Online Tells, Limit Poker

I have seen from a lot of players in Limit, that if they miss on the flop, they'll pause before betting, meaning you can raise them back and push them off of high card. Of course, this only works for players on good connections and wouldn't be the case for all.

Anyone else see this before or do you think differently? Any other tells you've come across?

This wont work for NL, as you gotta figure out how much to bet, and sometimes that takes time to input, but in limit, you really only have a couple options.

Comments

• I have seen from a lot of players in Limit, that if they miss on the flop, they'll pause before betting, meaning you can raise them back and push them off of high card.   Of course, this only works for players on good connections and wouldn't be the case for all.

I pause a lot before making a move on-line, partly because I usually have 4 tables open, but sometimes to try and disguise a hand....and I agree with your comment, this can be a tell and I will definitely try to use it to my advantage, if I raise PF and then hit and then I puase before betting the flop I can sometimes induce a raise getting one more bet in the pot for me, sweet!
  • There are much better tells than network latency.  Also, many players try to manipulate how long they take to generate fake tells, or they are simply playing a bunch of tables.  Betting patterns are a much better predictor - I wouldn't risk my stack on whether a raise took 3 seconds vs. 8.
  • beanie42 wrote:
    Also, many players try to manipulate how long they take to generate fake tells, or they are simply playing a bunch of tables.

I fall into both of these categories. I might also be counting outs, especially when playing Limit Omaha.
  • beanie42 wrote:
    There are much better tells than network latency.  Also, many players try to manipulate how long they take to generate fake tells, or they are simply playing a bunch of tables.  Betting patterns are a much better predictor - I wouldn't risk my stack on whether a raise took 3 seconds vs. 8.

I absolutely agree Trevor....but you can still use that technique to your advantage because sadly there are a lot of players that do make decisions based on how long you take to act!!!! I do not consider it a tell when I am watching the table but I do know that some players think it is a tell.
  • Like any tell, its not carte blanche for all players, every time. Though I do notice it from some players who tend to act in good speed. Like any tell, it can be act, but in reality, how many players out there are really just playing their own hand out there.