Stars rebuy tourney report 2 of 2.

Level 14, 2K/4K A200, 77,960 in chips.

I’m BB with AsQd. Cut-off and button call, SB folds, and I raise 12K to 16K.
Cut-off folds, button uses all of his time allowance and finally calls.
Flop: 3h Jh Qc. I move in, button folds.

Level 15, 3K/6K A300, 72,560 in chips.

I’m the cut-off with 2d2h. Folded to me and I raise by 12K. BB (big stack) calls, heads-up.
Flop: 6h 9d 6s. BB checks, I bet 18K and take it down.
At this point there are are between 20 and 30 players left, and until the final table I spend most of my time at or near the bottom of the list.

Now we’re getting close to the final table and I am extremely shortstacked for a while. For the most part, I have between 3 to 5 BB’s. No cards. Hanging around, hanging around….

10K/20K blinds, folded to me on the button and I move in with TdJd for 60K, no callers.

10K/20K blinds, move in UTG with JJ for about 90K and get no callers.

Level 19, 15K/30K A1500, 102065 in chips. Maybe 11 or 12 left.

I have QsKc in SB, folded to me and I move in. BB calls with 9d9c.
Flop: AsTs3s. (Great flop.)
Turn: Qd.
River: 6h. And MHIG.

Level 19, 15K/30K A1500, 52,630 in chips.

I’m MP with 3d3c. EP makes it 90K, I call all-in short, button re-raises all-in big, and EP folds. Heads-up, and I’m against button’s AhKc.
Flop: 9s 5d 4d.
Turn: 4c
River: Th, and MHIG.
Level 20, 20K/40K A2000. 10 left. I double up with QQ vs. AK but am still in last place LOL.

Level 20, 20K/40K A2000, 139,780 in chips.

Folded to me in SB with Kh2d. I move in and don’t get called.

Level 20, 20K/40K A2000… (it’s all Level 20 from here on in… they cap it.) 181,780 in chips.

***SICK, RIDICULOUSLY LUCKY HAND***

Here’s where I should have busted out 10th.
I’m BB with As6s. UTG (equal stack) raises 80K. Folded to me, and I move in. He calls, and shows Ad7d. Ugh.
Flop: 8d 2c 7c. I say “gg and gl all”
Turn: 6h
River: 6d. And MHIG. That was it, the tenth player gone, so the final table started with a cascade of ‘OMFG’s’ and ‘WTF’s???’ and ‘LOLOLOL’s’, etc… including from me. The guy who lost was cool enough about it from the rail… I mean anything can happen when you’re all-in, but man. Would a math whiz (ScottyZ?) please figure out how far I’m behind with A6 vs. A7 after an 827 flop, none of my suit??? I need exactly 2 of the remaining 3 sixes in the deck to come on the turn and river… I start the final table in 7th, but it’s very very close all around.

***2 interesting things happened throughout the final table. First of all, as soon as we got there, one guy wouldn’t stop suggesting that we chop the prize pool 9 ways, despite me telling him that there was no chance. Secondly, after hanging in there and surviving for so long, the deck started to heat up for me again, at just the right time.***

357,744 in chips, 9 left.

I’m BB with AsKc. Folded to cut-off, who raises 120K and has me covered.
Folded to me, and I move in. He calls with AhJh.
Flop: 8h Kd Qc.
Turn: 6c.
River: Ac and MHIG.

721,488 in chips, 9 left.

I’m MP with AsQs. EP raises to 80K, I just call, LP moves in for another 240K.
EP folds, and I go into the tank. If I call and lose, I’m still in good shape. But, I decided to fold. LP showed QQ.

563,488 in chips, 9 left.

I’m UTG+1 with AdAh. UTG raises 160K. I re-raise about 360K all-in. I’m thinking I could have smooth-called and let him see a flop to try and take his whole stack, but oh well. He folded, and I took it down.

805,488 in chips, 6 left.

I’m UTG with AsAd. I raise 80K to 120K. Folded to the button who re-raises all-in another 180K, and I of course call. He has AK, and MHIG.

1,112,289 in chips, 5 left.

I’m on the button with AdQs. MP raises 280K (he has an equal stack) and everyone folds.

1,176,289 in chips, 5 left.

I’m BB with 5d5h. Folded to SB who just calls, and I check.
Flop: 3s 2d 8d. SB bets 120K, I raise 120K, and SB folds.

1,250,289 in chips, 4 left. 3 of us have between 1 and 1.5 million, the 4th has 300K.

