My WSOP Log - Dead Money-

For those of you that are interested, I will be keeping a log for this trip and posting it here.

My trip starts Sunday June 25 through July 1st. I will be playing in event 2 and possibly 3 and many satelite and super satelites to the main event.

WSOP day -1

I have to say I am excited to go as this will be the first time to Vegas to play poker. Playing in the WSOP has probably been in the back of my mind since my first deposit at Party Poker, December 03.

Tomorrow some more.

WSOP - 1 - No sign of Haddon.

Comments

• GL in your quest... Vegas is the the place to be... Don't get married or stay at a hostel! Say hi to Josh.... and if you get to the main event and meet up with Sir Watts Mike say hi to him to.... Jeff..
  • GL. I look forward to reading all about it. Give Josh a big kiss for me.
  • Good luck DM!!! Looking forward to reading your log. I've never been to Vegas either and I think it would interesting to hear how your first experience pans out for you.
  • Good luck DM!

As a Vegas virgin as well, I look forward to your report. I'll understand tho if you can't update during a final table.
  • I have been to Vegas before, but never to play poker.

Leaving today at 8 P.M.

WSOP day 1 - Still no sign of Haddon.
  • GL, can i have some moneys if you win?
  • GL DM, you have game, take it to them.
  • Tomorrow, Monday the 26th forum members Camblor, ComaU, giggles and myself are all heading down.
    We are staying off strip at The Orleans for 8 nights.
    Camblor and I got denied by the IRS to get an ITIN. Since we would have 30% withheld I don't think we will be in too many events.
    Hope the side action is juicy.
    To anyone in Vegas or heading down, let us know if you want to meet up.
    Kev
  • The IRS "holds" it, not keeps it. You just have to file paperwork to get the rest. GL moping up the LAGs at the side tables!
  • I would love some help getting back the monies I've has withheld over the years.
    'Just filing paperwork' sounds easy enough, but it also really makes you sound like a liar, cause I know otherwise.

PS. I AM the LAGgy
  • I haven't have the good fortune enough myself to have actually done the process. I am sure that it is a paper nightmare, I will take your word for it.
    CanadaKev wrote:
    PS. I AM the LAGgy

Then may the loose passives all be at your table :)
  • anyone who wins big should speak with their accountant. Depending on your situation (work, income, lifestyle) the paperwork varies in complexity.

At the simple levels, it's fill out the form and get the cheque. The complex stuff is a nightmare.

I am not an accountant, but AM the son of one, so I hear all this stuff.

GL DM and anyone else down there.
  • Good luck DM - looking forward to the reports :)
  • CanadaKev wrote:
    I would love some help getting back the monies I've has withheld over the years.
    'Just filing paperwork' sounds easy enough, but it also really makes you sound like a liar, cause I know otherwise.

PS.  I AM the LAGgy

How about? no personal experience,

http://www.refundmanagement.com/about.asp
  • Yorkpoker wrote:
    anyone who wins big should speak with their accountant. Depending on your situation (work, income, lifestyle) the paperwork varies in complexity.

At the simple levels, it's fill out the form and get the cheque. The complex stuff is a nightmare.

I am not an accountant, but AM the son of one, so I hear all this stuff.

Oh, the stories you must have...
  • compuease wrote:
    CanadaKev wrote:
    I would love some help getting back the monies I've has withheld over the years.

PS.  I AM the LAGgy

How about? no personal experience,

http://www.refundmanagement.com/about.asp

I have used them, and they are good. They do take 30% of what they recover tho. But 70% is better than nadda.
  • any updates? is there a good site to track the results of these smaller buy-in events?
  • pokerJAH wrote:
    any updates? is there a good site to track the results of these smaller buy-in events?

CardPlayer.com is covering everything. So is PokerPages.com.

For entertainment value, I like Tao of Poker.

links: http://www.cardplayer.com/ http://www.pokerpages.com/ http://taopoker.blogspot.com/
  • Don't forget Vegas is a few hours behind us and this event started at noon vegas time and was scheduled to run about 13 hours the first day.  Updates will be probably be scattered.  I will be checking so if I see anything I'll post.  While I can't seem to find Dead Money the list of just of the pace runners in todays event is huge.

