Can you play flopped nut flush any worse?

rima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $35.93
UTG+1: $64.10
MP1: $49.65
MP2: $35.53
MP3: $20.10
CrazyJoe113: $89.21
Button: $46.85
SB: $64.45
BB: $17.20

Pre-flop: (9 players) CrazyJoe113 is CO with :7d :ad
UTG calls, 4 folds, CrazyJoe113 calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: :5d :9d :jd ($2.5, 4 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, CrazyJoe113 bets $1.5, Button folds, SB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: :8d ($5.5, 2 players)
SB checks, CrazyJoe113 checks.

River: :5s ($5.5, 2 players)
SB bets $6.5, CrazyJoe113 raises to $15, SB raises all-in $56.2, CrazyJoe113 folds.
Uncalled bets: $41.2 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: $35.5

Comments

• SB raises all-in $56.2, CrazyJoe113 folds.

Is this a typo? Are you that sure he had 5-5, 5-9, 5-J, 5-8, J-J, 9-9, 8-8, or 10d-Qd ????

Maybe I have just found a leak in my game.
  • 13CARDS wrote:
    SB raises all-in $56.2, CrazyJoe113 folds.

Is this a typo? Are you that sure he had 5-5, 5-9, 5-J, 5-8, J-J, 9-9, 8-8, or 10d-Qd ????

I think the title is "can you play a flopped nut flush any worse?" so  I don't think there's a typo.  The challenge is on the turn -- not betting there is the big problem because you have no idea why the opponent called the flop bet.  If you make a decent size bet at the turn you have much better information.  Waiting until the river to make a big bet screams you have a nut flush and wanted to trap.  So, bet the turn and make it look like you're trying to steal the pot and/or that you have the nut flush.

Either way if calls the turn and e comes out firing on the river, then your decision is much easier -- likely just a crying call or a fold depending on how weak your opponent is. 

Cheers
    Magi

P.S. I don't really hate the river fold given your line. Had I played this way to the river, I would prefer a call because I'm thinking what's going to call my raise here?
  • I think I played this bad on all streets except maybe the flop, hence the title, the turn was horrible, i was thinking to induce a bluff on the river, then on the river when the board paired, I didnt want to flat call since I had nut flush, I was expecting a call of my raise with the K or Q, when he reraised I couldnt bring myself to put it in. I really think he had 9 5 or J 5, he only limped from the small blind he played it like a cautious 2 pair before the river, but looking back he also could have had the :Kd since I didnt really play it like the nut flush either.
  • That BB is pretty tight
  • The 6 or 10 of diamonds beats your A-high flush anyway, and 10d Qd is the rock solid nuts. The 5 on the river isn't the care card for me. It's the 8d on the turn that screws your hand.

At a.25/.50 table I see no value in slow playing. Bet the flop.
  • The 6 or 10 of diamonds beats your A-high flush anyway, and 10d Qd is the rock solid nuts.

Huh? QTd is the pure nuts yes, I don't know what you're talking about he 6...
    It's the 8d on the turn that screws your hand.

Huh? Ya, from the perspective that it will kill his action I guess?

As far as the river fold to the reraise, I like it. I don't think a K or Q high flush is going to reraise you there. Unless you have a read that the guy is a bluffing moron, he has to have you beat when the reraise comes.

Maybe the hand wasn't played that well as you said, but at least you didn't succumb to the "@#$% I can't believe I put myself in this spot, I'm calling anyways" tilt-auto-call on the river.
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    The 6 or 10 of diamonds beats your A-high flush anyway, and 10d Qd is the rock solid nuts.

Huh? QTd is the pure nuts yes, I don't know what you're talking about he 6...
    It's the 8d on the turn that screws your hand.

Huh? Ya, from the perspective that it will kill his action I guess?

D'oh. Misread the OP - was counting the 7d in the board (instead of in hero's hand).

I still wouldn't slow-play the flop :D
  • ElElliott wrote:
    The 6 or 10 of diamonds beats your A-high flush anyway, and 10d Qd is the rock solid nuts. The 5 on the river isn't the care card for me. It's the 8d on the turn that screws your hand.
    Hero is holding the 7 of diamonds, it's not on the board.
    ElElliott wrote:
    At a.25/.50 table I see no value in slow playing. Bet the flop.
    He did.

Also should have bet the turn though.
    13CARDS wrote:
    SB raises all-in $56.2, CrazyJoe113 folds.

I see no reason the SB couldn't have any of these hands. He called $0.25 into a $2.25 pot... and then the BB folded for free... obviously not a player he needed to worry was going to raise pre-flop.

Checking the turn was a mistake, but I think your biggest mistake was not being aware of the pot size and the SB's stack. On the river he bet $6.50 into a $5.50 pot when the board paired. That should be setting off alarm bells in your head. Without a read given I can only assume that he knows what he's doing based on the fact that he has a $64 stack at a $50 max buy-in table.

/g2
  • yeah....i totally misread the OP. My bad.

This is why I shouldn't check the forum at work.
  • GTA Poker wrote:
    That BB is pretty tight

LMAO...no one else find this hilarious?
  • had to double check the OP to get that one, very funny

wish i coudl just fold when it's free to see a few cards........

hahaha

Johnny