999 SnG Rush

I had a nice little rush in a PS SnG today. Blinds are 50/100 and I'm short-stacked with 700 (6 left).

I get dealt 99, hit a set on the flop, and double up.
Next hand, J9s, 2 9's on the flop, and I almost double-up, eliminating a player.
Next hand, pocket 9's again, the 9 on the flop for the set, and another player is out.
Next hand, A9o. Flop has 2 more 9's, big stack bets, I call, and he folds to my turn bet saying "again???".

3 9's four hands in a row, nice little jump from short-stack to chip leader in less than 2 minutes ;)

Another fun thing was that when we were down to 4 (blinds 75/150), I had about 6500, 2nd had 5K, and 3rd had around 1200. The last place guy had actually sat out the entire tourney and only had about 800. Third place announces "I've at least gotta outlast him" - beautiful. Every time he entered the pot, either myself or 2nd would raise him all-in, and he'd fold. We were even taunting him saying "you don't want to go out 4th, right" (although I couldn't understand his response - some strange dialect consisting mostly of *'s).

Comments

• This is further proof that Stars is rigged. Obviously you have been sleeping with Lee. :D:D:D (for you know who)

I've been in similar circumstances with a bubble where one guy is sitting out. I think you have to be careful you don't get accused of collusion. I know you, Beanie, but the guy who is sitting out and reading his hand history may not...
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    I think you have to be careful you don't get accused of collusion.
    Maybe I wasn't clear, but we were taunting the active player, and raising him out of pots. Basically, he didn't want to risk any chips until the sitting out player blinded out (Harrington's "crippled stack" stuff), so we simply took advantage of his passiveness. We (myself and the 2nd stack) didn't discuss this at all, our comments were always directed directly towards the active/timid 3rd stack ("call this - lol", etc.). I'm not sure how this could possibly be considered collusion (I'm assuming you thought we were raising the sitting out player?), I think we just independently tailored our strategy to exploit the "weakness" of the 3rd player.
  • No, I understood what you posted.

I'm thinking if you were to say to the guy "If you go into any pots, we will put you all in and do all we can to bust you out on the bubble. Just sit quietly, take third and let the other guy bust out" that would be a form of collusion between the 2 big stacks against the player sitting out and even the 3rd place guy. You may not have said that directly or even indirectly but I do think it is possible for others to misconstrue what you are saying.

I have been in situations myself where I've said to the 3rd place guy raising my blind "Be careful, you'll be very upset if you bust out before the guy sitting out". They catch my drift but I wonder if it is somewhat unethical in some circumstances.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    No, I understood what you posted.
    OK, then we just disagree.
    pkrfce9 wrote:
    I have been in situations myself where I've said to the 3rd place guy raising my blind "Be careful, you'll be very upset if you bust out before the guy sitting out". They catch my drift but I wonder if it is somewhat unethical in some circumstances.
    I don't see this any different than live chatter such as "Do you want to be bubble boy?", etc.  Trying to entice your opponents to call or fold is part of the game.  To my understanding, collusion is when 2 players make an agreement to act/play a certain way (usually to gain an advantage).  In this case, I don't think it's even close to collusion (since all the chatter is directed from an active player in the pot to another active player).  I think this is just bullying :) .

Interesting that my little "sidenote" ended up being more discussion-worthy than an unbelievable string of luck though. :)
  • Sooooo I have to keep all this straight in my head for tomorrow night Beanie.....let's see

if the flop has a 7 or 8 frold to DrTyore
    if it has a 9 fold to Beanie
    if it has a K fold to Lee
    if it has an A fold to Wolff
    if it has anything else fold to Cory

I see a lot of folding in my future?

p.s. nice run with the 9's Incidentally I was short stacked in 180 SNG the other night and I got 99 twice in a row, won the blinds on one, double up on the other then went out when my KK went up against QKo and he hit a straight on the river....9's are good!
  • Big E wrote:
    if it has a K fold to Lee

Or if there's any kind of straight or flush draw!!