A dissapointing night.

I hadn't planned on playing, but the g/f decided to take a map before we were to go out and watch some theatre (Kitchener Waterloo Little Theatre presents the July One Act Play Weekend!).

So, I logged on to Party and put $50 on a 1/2 table. I found myself up $10 early and then started losing fast. By the time I hit $30 the table was breaking up and so I moved to another table.

I put $50 on that and played extremely poorly. I'm not sure if anyone else finds this, but one of the holes I'm discovering in my limit game is that I play a different game depending on whether I'm up or down for the session. when I'm down, I've discovered I chase more drawing hands (even when the odds don't say I should) and when I'm ahead, I'm relaxed, playing better hands, and playing smarter.

It didn't take long for that bankroll to decrease and I found myself down to $10 when I finally decided to pull the plug. (And I'll freely admit that the last $20 of that was me definately on tilt... I can now say I've truely experienced it)

So, I went to the show (which was good aside from a 5 minute corpse in the middle of one show), but was left disappointed in my play.

Afterwards, the g/f wanted to play a little Morrowind, so I decide to get back on the horse. And, over the course of the next hour I did extremely well. (My favorite hand being one where I busted someone trips when I rivered my straight on a big pot. It cause the guy to go madly on tilt and he didn't like my play; which was correct as I was putting $2 into a $34 pot on the chances of hitting a double-ended straight.)

At my best I was up to +$60 and the wheels fell off. The table was beginning to break up and one last massive pot was being built. After a 5 way-capped pre-flop, I had A9:spade: and the flop saw two spades. Another big round of betting occured and elimitinated all put me and one two other people. The turn saw no help for me, one player bet out, the other folded and I called.

The river found my last spade and I danced in my chair. The original person who had been leading the betting checked and I bet out. He raised. I went into the tank to see what I could put him and I couldn't see a hand that could beat me. So I re-raised. He capped and I called and only then did I noticed that, on the river, the Board paired an 8 and bad things can happen when a board pairs. Sure enough, he turned up a pair of sixes and I saw that a six was also on the flop. Ouch. This ate away almost half my winnings of the session and I made the fatal mistake of staying at the table to recoup losses.

At this point the table was 3 handed and I made some ill-timed bluffs and FINALLY realized that I was beind the ball and dropped out after lose another chunk of change. Once the smoke cleared I was up a total of $15 from $60.

So, I went to another table and went up $10 then down $35 and hovered around that for a while. I stayed in for a bit, then decided I wasn't in the right frame of mind and decided to cut my loses there, down a total of $10 for the session.

I cleared my mind, got a drink, then decided to play one SnG before I hit bed. I got third but is was a frustrating tournament as the middle blinds were raced through as a player who only had 100 chips remaining CONTINUALLY double/tripled up then would go back to losing back to 100, rinse and repeat. This happened starting at the 50-100 level and, by the time he was gone, the blinds were at 400-800 (yep it took ~35 hands to eliminate him), and there were 10 big blinds split between the three of us. At this point we were all almost even and it was a total crap shoot. A blind steal at the BB and SB (and me with nothing to defend with) left me as the short stack. I found A9 on the button, pushed in and lost the BB when Presto held up.

On an aside, I really dislike the format of Party SnG's. I know it's only a $10 tournament, but setting blinds raises to regular intervals and adding a little more chips (1000 v 800) would reduce the crapshoot effect of their lowest tournaments. Althought, I guess if there wasn't enough of a crapshoot element to it, would the really bad players continue to play if they were always beat?? Hmmmm...

I guess the lesson to learn is that on the bubble, depending on the players, a switch of gears may be a good thing to get more money out of everyone. Off and on I had a mariginal chip lead and I should have been using that money to put pressure on the other three with heathly chipstacks instead of safely trying to eliminate the 4th player.

Anyway, lesson learned. I got $20 for my trouble and ended the second session of the day dead even. The lessons learned in that time was well worth the fact that I made no actual cash (thought the $70 lesson earlier in the day was hard to take.) Let's just hope I can learn from it!