WSOP final table pay-per-view

The final table will be available on Viewer's Choice Pay-Per-View in Canada. It will be $24.99.

http://www.viewerschoice.ca/details/?36030

I haven't been able to find out if they will be showing hole cards. Tape delay is a possibility. I saw something about possibly sequestering the players during breaks etc so that they cannot find out information from previous hands. Also banning cell phones so that spectators cannot reveal info from previous hands. I don't know if any of this is true, there seems to be a lot of speculation on the internet.

Comments? Does anyone have more concrete information?

Mike

Comments

• More concrete information here.
  • I saw the same thing on TV, so if no one else is hosting, I'll likely have a final table party at my place. Look for an official announcement tomorrow. (Tues)
  • 13CARDS wrote:
    More concrete information here.

That really wasn't funny. Especially since I read part of the page before I realized what was going on:-)
  • n/m Mike. Just read the Brenner WPT thread. I'll see you Thursday, and will likely be staying for as much of the PPV as I can stay awake for.
  • 13CARDS wrote:
    More concrete information here.

LOL 13 cards...
  • I hope to god they don't do that... Such a hastle for the players, just let them play some god damn poker!
  • I will be hosting a viewing party if you are in the KW area. See thread below:

http://pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=10444.0

Mike
  • I'm thinking of ordering this, but it doesn't say what time it starts or "expected" end time.
  • The Rogers program guide (ch 429) lists it as starting at 5:00pm on Thursday, and ending 5:00AM on Friday. I assume it will stay on until it is over (which could be earlier or later than 5AM, who knows?)

Mike
  • seem to recall last year's final table ended around 9am est, began around the same time i think
  • Sounds like there will be no hole cards shown. See
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.gambling20jun20,0,7341185.column

So basically if you would normally be following along on the internet via the live update log on CardPlayer, this way you can watch it on TV, similar to a spectator who is at the event.

I'm still planning to order it.

Mike
  • I wouldnt mind watching without cards - I hate how the announcers make cooments about the players actions based on the hole cards - it would be neat to watch the final with no hole cards - then have the opportunity to watch it with hole cards at a later date.

Also, trying to guage interest in side games for this - will any be out there who is not signed up for the WPT ?
  • TNORTH wrote:
    Also, trying to guage interest in side games for this - will any be out there who is not signed up for the WPT ?
    Waiting to see interest as well.  I'll confirm based on responses around 6pm.
  • How is the live TV coverage so far? With the hole cards not being shown, is it boring or is it still worth the $25+?
  • I'm enjoying it very much.  But, I work in television as a camera operator and in television as an on-air poker commentator, so there are a lot of reasons why I'd be interested in watching a live (probably epic) broadcast of this final table.

The low point so far: Phil Gordon's co-host guy says: "Did I just see Allan blow a snotrocket?"

At first, I HATED the audio.  It's a weird mix... takes some getting used to, because they seem to have all of the player's microphones up, as well as the commentators'.  At first, because I could hear EVERYthing, I couldn't hear anything.  But I've gotten used to it and I'm now able to kind of pick and choose what I want to pay attention to.

It's a very ambitious undertaking for ESPN.  From a production standpoint, it's fascinating.  From a "poker/entertainment" standpoint, it's pretty good.  Hole cards would make it better (the lines they try to feed you about this actually being more like "the real experience" are total bullshit.....), but Phil is doing a good job with the analysis, and they are having some great guests joining them in the booth.

I was curious about how they'd deal with cameras.  Would they have ten cameras shooting for the "to-be-edited" broadcast, and then another ten right next to them shooting for the PPV broadcast?  That would get messy, traffic-wise.  They appear to be using the shots from the cameras working for the "edited broadcast" version, but they don't appear to have any control over them.  In other words, the operators are taking their direction from someone who is only concerned with the final edited package.  There is another director doing the PPV who has the ability to use these same cameras, but no way to control them.  This is why we are seeing so many on-air repo's, focus checks, swish pans, etc.

Well.  It feels "live" I guess.  Someone who knew nothing about television production would probably call it sloppy, and I wouldn't blame them.  But there really is no other way to do it... just close your eyes and pray!

Bottom line: it sure as hell beats hitting "refresh" at cardplayer.com every two minutes.
  • I'm not sure if you guys know, but ESPN.com was giving the live feed online FREE. But it was quickly taken away, and back to 24.99. Luckily I opened it up during the time, and got it for free. I think its entertaining. No hole cards, but Phil Gordon :h:melodic :h: voice is more than enough to keep me entertained.
    Jamie Gold

Allen Cunningham

Paul Wasicka

Michael Binger

Rhett Butler

7 minutes, ago, this is what the chip stacks were. Seems Gold knocked out a couple of players. With a 30 million chip lead he's poised to take the title. The blinds are 80k -160k with a 20k ante.

Side note,
    1. David “Chip” Reese - $1,756,000 (Seat 3)
    2. Doyle Brunson - $1,227,000 (Seat 2)
    3. Andy Bloch - $934,000 (Seat 5)
    4. Phil Ivey - $885,000 (Seat 9)
    5. Jim Bechtel - $841,000 (Seat 1)
    6. David Singer - $745,000 (Seat 7)
    7. Dewey Tomko - $438,000 (Seat 4)
    8. T.J. Cloutier - $351,000 (Seat 6)
    9. Patrik Antonius - $13,000 (Seat 8)

Final table of the H.O.R.S.E event. Wow i'd love to see all those pros playing some serious poker.
  • It been enjoyable so far given you can't see the hole cards. Two hands stand out so far.

1. Allan Cunningham making a sick 2 million call on the river again Gold with Ace high.
    2. The final hand prior to dinner break, can't understand how Lee thought his jacks could be good after a 4 million re-reraise. I know he's trying to win the tourney but given that he is 2nd in chips and poised to make at least 4 million (should he finished top 3) the last thing he should be doing is getting involved with Gold. Jamie has been getting the cards so far and was the only person that could bust him at the table.
  • Ya I've been getting this feed for free too. espn is dumb.
  • Cool thanks, on break now I suppose.

stp
  • The commentary is good. Gordon commentating and guess pros giving their take on the action and their WSOP.
  • Went to a final table party/poker game. HAD A BLAST!