Omaha hand: Misplayed or a bad beat?

Not to waste anyones precious time, but I could use some advice on this hand.

PokerStars Game #5670368473: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2006/07/24 - 20:54:16 (ET)
Table 'Castor II' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: foxsheep ($1.31 in chips)
Seat 2: Homerbuddy ($5.50 in chips)
Seat 3: djguil ($3 in chips)
Seat 4: 1badpenny ($3.29 in chips)
Seat 5: JayGould ($1.98 in chips)
Seat 6: Brazil Ron ($4.19 in chips)
Seat 7: ThrillSeeker ($5.64 in chips)
Seat 8: Wolffhound ($4.91 in chips)
Seat 9: tommann49 ($1.92 in chips)
Homerbuddy: posts small blind $0.01
djguil: posts big blind $0.02
tommann49: posts small blind $0.01
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Homerbuddy [8s 8h Ks As]
1badpenny: calls $0.02
JayGould: folds
Brazil Ron: calls $0.02
ThrillSeeker: calls $0.02
Wolffhound: folds
tommann49: calls $0.02
foxsheep: calls $0.02
Homerbuddy: calls $0.01
djguil: checks
*** FLOP *** [Kd Kh 9d]
Homerbuddy: checks
1badpenny: bets $0.10
Brazil Ron: calls $0.10
ThrillSeeker: folds
tommann49: folds
foxsheep: folds
Homerbuddy: calls $0.10
djguil: calls $0.10
*** TURN *** [Kd Kh 9d] [8d]
Homerbuddy: checks
1badpenny: bets $0.10
Brazil Ron: calls $0.10
Homerbuddy: calls $0.10
juggle: folds
*** RIVER *** [Kd Kh 9d 8d] [Ah]
Homerbuddy: bets $0.48
1badpenny: folds
Brazil Ron: raises $1.81 to $2.29
Homerbuddy: calls $1.81
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Brazil Ron: shows [Ac Ts 3h Ad] (a full house, Aces full of Kings)
Homerbuddy: mucks hand
Brazil Ron collected $5.18 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $5.43 | Rake $0.25
Board [Kd Kh 9d 8d Ah]
Seat 1: foxsheep (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 2: Homerbuddy (small blind) mucked [8s 8h Ks As]
Seat 3: djguil (big blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 4: 1badpenny folded on the River
Seat 5: JayGould folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Brazil Ron showed [Ac Ts 3h Ad] and won ($5.18) with a full house, Aces full of Kings
Seat 7: ThrillSeeker folded on the Flop
Seat 8: Wolffhound folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: tommann49 folded on the Flop

I pretty sure I should have potted the turn, but instead I called (and not re-potted) the river bet knowing only AA beats me......DAMN!!!

Comments

• Okay... quoting takes too long

KA88 - I call in any late position, it uscks that you have 3 spades, but actually, that's good in this case since you're drawing not to the flush, and youhave more defence.

From the SB, Insta-call.

FLOP:

You hit top trips, there's only 2 hands out there that beat you - K9 and 99.

I bet (NEVER SLOWPLAY!!!!!) the pot. If someone re-pots, they got ya beat, but you may still have to call. If you were slowplaying, that's fine too, you got your raiser, so RE-POT!!!

TURN:

A fanTASTIC card. Only one combo out there beats you - K9, and it's not very likely since you got the 3rd K.... BET THE POT MAN!!! If you get re-potted, you've gotta at LEAST call. I would likely push some donkey all in.

RIVER:

Well, if someone hit their one outer, well, that happens in all types of games. Check-call is perfectly acceptable there, but by this point, I would have been putting the pot bets out there so often, that it becomes academic to call.

Summary: Yes, it was a bad beat (really damned bad actually), but the weak play allowed it to happen (or at least failed to discourage it).

Mark
  • Bet the flop. Bet the turn. Check-call the river.
  • Johnnie... what did I say about hands with 3 of the same suit?!?!?  :D

I would have called pre-flop... but I would have check-potted that flop.  If you don't get re-potted you can feel good you aren't up against K9 or 99, you just gotta watch out for the guy with K257rainbow boating up on the turn or river.

Beautiful turn... you could have check-raised 94 cents here... DO IT!!!  Maybe just maybe the guy with aces would have folded.

River... one outers suck, should have check-called :(

/g2
  • The main problem here is you have no idea where you stand on the flop and check calling did not help.  An 8 on the turn makes the hand much easier to play (ie if someone has the K9 you are in oh well land, but you just passed any 99 hand), so betting as big as you can is what you need to do , especially if another person has a king with overcards (which if they hit then oh well).  A large bet will also get some hands that can beat you to fold like the AA hand here (which granted may not fold at these stakes as easily).  River you are losing your stack after he hits the one outer ( I don't see how anyone check calls here since all that sets up is potential checks of opponent hands that lose to you that may call, while you are still all in if an AA hand hits and bets).  The betting was never enough to make an inexperienced player fold an AA hand there, particularly on the turn.
  • when it comes to poker at such low limits, especially online and in Omaha, everyone calls everything pre-flop. I'd have raised big on the turn hoping some fish would call with a flush draw or a single king... Unlucky case A river.
  • LOL...I know it's LL Omaha, but 1 outers still suck!!!! BOO!!!

So I did missplay the hand, then got burned on the river.

Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for the advice everyone.