I’m UTG with AsJs. I raise 120K to 160K, and only the SB (1.5 million) calls.
Flop: Qd 6s Ah. SB bets the minimum, 40K. I raise 160K to 200K. SB moves in, and he has me covered. I go into the tank. Eventually, I fold. Sure looks like 666.

SB from the previous hand donates to the shortstack a bunch of times, until our chip counts are:

Dkapp: 1,056,260
All_aces: 846,289
Terryman: 1,363,432
EASSA: 1,186,019

At this point Terryman proposed a deal… 4-ways even… and we all agreed to take second-place money. Terryman was the one who had been asking for a deal on every single hand of the final table. Getting everyone to sit out was a chore. Mostly because we’d sit out, but EASSA wouldn’t, despite the fact that he agreed to the chop.

Then, he sat out and I e-mailed support. While we were waiting, he must have got a good hand, because he sat back in and started raising people’s blinds. So, of course, we all sit back in while we’re waiting for support, and then we eventually all sit back out again. The rail is screaming that EASSA is a cheater, and I’m inclined to agree. Maybe he didn’t understand what was going on, but it was pretty clear.

At any rate, hope you enjoyed that, sorry it was so long, and any comments are appreciated.

Regards,
all_aces

Comments

• After
    Flop: 8d 2c 7c. I say “gg and gl all”
    you've got less than a 5% chance to win the pot. No use of my math SkillZ, just good ole www.twodimes.net/poker :cool:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=403231

Also, after you flopped the enormous draw with KQ vs. 99, you were better than a 6-4 favorite over the made hand.

ScottyZ
  • 357,744 in chips, 9 left.

Nice stack! :)

I'm pretty sure my stack for the *entire* $11+R tournament when I finished 3rd was never over 300K. :cool:

Great to read the report. Bed now, more thoughts on the hands later. ;)

ScottyZ
  • Again, good read. That A6 vs A7 was insane to read about. Good job on a good finish, if you want to call it that.
  • Thanks Jay! That A6 vs. A7 was absolutely nutso, you're right. When Scotty said I was just under 5%, I thought that was being too generous... figured I was more of a longshot. However, I forgot that I was 3 to a straight (678), so I guess it makes sense.

Good job on a good finish, if you want to call it that.
    I assume you said this because we didn't actually 'finish', lol. I don't always make deals (I'm probably at around 50%), but in this case, giving all four players second place money seemed reasonable. Any of us would have been happy to finish second, and it was still anyone's game, so it seemed like the right thing to do.

Cheers!
    all_aces
  • I just skimmed through your post and I gotta say

Wow Congrats man!

I will definetly read both of your reports tomorrow...

am glad I was able to catch some of the action while you were playing...and some monster hands at that!
  • all_aces wrote:
    I assume you said this because we didn't actually 'finish', lol. I don't always make deals (I'm probably at around 50%), but in this case, giving all four players second place money seemed reasonable. Any of us would have been happy to finish second, and it was still anyone's game, so it seemed like the right thing to do.

No. What I meant is that you should've won the whole sha-bang. You let us all down. Hang your head in shame.
  • LOL. Thanks Jay. Thanks a lot.

;)
    all_aces
  • That's what I'm here for....
  • Now we’re getting close to the final table and I am extremely shortstacked for a while. For the most part, I have between 3 to 5 BB’s. No cards. Hanging around, hanging around….

You've got to have some serious alligator blood sometimes. Since people often throw around the term "selectively aggressive" as if they know what it means, allow me to pretend I know what the following is supposed to mean: "selectively patient". ;)

On a short stack, I think a lot of players are much more impatient than they should be. True, you have to be less patient then usual, that is, selectively patient (or if you like, selectively impatient), but many go overboard and feel they need to gamble too early with trash like 64s, A6o with 3 limpers in ahead of them, or KQo facing a big pre-flop raise.

You've got to gamble more then usual, but you still can't afford to take too much of the worst of it.
    721,488 in chips, 9 left.

I’m MP with AsQs. EP raises to 80K, I just call, LP moves in for another 240K.
    EP folds, and I go into the tank. If I call and lose, I’m still in good shape. But, I decided to fold. LP showed QQ.

Great fold here. Don't talk yourself into a bad call because you will still be in okay (not good) shape if you call and lose the hand. 240K is still a *lot* of chips, about 3 or 4 orbits worth.

I’m UTG+1 with AdAh. UTG raises 160K. I re-raise about 360K all-in. I’m thinking I could have smooth-called and let him see a flop to try and take his whole stack, but oh well. He folded, and I took it down.

