use to mix my game. Tho next time I probably check call I still think betting out isn't that bad.
  • Funny enough I have a hand that runs pretty similar to this one that I wanted to get feedback on; so instead of starting a new thread I will just continue this one (and no this is not a bad beat post -- variance (shit) happens)...

3/6 limit on Stars: I get QQ in MP, raise, LP 3-bets, all fold and I cap it. -- Read on LP was LAG - had shown down winning hands on really bad draws and was donking away lots of money.  :fish:

Flop: 3 5 8 rainbow ( :D): I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he calls. -- the call signalled no KK, AA, Set or 2P - I know I am good.

Turn: J (Again  :D): I bet, he calls - again I am still ahead.

River: A ( :rage:): Question: do I bet or check-call? There was a good chance he was playing A3 A5 A8 or even AJ. Of course we know I bet, he raised, I call and he flips AQ for no draw with one over.   :'(

The good news!!!

Two hands later I cap his 3-bet pre-flop with 4 players in with AA: cards come A33KJ and make an absurd amount of money against his K3 and the BB's runner runner st8! Good bless the  :fish:
  • moose wrote:
    Gandhi played his hand like a typical low limit donk.
    No he Didn't.
    Let's Disect his hand street by street.

1.Preflop
    Gandi is in BB.
    Dealt 2d-6d
    There is $9.5 in the pot and Gandi's call will close the action while getting 9.5/1 odds.
    Verdict. Correct.

2.Flop Play.
    Flop 5s-8s-7h
    This gives Gandi an Openended StraightDraw.
    Gandi checks. no need isolate here, He wants as many players in as possible .
    Verdict. Correct.

3. Still Flop Play.
    Flop 5s-8s-7h
    Total $13.5 in Pot when it is Gandi's turn to again call and close the action.
    He's getting pot odds of 13.5/1 here.
    (This is well within his range to hit 6 of his straight cards (not counting the 2 straight cards that will bring a flush).
    (We will assume the flush will play)
    So Gandi calls.
    Verdict. Correct.

4. Turn Play.
    Board Reads 5s-8s-7h-Kc
    Gandi Checks. Again no reason to allow the aggressor (acidjoe) to reraise and thin the field.
    Verdict. Correct.

5. Turn Play
    Pot Contains $20.50
    It is $2 for Gandi to call.
    This gives him pot odds of 10.25/1 (for simplicity's sake 10/1)
    Again only accounting for the 6 "good" straight cards still leaves Gandi WELL WITHIN his range to call.
    Verdict. Correct.

6. River Play.
    Board Reads
    5s-8s-7h-Kc-9h
    Gandi Hits his straight for the correct price.
    Gandi Checks.
    Normally I think this is an incorrect play, but we do have 4 players at this river and it looks like AcidJoe will bet it giving the opportunity to reraise.
    Verdict. Debateable, but leaning towards correct.

7.River Play
    Board Reads
    5s-8s-7h-Kc-9h
    With $26.50 in the pot Gandi is free to reraise, and both players are forced to call down.
    Verdict. Correct.

For all of those calling this a donkey play. Please explain why?
    Remember this is limit Poker, and as long as a player is within his odds to call, a fold is a mistake.
  • Because he check/called (no problems there) all the way down and when he finally made his hand he went for the donk check raise. Sorry Joe but 4 handed on the river, only the straight bets here.