Anything I could have done here? (Bad beat)

PokerStars Game #5786753081: Tournament #29293934, $1.50+$0.25 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2006/08/03 - 19:44:30 (ET)
Table '29293934 2' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 2: jj_frap (1490 in chips)
Seat 3: JIKKBOY (1460 in chips)
Seat 4: rbarr (4590 in chips)
Seat 5: ehunt36 (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: hotamighty (1480 in chips)
Seat 7: joan47 (1480 in chips)
Seat 9: dgj069 (1500 in chips)
rbarr: posts small blind 10
ehunt36: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jj_frap [As Jc]
hotamighty: calls 20
joan47: raises 20 to 40
dgj069: calls 40
jj_frap: calls 40
JIKKBOY: calls 40
rbarr: folds
ehunt36 said, "rbarr i better be seein u at the final table "
ehunt36: folds
hotamighty: calls 20
*** FLOP *** [Ac Ah Js]
hotamighty: checks
joan47: checks
dgj069: checks
jj_frap: checks
JIKKBOY: checks
*** TURN *** [Ac Ah Js] [5d]
hotamighty: checks
joan47: bets 40
dgj069: raises 40 to 80
jj_frap: calls 80
JIKKBOY: calls 80
hotamighty: folds
joan47: calls 40
*** RIVER *** [Ac Ah Js 5d] [Kh]
joan47: checks
ehunt36 said, "dg has a fh"
dgj069: bets 40
ehunt36 said, "i can sense it"
jj_frap: raises 140 to 180
JIKKBOY: raises 1160 to 1340 and is all-in
joan47: folds
dgj069: folds
jj_frap: calls 1160
ehunt36 said, "lol or not"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
JIKKBOY: shows [Ad Ks] (a full house, Aces full of Kings)
jj_frap: shows [As Jc] (a full house, Aces full of Jacks)
JIKKBOY collected 3270 from pot
rbarr said, "hope so"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3270 | Rake 0
Board [Ac Ah Js 5d Kh]
Seat 2: jj_frap showed [As Jc] and lost with a full house, Aces full of Jacks
Seat 3: JIKKBOY (button) showed [Ad Ks] and won (3270) with a full house, Aces full of Kings
Seat 4: rbarr (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: ehunt36 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: hotamighty folded on the Turn
Seat 7: joan47 folded on the River
Seat 9: dgj069 folded on the River

Comments

• I would have been more aggresive on the turn. But of course he was calling.

So you took one "prison style" meh. Get'em next time.

Good Ol' RIVERSTARS!

Johnnie
  • You could have folded pre flop

You could have folded the nuts on the flop

You could have folded the nuts on the turn

You could have folded the second nuts that's pretty much impossible to fold in a $1 tournament on the river.

All of these options would have saved us from a routine bad beat post where obviously both players are eventually going to be correctly all-in given it is nearly a freeroll.
  • Monteroy wrote:
    You could have folded pre flop

You could have folded the nuts on the flop

You could have folded the nuts on the turn

You could have folded the second nuts that's pretty much impossible to fold in a $1 tournament on the river.

All of these options would have saved us from a routine bad beat post where obviously both players are eventually going to be correctly all-in given it is nearly a freeroll.

An aces full made from both cards in your hand would be pretty well impossible to fold even at the WSOP...loll
  • jj_frap wrote:
    An aces full made from both cards in your hand would be pretty well impossible to fold even at the WSOP...loll

I think the OP meant it would  be hard to fold your hand, so there is nothing you can do.  So why post if you feel you can't fold at some point?

From bad beats comes good thinking....although this hand plays in a $1 tournament, there are some really important things to consider.

First, you cold called in middle position with a trashy hand.  AJ is trashy in the face of a raise, especially unsuited.  Most of the time you're offering reverse implied odds.  Worse yet, you're in middle position with players left to act behind you.  There is an interesting articile on the 2+2 magazine http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/sklansky0806-2.html which talks about this in point 14 or so about traits of a pro.  Have a look.  In this low limit tournament, you will quite often have the best hand in the face of that raise -- but that means you should re-raise to isolate the raiser.  Then when you get raised behind you, you can fold or if you get called, you can really narrow down his/her range.  Once again this is a $1 tournament with really erratic behaviour, but you still need to give folks credit at some point.

Second, you need to figure out why you're getting raised all in on a very small pot.  You need to figure out what your opponnents are thinking.  Either a huge monster or a huge nothing.  With 4 players, I would tend to think huge monster.  Can you lay down -- not likely.  However, the pot should have been much larger by the river.  When you flop this monster, you need to start building the pot from the flop onwards.  That way an all-in doesn't feel like  an overbet and you'll get paid off.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers
    Magi
  • First I don't play AJ in that level in a tourney. Even with flopping the nuts I never slowplay on Riverstars because what happened to you always happens to me. I start betting. The AK isn't going anywere then you get rivered. That's poker, it sucks but that's poker. If it makes you feel better I had lots of them on stars. You had a dominated hand that flopped nice and lost. Is there anything you could have done after the flop probably not.
  • don't listen to Joe, he'll tell you to fold anything but Aces.

I'd have reraise pre flop to get more people out of the hand. Good check on the flop, i'd have raise on the turn cause you know you'll have at least one customer. River, he did extremely overbet his hand, but all noobies playing in 2$ tournies do... I personally woulda though "yaye he hit his bs inside straight draw on the river" Only to throw my computer out the window after seeing his AK.

Bad river, shit happens.
  • No I won't tell you to fold anything but AA, but AJ off to a raise at 20/40 blinds isn't a hand I'd be playing on line. The overbet isn't a bad bet here, as you can a lot of times induce a call from someone who figures you to be buying the pot. I occassionally do it for that reason. A small please call me bet worries me more. Lou's analysis of the hand was bang on and which I agree with. Now after flopping the nuts on line I will lead out the betting the AK will most likely re raise and you can start getting money in there. It isn't going to change anything.