How would you bet the river?

Getting Hand History Information...

Hand #2123873-11 at SnG-6281v (No Limit Hold'em Sit and Go)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 19/Jul/04 17:49:48

The D is at seat 0 with 3000.
grayowl is at seat 1 with 1255.
ben25r is at seat 2 with 945.
fannar is at seat 3 with 1115.
Pepsipete2 is at seat 4 with 970.
JeffZzang is at seat 5 with 690.
Chris Jensen is at seat 7 with 1105.
duffydo is at seat 9 with 920.
The button is at seat 5.

Chris Jensen posts the small blind of 10.
duffydo posts the big blind of 20.

The D: -- --
grayowl: -- --
ben25r: -- --
fannar: -- --
Pepsipete2: -- --
JeffZzang: -- --
Chris Jensen: 3s 4s
duffydo: -- --

Pre-flop:

The D folds. grayowl folds. ben25r calls. fannar
calls. Pepsipete2 folds. JeffZzang folds. Chris
Jensen calls. duffydo checks.

Flop (board: 2s 6s Td):

Chris Jensen checks. duffydo bets 20. ben25r calls.
fannar folds. Chris Jensen calls.

Turn (board: 2s 6s Td 3d):

Chris Jensen checks. duffydo bets 20. ben25r calls.
Chris Jensen calls.

River (board: 2s 6s Td 3d 5s):

Chris Jensen checks. duffydo bets 20. ben25r raises
to 260. Chris Jensen re-raises to 500. duffydo
folds. ben25r folds. Chris Jensen is returned 240
(uncalled).

Hand #2123873-11 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
Chris Jensen wins 740.

Comments

• I was hoping someone had the nut flush and would move me all-in. How would you have bet the straight flush? Make a lower bet that he would call? Something is better than nothing, right? Or would you go all-in and make it look like you trying to buy the pot? Thanks.
  • I probably would've played it the same.Isnt the minimum reraise the amount of the raise before it? So you wouldnt have been able to raise any less than what you did?
  • You are correct. My mistake.
  • How to play the river when you hit your flush depends on how you've been playing your draw.

If I've been check/calling--as you were, which is fine especially at that price--I like to just go ahead and bet when I hit my flush. Unless you are playing against relatively inexperienced players, or unless there is another flush out there, more often than not you'll find that it gets checked around when a final flush card hits the board and there has been a check/caller in the hand. Basically, people assume that you've been drawing to a flush, you've hit it, and now you're looking for a checkraise. Most opponents will not give you the opportunity. Sometimes they will fold to your bet, but usually one will call you just to 'keep you honest', because betting a marginal hand when a scare card hits is usually a good bluff, and they might think that that's exactly what you're doing.

If I've been betting my draw the whole way (from EP) trying to just buy the pot outright, I sometimes like to check when I hit my draw to make it look like I'm afraid of the board. This will induce a bluff more often than you'd think.

If I've been betting my draw the whole way and I miss, I like to bet the river if someone's been check/calling me down, on the off-chance that they were on a draw as well.

These are just general, random thoughts about flush draws. As for the way you played it, I think you made the maximum. I'm not sure what your opponents put you on, but it looks like your check combined with the other guy's small bet induced a big bluff from the third guy. Well done! Just be aware that a lot of players will tend to clamp down and tighten up when the final flush card hits. Thankfully, that wasn't the case here.

Regards,
    all_aces