Do you call here?

First, some background info, blr60 got to my table with 25K in chips 5 or 6 orbits ago, and only won chips with his all-in bets. he must have done it 8-10 times, a few times getting called by shortstacks and showing garbage, but winning. Nasty was a solid player, who no doubt had picked up on blr60's tactic.. do I fold since there's 2 in the pot and any A or K getting paired beats me?

PokerStars Game #5701762727: Tournament #28663868, 10FPP Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2006/07/27 - 16:51:30 (ET)
Table '28663868 92' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: Bouling (540 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 2: argonyt (14470 in chips)
Seat 3: rezavior daw (10742 in chips)
Seat 4: tkthekid (12470 in chips)
Seat 5: element1667 (6090 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 6: brl60 (30213 in chips)
Seat 7: nastynati33 (7450 in chips)
Seat 8: thathoser (12625 in chips)
Seat 9: hazzle_1703 (3200 in chips)
tkthekid: posts small blind 75
element1667: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to thathoser [Qs Qh]
brl60: raises 30063 to 30213 and is all-in
nastynati33: calls 7450 and is all-in
thathoser: calls 12625 and is all-in
hazzle_1703: folds
Bouling: folds
argonyt: folds
rezavior daw: folds
tkthekid: folds
element1667: folds
*** FLOP *** [5s 2s Kd]
*** TURN *** [5s 2s Kd] [4s]
*** RIVER *** [5s 2s Kd 4s] [3c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
brl60: shows [8s Kc] (a pair of Kings)
thathoser: shows [Qs Qh] (a pair of Queens)
brl60 collected 10350 from side pot
nastynati33: shows [Kh Jh] (a pair of Kings - Jack kicker)
nastynati33 collected 22575 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 32925 Main pot 22575. Side pot 10350. | Rake 0
Board [5s 2s Kd 4s 3c]
Seat 1: Bouling folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: argonyt folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: rezavior daw (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: tkthekid (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: element1667 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: brl60 showed [8s Kc] and won (10350) with a pair of Kings
Seat 7: nastynati33 showed [Kh Jh] and won (22575) with a pair of Kings
Seat 8: thathoser showed [Qs Qh] and lost with a pair of Queens
Seat 9: hazzle_1703 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Comments

• "10FPP Hold'em No Limit - Level V "

ie: 50 out of 9,000+ make it. With that in mind, if you are folding QQ here with one maniac and a potentially solid player who's overcard (s) are likely partially blocked by the maniac, then I am not sure how you plan on ever making the top 50 :P

About as obvious a call as it gets :)
  • you were kidding with the OP, right?
  • I hope I can lay it down. the big stack all in skeers me because he doesn't have to go all in. It looks at best as your racing. I hope I can lay this one down.
  • Joe, you are so tight, you'd probably lay down KK...
  • Just keep feeding him beers...he loosens up after abit.

With some much preflop in the OP, I would wanting to fold my hand here. But me and QQ have a history...and not a pretty one...so I wouldn't take my advise. :'(
  • Seriously, how on earth can one lay this hand down in this specific situation. Note, I am not saying call 2 all ins with QQ every time, but look at the factors here

1) The tournament - a Stars freeroll with 9-10,000 players where only 50 make it. Anyone who thinks they can make it by tightly playing 1 flop in 20 the whole tournament will be sadly disappointed. Also, the non-cost of this tournament will cause other players to play a lot more recklessly then say the weekly $200+15 tournament (where in this situation I would likely say lay down the QQ).

2) The stacksizes of the players involved

The huge stack was identified as a maniac who shoved most hands. To put him on AA KK or AK (and AK is not all that bad even) is silly. To fold QQ vs a maniac who shoves most hands is silly. If he happens to have KK or AA on the one hand you get QQ them's be the breaks.

The second player, the better player, called the all-in, however his hand range calling the maniac is certainly wider for the 2 reasons above. Also, his stack is quite a bit smaller so even if he wins and the OP comes in second his resulting stack will take a minimal hit relatively.

Seriously, if anyone thinks this is a fold situation given the above then all I can say is good luck in future, you will need it :P

One last possibility - the OP knows this is an obvious call situation and is just looking to validate that he played it correctly. In essence, a bad beat post :)
  • Nice post Monteroy. Well put.
  • AcidJoe wrote:
    I hope I can lay it down. the big stack all in skeers me because he doesn't have to go all in. It looks at best as your racing. I hope I can lay this one down.

Read the entire post. He had been going all-in every hand trying to get lucky.

Call. Call even with 67 suited. Top 50 is insanely hard to get. You need to get lucky on so many levels.

Say this wasn't the 2.5mil free roll qualifer...

Crazy large stack, side pot is 10k, if you lose to the short stack you only lose 2k, but i'd still make the call. The short stack could just be fed up and have a lower pp or ace rag...

Bad beat.
  • Monteroy wrote:
    The second player, the better player, called the all-in, however his hand range calling the maniac is certainly wider for the 2 reasons above.  Also, his stack is quite a bit smaller so even if he wins and the OP comes in second his resulting stack will take a minimal hit relatively.

I'd have to totally agree with Monteroy on this one.  As hard as it is to fold QQ normally, especially to 2 all-ins ahead of you, the players in this situation, especially the Jackal have to be considered.  Having a maniac like him will loosen up the tightest of tight players, especially over a few orbits.  I'd say that is the perfect situation for you to double/triple up with your QQ.  Definitely goes in the bad beat column. Not to mention the fact that there were only 2 Ks left in the deck for those guys to hit it.

AS far as what ChrisWinsor said
    Call. Call even with 67 suited. Top 50 is insanely hard to get. You need to get lucky on so many levels.

I'd have to disagree, when you have that maniac going all-in so frequently, I'd have to wait until you get a least a semi decent hand against him, I'd much rather risk my tournament life in a situation where I am dominating, rather than a coin flip.  You can play the 67suited for small raises or something, wait for the decent hands to double through the maniac.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents.

:D :ac :as

-Dave
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Joe, you are so tight, you'd probably lay down KK...

LOL ya I"ve done that..... I said I hoped I could, I probably wouldn't. I justed pushed with my QQ's in a similar situation so what do I know.
  • 1)Easy cal

2)posting results=bad idea

3)lol, a 10fpp tournament, didnt even kno they existed
  • True, results should be posted after discussion other wise players will say omg law down those Pocket Kings, you're obviously going up against Aces!

And ya 10FPP freeroll stage 1 for the 2.5 million dollar tourny...