Making the big Laydown

Sorry to not have the hand history but here goes: 3 tables left in a $20 180 SnG on stars. I just quadrupled up on the button with QQ as UTG min raised (I was pretty short-stacked) and got a lot of callers. I push and got 2 callers, including the player to my immediate right in the cut-off. The flop is all rags and the mid-position caller raises 3xBB and the cut-off re-raises him all-in. The mid-position player folds and the cut-off flips JJ...no help to him and my QQ holds up.

On the very next hand, I pick up AKc in the cut-off...folds around to the player on my right who min. raises. I re-raise him to 5xBB...everyone folds around to him and he calls. The flop comes KQJ with 2 clubs. I raise about 2/3 of the pot right there and he calls. The turn comes 9d and I bet about 4xBB which is getting close to half of my remaining stack. He re-raises me all-in.

I guess my problem is that I'm so damn excited to have top-pair top-kicker, flush draw, straight draw, and RF draw I lose perspective on what he could have had...I insta-call and he flips over TT (1 club) and the river is a brick and poof, gone again. If I had stopped to think about what HE could have had...who knows...perhaps a different outcome.

I had a crapload of outs and perhaps I can't fold there...however if I did, I would have still had a somewhat playable stack and could try to double up in a better position. I would have had about 5k chips with 20 or so to go in the tournament.

I've heard that making the big laydown is what can bring you far in a tournament (is this a function of "poker maturity?")...but also making the big call...all comments appreciated...thanks gang.

Comments

• you have 8bb on the turn, bet 4, then think about folding when u have sooooooo many outs... you probably suck.

no offence
  • You should have moved in on the turn. All day every day. Rather than bet half your stack maintain some element of fold equity and push in.

You could have the best hand, if you don't have the best hand the potsize plus your redraw still says push in.
  • I would check behind on the turn.

With 4 parts to the stright on board, all of which are cards in the playing zone, it is a virtual certainty that your TPTK is currently no good. Since you have a solid draw to the nuts, re-opening the betting in last position here has a lot to lose and little upside. Betting 4*BB into a >20*BB pot is awful.

Given the actual turn action, you have a pretty close decision I think. It depends on the exact stack sizes, and not posting the hand history makes the analysis difficult.

According to the rough stack size description given, it looks like you are getting about 3 to 1 on your money for what seems to be about a 3 to 1 drawing hand. While calling may or may not turn out to be the correct play, calling instantly here is probably an error.

ScottyZ
  • bdiddy69 wrote:
    you have 8bb on the turn, bet 4, then think about folding when u have sooooooo many outs... you probably suck.

no offence

What a helpful comment. I guess that means your probably an ass.

As for the hand, your turn bet was poor but it didn't matter since you were dead in the water anyway.
  • I find it hillarious when players have say 1000, bet 200 preflop, 300 flop, then 250 turn to try and suck people in to call... Just push the remaining chips in! Your bets should never decrease in size... You had top pair, top kicker Royal Flush draw... No way you're gonna fold unless he shows his cards before you act...