13Phil Hellmuth Jr.$16,700
    14Erik Seidel$16,500

14Nick Voyatzis$16,500

16Greg Raymer$16,100
    17Phil Gordon$16,000

18Adam Friedman$15,000

19Doyle Brunson$14,000

19Clonie Gowen$14,000

19David "Devil Fish" Ulliott$14,000
    22Noah Boeken$13,800

23Joseph Cordi$13,100
  • don't see any Canadian's in the remaining 135 players; when did DevilFish move to Hull, Quebec :D

http://news.pokerpages.com/index.php?option=com_simpleblog&task=view&id=1376
  • Devilfish is from Hull ENGLAND.
  • AcidJoe wrote:
    Devilfish is from Hull ENGLAND. 
    probably not as exciting as Hull, Quebec (b4 Ontario changed the bar closing time)
  • pokerJAH wrote:
    AcidJoe wrote:
    Devilfish is from Hull ENGLAND.
    probably not as exciting as Hull, Quebec (b4 Ontario changed the bar closing time)

Hull was renamed Gatineau a bunch of years ago. I think Hull was too english for Quebec. Also, french people generally can't pronounce 'h', so it sounded like 'uull'.
  • What's DM's real name, they do have a few Canadians that made the money in event #2?
  • He didn't make the money. I did a search for Rob and didn't find him. Hope he had a good time anyways.
  • Hopefully he didn't get rolled by the guy that already hit up Haddon with an 8 incher.

Oh wait... that sounds a little gay.
  • Well I am back and have a few updates. My PDA wouldn't connect at the hotel.
    6/25/06
    Arrived way to early to the airport. Went through customs and noticed many people wearing poker hats, some were online and one was a CPT one. The face was familiar but couldn't put a name to it. Over heard 2 guys behind me talking poker. One was trying to tell the other how to play the tournament they entered. Boy I hope both these guys are at my table!

Notes from the plane.

Two guys to my left across the aisle playing NL for pennies.

I have the window, kid 2 seats over is really excited. Wouldn't stop asking mom (on my left) questions. That white noise planes make is priceless. For a buck headsets were even better.

Flying West Jet. Love those little TVs.

Announced temperature in Vegas is 42° C.

Wearing my Team Canuck poker hat. Have had a few looks. Thanks Dave for letting me win this hat.

Arrived at 10:45 and went straight for a cab. Man, 11:00 PM at night and it is 39°c. This is Africa hot.

Checked into the Gold Coast and went straight over to the Rio. The Pavilion has to be one KM behind the Rio. By this time it is 1 AM. Has to be a few thousand people there.

I bought into a super satellite and event 2. Over a hundred and 178 tables have been sold already. This will sell out the day before the event.

While I was at the cash cage, Mike
    Sexton walks in. Man what a mouth on this man, Fn this and that. I noticed a wad of bills hanging out of his pocket. He pulls it out and peels off a few thousands at a time and gives it to a few others that come up and ask him for money. He knows everyone by first names. Looks to me to the banker for quite a few people.

I left the Rio at 1:30 AM for the old Coast Poker room. Played some 2/4 holdem till 4 in the morning. I have been up for 24 hours now.

Tomorrow I play my first satellite.
  • 6/26/06

After 3 hours sleep the hammering at the hotel wakes me up. Oh well, who needs sleep, this is Vegas.

Went over the the Orleans to check out the poker room, nothing happening there, they spread a lot of Omaha.

At 3:00 PM I had a super satellite at the Rio for the main event. This was a rebuy, $200. After getting sucked out on twice, I was out.

I was in the audience for the tournament of champions, Watched Daniel N double up through Black. Chris Ferguson get eliminated. The pace of the final table is painfully slow. No wonder it takes 12 hours to complete one.

Walking out of the poker room ran into Carlos Mortonson, Chris Rose and Antonio E....they look much taller and TV LOL.

I left the Rio to become a tourist and hit the strip. Went to Ceasers Palace and the Belagio. Played some 4/8 for a few hours at there. What a nice looking poker room.

This was a tough poker day. Couldn't hit anything today.

Needed sleep.
  • 6/27/06

Event two. Started at 12 noon.

It is quite the spectacle to see 2500+ players playing poker at the same time. Ran into a few players I know from the underground clubs.

I had two pros at my table, one I believe was Hassn Habib and the other was a lady, I have seen in card player, but did not know her name.

I lasted for 5 1/2 hours. I know I was getting picked on by the pros and went over the top once to stop them. This was just a delay, as the aggressiveness never stop. My bust out hand was AJ suited. On the button, I was sort stacked and pushed in for 1500 when it was folded around to me. The big blind called with Q, 10 off and I flopped two pair and he a straight. I guess he wanted to gamble as he only had me covered by 400.

Phil Helmuth was at the table behind me. As I got up the following hand occurred. Phil raised from the button with 99 and the small blind calls, BB folds. Flop is 8, 4 ,6 rainbow. SB checks , Phil bets the pot, SB calls. Turn is a 2 and goes check, 1/2 pot bet, call. River is a king and SB bets 400 and Phil calls. SB shows K, 5 off, and Phil absolutely looses it. He berates the player for 5 minutes, and keeps talking about it for the next 20. To bad there were no cameras to see this.

The rest of the day was a blur. Played poker till midnight and called it a night.
  • I actually figured the pros may play more cautiously at the beginning and avoid some confrontations. I guess that thinking was wrong. They all say AGRESSIVENESS AGGRESSIVENESS wins. To bad your WSOP experience wasn't longer. Good luck on any more that you play.