How would you play it...?

Texas Hold'em $5-$10 (real money), hand #645,095,998
Table Monte Carlo, 25 Jun 2006 6:57 PM ET

Seat 1: ScoobD [ 8C,8H ] ($457.55 in chips)
Seat 2: Mcbrag ($139.50 in chips)
Seat 3: BOT V4.20 ($227.00 in chips)
Seat 4: pockett ($128.45 in chips)
Seat 5: TheHouse420 ($233.25 in chips)
Seat 6: Kapitan0 ($247.00 in chips)
Seat 7: Olajengbesi ($259.50 in chips)
Seat 8: Nordic. ($615.50 in chips)
Seat 9: ClarkGrswld ($170.00 in chips)
Seat 10: coot22 ($476.50 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
pockett posts blind ($2.50), TheHouse420 posts blind ($5).

PRE-FLOP
Kapitan0 folds, Olajengbesi folds, Nordic. calls $5, ClarkGrswld calls $5, coot22 folds, ScoobD calls $5, Mcbrag folds, BOT V4.20 calls $5, pockett calls $2.50, TheHouse420 checks.

FLOP [board cards 2H,3D,6H ]
pockett checks, TheHouse420 bets $5, Nordic. calls $5, ClarkGrswld folds, ScoobD calls $5, BOT V4.20 bets $10, pockett folds, TheHouse420 calls $5, Nordic. calls $5, ScoobD calls $5.

TURN [board cards 2H,3D,6H,2C ]
TheHouse420 checks, Nordic. checks, ScoobD bets $10, BOT V4.20 calls $10, TheHouse420 calls $10, Nordic. folds.

RIVER [board cards 2H,3D,6H,2C,KS ]
TheHouse420 checks, ScoobD checks, BOT V4.20 checks.

I know, I know, super passive. Here's my thought process.

Preflop: A raise isn't out of the question mainly for positional considerations like buying the button. That being said I was fairly sure at least one of the blinds was coming and seeing a bloated pot with 88 (albeat in position) vs 3-4 opponents isn't ideal.

Flop: Why am I not raising here? It's a good flop for 88 for sure. I'm not sure whether not raising here was the biggest mistake in the hand or not. With 2 opponents already in and the pot getting bigger, I'm not really sure if I can get out hands like overcards and gutshots. If I raise, I'm giving odds of 9:2 to the players behind me. In theory, enough to push out/give bad odds to hands like gutshots and overcards. Ugh, ya I think I probably should have raised the flop for that reason alone. Notice that if I had raised preflop, I don't have this sort of leverage since everybody "probably" checks to me and now I'm giving them 10:1 or so on a call. With the straight and flush draws out there and a ton of overcards, I figured my pot equity would take a massive swing depending on what hit on the turn (a 3 or 4, heart and any A or paint is certainly a bit of trouble). This was the main reason I flat called and then intended to bet/raise a good looking turn. The raise behind me annoyed me, since it was creating the big pot I wanted to avoid, and I knew I needed a bit of help on the turn.

Turn: Great card obviously I knew the raiser behind me could be on a flush draw, and I didn't dare give a free card...

River: I know I probably should have bet for value. But I don't trust myself enough either to fold to a raise. I'm fairly certain I have the blind in front of me beat, and I feel it's likely that the guy behind me has a missed draw so betting won't get much value out of him (obviously he's calling or raising if the K helped him though).

Comments welcomed... Think the flop might have been the biggest mistake, since I probably underestimated the chance of a raise getting overcards behind me to fold...

Comments

• Preflop: I think limping is fine. If you could isolate the 2 limpers I'd go for it but I guess that's probably not happening so limping is ok.
    Flop: Yeah you gotta raise for the reasons you mentioned.
    Turn: Good bet.
    River: Pretty easy value bet.
  • Preflop, I don't like to raise with 88 or lower from middle position, especially with a caller or callers in front of me. You're likely to get too many players in and your hand won't stand up to that many cards post-flop if you don't hit your set. I prefer to see the flop cheaply, hoping for trips because that's about all that will make this hand pay off well. I would probably raise from late position, if no one or only one limped in front of me. Against 2 or 3 calls, a hand like 88 might stand up even if it doesn't improve. So, I like your limping in there.

Postflop somewhat depends on reads but I'd probably bet the flop to isolate and gain information, especially after seeing two suited cards. The turn I bet for the same reasons, mostly to see if I get a raiser with that second deuce on the board. A lot of loose players will limp in from anywhere preflop with A2 or K2s, so it's a scare card but a minor one. Good bet there. The river, I'm only value betting like Mr. Watts if I'm up against a player who hasn't shown me a check-raise previously. Many loose players will ride overcards to the river and a pair of kings has me beat here. A check-raise (or perhaps even two in this case) can cost me anywhere from $20 to $80, making my pot odds look uglier with a hand the river made look very mediocre.

But that's just me.
  • Call the flop, Bet the turn, Bet/Check the river.
  • Bet/Check the river

Bet/call? Or you think the EV is pretty close between betting and check/calling?
  • Bet the river, raise the flop. On the flop you have a vulnerable hand that needs to protect against overcards. You also have the very likely best hand and a raise is for value.

On the river, it's unlikely the king helped anyone and you will get calls from any pair, bet for value.