Newb working on getting started - help?

Hi, I'm fairly new to poker. I'm looking for some advice on how to work on my bankroll.
What table limits are recommended with a $100 starting bankroll.
Should I be playing at 6 handed or 10 handed tables. PL or NL?

I seem to be straddling the break even point since I started.

Comments

• First of all, start tracking your performance immediately. You may THINK you're straddeling break even, but you may soon realize you aren't. It's incredibly easy to think you're doing better than you actually are, and keeping track is necessary to help keep you honest with yourself.

Secondly, a hundred is not a huge bankroll. I would most likely stick to the micro low limit games, nothing bigger than 0.25/0.50 to start, and that might be even abit high. Enter a bunch of freerolls as well that will pay off in cash in your account. Low limit SnG's are probably okay too ($1-$5 buyins max).

Lastly, READ!! Read everything you get your hands on. And then play the game. It's amazing how a little bit of education can turn your game around quickly.

All the best. And welcome to the forum. Also, welcome to this drug we call POKER!!! :D
  • What table limits are recommended with a $100 starting bankroll.

This question is difficult to answer. You would first need to define exactly what you mean by the term "starting bankroll". To be specific, what is your plan if you happen to lose the entire $100? Start again with another $100? Repeat this $100 re-deposit once before giving up? Ten times? Once per month? Deposit another $1,000 instead? Quit playing poker for real money forever?

(Technically, only the last option above would truly make the $100 a poker bankroll.)

For example, someone who makes a first-time deposit into a poker site for $100, but has $10,000 set aside for poker in total, can easily go ahead and play a $100 MTT. Someone whose lifetime poker bankroll is $100 would be foolish to do the same.

Although it's often a good idea, you don't necessarily need to have a rigorous bankroll to be able to decide what limits you should play. However, if you don't want to have a poker bankroll, you would at least need to develop a fairly specific and realistic idea of the maximum amount of money you are willing to lose playing poker during some future time frame (say in a month, over the next year, or 5 years) if you are trying to estimate what limits are appropriate given the amount of money you are willing to lose.
    Should I be playing at 6 handed or 10 handed tables.

This mainly comes down to personal preference, but I'd give a slight recommendation to 10-handed, where there the play is generally more straightforward, and the effect of the rake is lessened at the low limts.

However, many players who love either 6- or 10-handed don't tend to like the other very much. Often a 6- or 10-handed player will end up playing slightly worse than usual in the game size that they don't have the more natural feel for, and IMO this is going to be especially true when first staring out.
    PL or NL?

I'd recommend neither of these. Stick with limit Texas holdem while you are still learning the game.

ScottyZ