Miller Lite Presents, You make the Call!!!

Looking for some opinions on a recent play I made:

Sit n go $10+$1

5 players remaining with average stack at $3000.  Blinds are $200-$400.

I have been card dead and have stolen the blinds with rags twice in about 5 rotations.  Table has been tight and I am pretty much in push or fold mode based on my stack size.

I am the short stack with $1400ish and in the BB with:

:9h :10h

UTG $3800 stack calls and so does the button with $2700 in chips.  Pot = $1400

Flop is:

:7s :8d :jd

I check here.  I have flopped the nuts and want to get paid.  UTG and button both limped and I think with the tight table they will both fold to raise here.  I want someone to make a play at the pot so I can push back over the top and get the most out of the pot.

UTG checks

Button checks.

Turn:

:kh

I check again UTG makes a probe bet of $500 (does he have (K8, K9, K10?) and Button Folds.  I move All-In with my $1400 and get called.

This is not normal play for me.  I am not usually a trappy player but I was a card dead (until this hand) short stack and I was looking make a real score.

What would you put him on and what would you do here?

Thanks for you input

Caddy

Comments

• K10d, or KQd. I also wouldn't discount 7-8, J-9 or J-10.

IMO, I wouldn't put UTG on A-Q, but I think thats were this story might be going.

With $1000 left, $1400 in the pot, and 2 players behind you to act,I thinking pushing on the flop isn't a bad play. You are for sure getting one caller, maybe even two.

JohnnieH
  • With 2 diamonds on board I push the flop. Even tho I have the nuts now I"m vunerable to the flush. I say take what I can now and hope for a call that doesn't suck out.
  • Checking twice is dangerous with the chips you have left. You're really not in the position to set a trap. Push on the flop, they will think you're trying to buy it.
  • With 2 diamonds on the board, your nut straight isn't looking very secure. I would push the flop and congratulate the guy who calls me and gets runner runner diamond to go with his 7c 7d.
  • Flop check looks fine, I'd push the turn hard to imagine you don't get called on that board.
  • I would move all-in pre-flop with a lot of hands here, T9s easily included.

The chance to roughly double up at no risk, or almost triple up (or more) if you're played with is usually worth consideration when on a very short stack in a limped pre-flop pot.

Here you have a hand that is rarely going to be a big dog if called, and, at the same time, a hand that is rarely going to flop something that looks all that good. More importantly, with the description of the table as "tight", the Steal-O-Rama lights should be blinking full blast.

After the actual pre-flop action, I don't see anything wrong with the actual flop/turn action. Due to the short stack size, moving the rest in on the flop seems fine too.

However, the post-flop chips are simply not deep enough to make either slowplaying or protecting the hand worthy of too much hand analysis blood, sweat and/or tears. That being said, I have a slight preference for moving all-in immediately on the flop, since there are a few more hands I can imagine people calling with facing a fairly small all-in bet when there are two cards to come rather than one (or none).

ScottyZ