Orleans Open Tourney Question for Dave

I played in one of the "second chance" $125+$100 re-buy tourneys this week when the following hand came up...

The blinds are 100/200 The re-buy period is over and it is NL.
I am second in chips at my table with 5000tc.

The chip leader at the table (6000tc roughly) raises to 500 from middle position and I call with JJ. I only call because I do not want to put a lot of my stack in withh JJ if I am a mile behind. I have an excellent read on my opponent and if indeed I am behind (pocket pair higher) he will lose his whole stack on this hand FOR SURE if a Jack comes.

I did not re-raise as he is likely to put me to a decision pre-flop with a lot of hands and im not in a position where I need to gamble (coin flip).

The BB moves all in for 700tc. She is short stacked and likely to do this with a bigger than should be list of hands. Chip leader calls and I call the extra 200tc (not being able to re-raise since its not past half the bet).

Flop comes Q52 rainbow and Chip leader checks to me. He will check the following hands which he would have raised pre-flop with QQ, AK, AJ and any pair smaller than Queen or Ace-rag.

I am either leading in the hand or dead in the water. With KK or AA he would move in on the flop as he has done many times. The fact he will do this is why I just call hoping to bust him and have a good sized stack to make a run at the money.

There are 100 people left with only the top 18 getting paid. Do you check or bet? and if bet is the answer how much? and why?

Comments

• You certainly posted this question in the right section. I'll wait for Dave to take a crack at this before I post my (possibly incorrect) thoughts. Tough, good question.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • all_aces wrote:
    You certainly posted this question in the right section. I'll wait for Dave to take a crack at this before I post my (possibly incorrect) thoughts. Tough, good question.

Regards,
    all_aces
    Ditto...I have an answer I'm tempted to toss out, but am going to wait..that way, when Dave answers I can say: "Yeah, that's what I was going to say" :D
  • I think ComaU is a jackass - and so does the dealer at the Orleans.

P.S - Coma U and Teach busted up the "No Limit" game at the Mirage. Made a mediocre player like me feel like going pro.
  • The chip leader at the table (6000tc roughly) raises to 500 from middle position and I call with JJ. I only call because I do not want to put a lot of my stack in withh JJ if I am a mile behind. I have an excellent read on my opponent and if indeed I am behind (pocket pair higher) he will lose his whole stack on this hand FOR SURE if a Jack comes.

I did not re-raise as he is likely to put me to a decision pre-flop with a lot of hands and im not in a position where I need to gamble (coin flip).
    I think that a substantial re-raise is allright too. Make is 2,000 to go. But, the flat call is OK. In particular, the flat call is a good play against a player who is very predicatble post flop.
    The BB moves all in for 700tc. She is short stacked and likely to do this with a bigger than should be list of hands. Chip leader calls and I call the extra 200tc (not being able to re-raise since its not past half the bet).
    This is a key part of any answer. It's a dead pot. You CANNOT win these 2100 chips with a bluff.
    Flop comes Q52 rainbow and Chip leader checks to me. He will check the following hands which he would have raised pre-flop with QQ, AK, AJ and any pair smaller than Queen or Ace-rag.

I am either leading in the hand or dead in the water. With KK or AA he would move in on the flop as he has done many times. The fact he will do this is why I just call hoping to bust him and have a good sized stack to make a run at the money.

There are 100 people left with only the top 18 getting paid. Do you check or bet? and if bet is the answer how much? and why?
    If your read is correct then you have the best hand against the Chip leader (unless he has QQ). I am definately going to bet here. There are, as you observed, lots of hands that the all-in player may have that you will beat. You are much too far away from the money to care about eliminating a player as a priority.

How much to bet? I am going to bet "enough to get the job done." I favour a bet of about 1200. That should be enough to fold his draws (e.g. A-K) especially if he is savvy enough to understand the significance of your bet into a dead pot. I am almost certain to fold if he check raises and shut down if he calls.