Monkey in the Main Event?

I REALLY hope it busts Helmuth. There'd be monkey guts all over Vegas...

PokerShare.com turning WSOP into monkey business

2:49 PM, Tuesday, July 25, 2006 by Sarah Polson

PokerShare.com is planning to enter a chimpanzee named Mikey into the World Series of Poker (WSOP) Main Event which starts Friday.

"PokerShare.com has earned a reputation for its creative marketing, and people expect us to constantly exceed their expectations," said Lucan Toh, PokerShare.com CEO. "The 'Chimp Vs. Chump' competition at the 2006 WSOP will not let them down."

It's unsure if the WSOP will allow Mikey to play, but the plan is for him to enter the Main Event as well as challenge a journalist to a live poker match. Mikey has been going through intensive poker training in preparation for the event, including being professionally trained to recognize colors and shapes, perform on television, and wear a green poker visor and sunglasses.

PokerShare.com said it will pay for any players who lose to Mikey to enter next year's WSOP Main Event.

This adventure to the WSOP won't just be another show for Mikey though. He's also playing to win cash for his retirement. After chimps perform for several years, they must retire, and like humans, live off their earnings for the rest of their lives.

According to a press release, PokerShare.com is hoping to gain exposure for its site as well as help draw attention to animal education and preservation with this marketing ploy.

Comments

• Anyone know if pokershare was really allowed to enter the monkey and if so what day it is playing? Really want to see how cardplayer handles the updates.
  • I read that the WSOP won't allow it, but if they already take the money of so many donkeys and fish, :fish: they may as well exploit the massive publicity of having a real monkey play. Otherwise, PETA will launch a massive lawsuit to protect the inalienable right of aniimals to play poker! ;)
    compuease wrote:
    Anyone know if pokershare was really allowed to enter the monkey and if so what day it is playing?
  • As someone who is allergic to monkey's I'd file a suit against the WSOP for damaging my health LOL.