AA UTG...Limp or Raise?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't really find a satisfactory response.

Being dealt AA utg, what's it better to do? Limp in, or put in a small raise?

I'm at a 1/2 NL table, and my image is loose/aggressive/aggressive. I've managed to steal some small pots so far, and everytime I'm taken to the river, I show down a winning hand. I'm sure the players at the table consider me a decent player, as when I do raise, I seem to get alot of respect.

So I'm dealt AA utg, and for a second or two, I hesitate...not sure what to do. I don't want to come in huge to scare away everyone, but I don't want to limp in either and earn a zero pot. Usually get 3 or 4 in a raise preflop anyway. This particular time, I raised 3xbb and only get one caller. Flop comes up all low cards, rainbow, no connections. I throw out another 3xbb bet, and get an immediate fold.

What's your opinion on playing this hand for making as much as possible with this hand utg?? Should I be satisfied just taking down a small pot, or should I slow play them and keep everyone in the hand?

Comments

• STR82ACE wrote:
    So I'm dealt AA utg, and for a second or two, I hesitate...not sure what to do.
    Generally, I would try to have a general idea what you are going to do before you get the cards.

I'd only limp if I was sure someone would raise behind me. You don't want someone to outflop you for free, especially in a 6-way pot. That said, I would do what I would do with a "normal" hand in MP, say ATo or 88.
  • Raise!!!! If your table image is loose/aggresive, then play into it.

Maybe you should have checked the flop to let him catch up? I relize that's a risky play, being that you might get sucked out on.

I think you played the hand correctly. Remember, it's better to win a small pot now, rather than lose a big one later.

Nice hand.

JohnnieH
  • Push.

/g2
  • g2 wrote:
    Push.

Actually, I DID consider that briefly. But I wouldn't have gotten ANY callers, unless they had KK or AK, and I wanted some action on this hand. I was 2x my buyin at this point, and abit better than average stack. Didn't think a push was warranted here, or profitable.
  • I'm beginning to realize, IN CASH GAMES, that AA/KK REALLY only play super well preflop, if you can't build a big pot preflop, then you're not up against hands that will pay you off postflop unless your beat anyway. Unless you are up against COMPLETE donkeys, nobody should go broke with anything that one pair can beat. Only reason to limp UTG is to put in a big reraise and end the pot, because that REALLY gives away your hand. I don't see any real reason, IN A CASH GAME, to limp AA UTG other than mixing up your play, which shouldn't really be an issue online.

AA isn't USUALLY (note above COMPLETE donkey comment) a hand you can stack someone with postflop, it's a hand that GETS stacked postflop by hands that got let in cheap by someone limping with AA.
  • I wouldn't want to play this against 4 or 5 opponents. If you can't count on someone raising, then you should raise it. I'd go with a higher raise than normal, looking like you are protecting a small pair. On the flop, if it doesn't look like there are any draws, you could check it and hope to get some action from your opponent or at least a call on the turn.

Don't sweat it, though. You made 4.5bb on the hand. Better than losing 60bb.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Don't sweat it, though. You made 4.5bb on the hand. Better than losing 60bb.

Amen.
  • With pocket Aces I usually do a standard raise (3xBB) and hope another person comes along. Aces are they type of hand you want to play against a small number of players so a raise is a good idea to thin the field.

I would have played it the same.
  • STR82ACE wrote:
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't really find a satisfactory response.

Being dealt AA utg, what's it better to do?   Limp in, or put in a small raise?

I'm at a 1/2 NL table, and my image is loose/aggressive/aggressive.   I've managed to steal some small pots so far, and everytime I'm taken to the river, I show down a winning hand.  I'm sure the players at the table consider me a decent player, as when I do raise, I seem to get alot of respect.

So I'm dealt AA utg, and for a second or two, I hesitate...not sure what to do.  I don't want to come in huge to scare away everyone, but I don't want to limp in either and earn a zero pot.  Usually get 3 or 4 in a raise preflop anyway.  This particular time, I raised 3xbb and only get one caller.  Flop comes up all low cards, rainbow, no connections.  I throw out another 3xbb bet, and get an immediate fold.

What's your opinion on playing this hand for making as much as possible with this hand utg??  Should I be satisfied just taking down a small pot, or should I slow play them and keep everyone in the hand?

In my opinion, the two statements I have highlighted in bold from your original post are contradictory.

Unless you are playing at the tightest table ever, where any raise gets a lot of respect, if a LAG raises he doesn't usually get so much respect.

So make a slightly larger than normal raise (4BB if you usually go 3BB).  Your ideal situation is then to get re-raised and then you can push (or at least that's my ideal situation).

If you get flat called by one or two players you need to show strength on the flop and find out if anyone outflopped you.  Note: if they outflopped you hard, they will probably just call your flop bet... then it is time to slow down.

If your pre-flop raise is called by more than two players you better be prepared to throw away your hand (unimproved obviously) if anyone shows significant strength post-flop.

I think the most important thing to remember is that you've only got a pair AND you are out of position.
    STR82ACE wrote:
    Should I be satisfied just taking down a small pot, or should I slow play them and keep everyone in the hand?
    Yes, be satisfied taking down a small pot.  This is why...
    AA isn't USUALLY (note above COMPLETE donkey comment) a hand you can stack someone with postflop, it's a hand that GETS stacked postflop by hands that got let in cheap by someone limping with AA.
    g2 wrote:
    Push.

/g2

The reason for my first post in this thread... my other opinion is that you haven't had your aces cracked enough yet :D

/g2