smart play, or donkey?

PokerStars Game #5289892524: Tournament #26652422, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2006/06/18 - 11:23:15 (ET)
Table '26652422 17' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: bigbody919 (775 in chips)
Seat 2: Murphy479 (3345 in chips)
Seat 4: icecreamman4 (1275 in chips)
Seat 5: lvrollers (435 in chips)
Seat 6: cajundaddy1 (860 in chips)
Seat 7: josa1983 (1880 in chips)
Seat 8: thathoser (5280 in chips)
Seat 9: LETITRIDE555 (3215 in chips)
LETITRIDE555: posts small blind 25
bigbody919: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to thathoser [Ac Ah]
FreddyT is connected
Murphy479: calls 50
icecreamman4: folds
lvrollers: folds
lvrollers is sitting out
cajundaddy1: folds
josa1983: calls 50
thathoser: calls 50
LETITRIDE555: calls 25
bigbody919: checks
*** FLOP *** [As 7s Qh]
LETITRIDE555: checks
bigbody919: checks
Murphy479: bets 150
josa1983: calls 150
thathoser: raises 300 to 450
LETITRIDE555: folds
bigbody919: folds
Murphy479: folds
josa1983: calls 300
*** TURN *** [As 7s Qh] [Kc]
josa1983: bets 1380 and is all-in
thathoser: calls 1380
*** RIVER *** [As 7s Qh Kc] [Qc]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
josa1983: shows [Js Ts] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
thathoser: shows [Ac Ah] (a full house, Aces full of Queens)
josa1983 said, "luuuuuuuuuuuucky"
thathoser collected 4060 from pot
thathoser said, "sorry bud"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 4060 | Rake 0
Board [As 7s Qh Kc Qc]
Seat 1: bigbody919 (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 2: Murphy479 folded on the Flop
Seat 4: icecreamman4 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: lvrollers folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: cajundaddy1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: josa1983 showed [Js Ts] and lost with a straight, Ten to Ace
Seat 8: thathoser (button) showed [Ac Ah] and won (4060) with a full house, Aces full of Queens
Seat 9: LETITRIDE555 (small blind) folded on the Flop

I hit call before totally thinking through the hand. A mistake, I know, but what do you guys think? easy call?

josa was an average player, wasn't in too many hands, but had folded to reraises, tried to steal a lot of pots.

Comments

• when villain went all in. I put him on JT.
    and guess I was right :D

you got lucky on the river

:fish:
  • no way you fold.

the bad play here was limping w AA
  • sharpe88 wrote:
    no way you fold.

I had just played a few hands in a row, decided to limp w/ it to mix things up a bit, and become less predictable.
  • Yah, I would say limping with the AA, was well....donkeyish.
    Good thing you made your river...
    I really don't see any real smart play here,
  • You flat called with AA on the button after two players limped? Wow, that's pretty much the definition of Donkey.

Lucky flop, unlucky turn, lucky river. I think the call on the turn was justified based on the pot size and the size of your stack (called 1380 = 29% of your stack ... into a pot of 1300).

/g2
  • Who's the lucky one? The guy who hit his 4 out gutshot on the turn or the guy who hit his 10 out redraw? Best hand preflop won. There was no luck here. Bad play yes. Luck no.

Mix or no I would have raised the pot on the flop to make the flush draws go away. If josa is on a flush draw and murph calls your flop raise, he is getting odds to call.
  • I don't mind limping AA, but not in position and after a bunch of limpers and on like 50 blinds.

On the flop, nothing wrong, maybe more since flush draw will call a heavier raise. On the turn, well he pushes he pushes, Some would bet call raise, push flush draw on turn. Its a reasonable call and only 1 hand beats you, if you keep thinking you're upa aginst the nuts, well then you're going to get punished over and over.
  • moose wrote:
    Who's the lucky one? The guy who hit his 4 out gutshot on the turn or the guy who hit his 10 out redraw? Best hand preflop won. There was no luck here. Bad play yes. Luck no.

Mix or no I would have raised the pot on the flop to make the flush draws go away. If josa is on a flush draw and murph calls your flop raise, he is getting odds to call.

For the record the guy had the flush draw too, so he did have more than 4 outs.
  • So he is.  Hence my point about raising at least the pot on the flop.  In this hand if a spade falls on the turn I don't think hero calls. The gutshot was the only thing that could have fallen and gotten a call from the hero.
  • I don't think limping with AA in this situation can ever be the smart play, I think it is a TERRIBLE move and will cost you infinitly more than it will make you.

As for questioning your all in call...JT is the only hand that beats you, and there are a tonne of hands that villian plays the same way, easy call.
  • gokorda wrote:
    sharpe88 wrote:
    no way you fold.

I had just played a few hands in a row, decided to limp w/ it to mix things up a bit, and become less predictable.

Limping AA here is just bad. Also, if you've played a few hands in a row people are less likely to belive you this time anyways and will give you more action with weak hands even when you raise. So raise this, please.