WSOP 2k event, 11 off the money... can you fold?

Hey everyone,

Went to the WSOP with "The Teach, ComaU, CanadaKev, and Giggles".

I played in the 2K NLH on the 1st, that had almost 2000 ppl, anyway... here is the spot I was put in...

I had been playing for 12 hours and I'm sitting with 9200 chips.... AVG is like 19,000. Blinds are 400-800 with 100 ante, so 2200 in the pot pre-flop. There are 164 ppl left. the game has become very tight as they pay the top 153, there have not been many show downs, the only thing happening is alot of stealing. anyway, I'm on the button. Johnny Chan is in the Big Blind, a kid in the 4 spot that has stolen 2 of the last 8 pots "uncontested", raises to 2800. next guy folds. Then Scott Fishman re-raises to 10,000. everyone folds to me. I look down and I have QQ.

Now my question is can I lay this Down? .... I did not.... I put in my 9200 and Everyone folds and Fishman shows AK....

Ace on the flop and I lose.... out 164th.

here are my thoughts.... I think That fishman is trying to re-steal... I think That he is getting sick of the kid stealing... even though Fishman starts the hand with 23,000 and commits half is stack, I was positive he did not have AA or KK.... I'm short stacked and can't even last 4 orbits.... I have to call....

Do you call or fold?

-McTib

Comments

• You have to push.

Like Erik Lindgren says, poker is about winning, not surviving into the money. Because once you get in the money with a way below average stack you need a miracle of three double ups to play.
  • McTib wrote:
    I was positive he did not have AA or KK....  I'm short stacked and can't even last 4 orbits.... I have to call....   
    Good read. He could probably have lesser hands than AK as well, like AQ or TT, so I don't think I could fold. Sucks to lose a race on the bubble though...
  • Yeah you gotta stick it in there.
  • It's a classic NL race. Your ahead but not by much. I would love to say I could fold that. I would call, especially if I was sure he didn't have AA or KK. I pray for JJ and hope I hold up.
  • The first player's range was HUGE.

Therefore its only likely that Fischman's range would be large as well. From any PP 88+ to AJ/AQ+

If you're playing for the win, you made the right call.
  • I'd call here. I'd lose and be pissed and second guess my call.

But I still call.
  • Considering your chip stack - the money already in the pot and your history with Fischman, there is NO question you make the right move. Period. Not even debatable.
  • Just like Matt Matros, I would have called with the Q-Q for the 53% edge. Do you think you would have made it to the money had you folded? How much did 153rd place pay? How many orbits did it take for 10 more players to be eliminated to get down to the top 153? I would think that there would have been more than 11 desperate players that had even less chips than you and I'm guessing that you would have made it.
  • I like the call, and agree with your reasoning. Fischman probably has a reasonable hand like a pair or two high cards, with a small chance of him even being on a pure re-steal. I wouldn't put him on so tight a range of hands that QQ is going to be in trouble.

I think you played it well.

It might be interesting to consider how you would play some similiar hands in the exact same situation. What would you do with KK there? JJ? Nines? How about AK or AQ? Pocket ducks?
    Johnny Chan is in the Big Blind...

That is so cool dude. :)

ScottyZ
  • Tough break man. I find that so much of poker is luck when you are playing against other skilled players, even if you get your chips in every time with the best hand. All you can do is make the right decisions and hope for the best. It's impossible to beat 2,000 other players without help from the poker gods. How many coin-flips do you have to win while avoiding suck-outs at the same time, and maybe even sucking out a few times yourself.

If you are hoping to squeak into the money and then go buckwild for some quick double-ups, maybe you lay this down. We've all been in this position before, where you hit the money with the least amount of chips, start raising like crazy, get lucky and end up winning the whole deal. But it's a long-shot proposition. If you want the bracelet you have to call here.
  • No question, you made the right move. With JJ or lower it would have been marginal. But you can't lay the ladies down when you're that close to being blinded out. Too bad you didn't win, you could've told old man Toyota to stick it:)