I like your moving all-in here. I'm surprised the UTG player raises with a hand that's bad enough that he can't stand a pot-sized all-in re-raise. (Sweet, 3 hyphenated words in a row). :cool: I would have moved in, expecting a call from (at least) the UTG player.
    1,250,289 in chips, 4 left. 3 of us have between 1 and 1.5 million, the 4th has 300K.

Flop: Qd 6s Ah. SB bets the minimum, 40K. I raise 160K to 200K. SB moves in, and he has me covered. I go into the tank. Eventually, I fold. Sure looks like 666.

It doesn't make much sense to bet the minumum on that flop with 66. If you're slowplaying it, why in the world would you want to bet out the minimum and give your opponent even a chance to fold? And 40K sucks donkeys as a value bet. But, players do sometimes do bet the minimum into largish pots with monster hands, so who knows.

Nonetheless, well played by you on the flop I think.
    At this point Terryman proposed a deal… 4-ways even… and we all agreed to take second-place money. Terryman was the one who had been asking for a deal on every single hand of the final table. Getting everyone to sit out was a chore. Mostly because we’d sit out, but EASSA wouldn’t, despite the fact that he agreed to the chop.

Then, he sat out and I e-mailed support. While we were waiting, he must have got a good hand, because he sat back in and started raising people’s blinds. So, of course, we all sit back in while we’re waiting for support, and then we eventually all sit back out again. The rail is screaming that EASSA is a cheater, and I’m inclined to agree. Maybe he didn’t understand what was going on, but it was pretty clear.

I'm not sure exactly how deal making works at PokerStars, but if EASSA clearly did agree to the deal in the chat, wouldn't that considered to be binding, despite the sitting in/siting out shenanigans?

Congrats on another great result!

ScottyZ
  • On a short stack, I think a lot of players are much more impatient than they should be. True, you have to be less patient then usual, that is, selectively patient (or if you like, selectively impatient), but many go overboard and feel they need to gamble too early with trash like 64s, A6o with 3 limpers in ahead of them, or KQo facing a big pre-flop raise.

You've got to gamble more then usual, but you still can't afford to take too much of the worst of it.
    Selectively impatiently patient? In any case, I know what you mean. If your stack is already so low that your all-in bet won't scare most of your opponents, why not wait around until you're pretty certain you'll have the best of it when you move in? Of course, you can only wait so long, but I waited a long time at around this stage of the tournament.

I've made the mistake of moving in with hands like 8h9h before, when I could have waited another round. Slowly but surely, I'm learning.

I like your moving all-in here. I'm surprised the UTG player raises with a hand that's bad enough that he can't stand a pot-sized all-in re-raise. (Sweet, 3 hyphenated words in a row). :cool: I would have moved in, expecting a call from (at least) the UTG player.
    Nice! That was a well-crafted, impressively-worded... damn. I can't come up with a third. WTG on the pot-sized all-in re-raise.

Now that you mention it, my raise was pot-sized. At the time I felt like I was raising a huge amount, and I felt sort of sheepish about losing my cool with aces like that. But yeah, it was indeed about the size of the pot, and I'm surprised he didn't call, too.

It doesn't make much sense to bet the minumum on that flop with 66. If you're slowplaying it, why in the world would you want to bet out the minimum and give your opponent even a chance to fold? And 40K sucks donkeys as a value bet. But, players do sometimes do bet the minimum into largish pots with monster hands, so who knows.
    I've seen people do this--bet the minimum into a large pot--to induce a bluff from their opponent. However, I wasn't bluffing. However, he didn't know that. There is a strong possibility that my hand was good here, but it wasn't worth risking my entire tournament over.

LOL @ 'sucks donkeys'.
    I'm not sure exactly how deal making works at PokerStars, but if EASSA clearly did agree to the deal in the chat, wouldn't that considered to be binding, despite the sitting in/siting out shenanigans?
    I don't think that anything's binding until support shows up to supervise. (Except my underwear.... with or without 'support'.) (I'll be here all week, again.) Now, I could be wrong here. But it's always seemed to me that there's this weird sort of grey area between the time the players agree to a deal and the time support shows up to process it.

When EASSA sat back in after everyone had sat out, the three of us said things like: "EASSA!!!" and "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" and "SIT OUT SIT OUT". Someone on the rail told us to calm down, and I said: "I am usually calm". "But this seems like a volatile situation".
    Congrats on another great result!
    Thanks! Also, thanks very much for the detailed response... gotta keep our hand-analysis chops up, in terms of both writing them down and responding to them. Thanks for taking the time.

Regards,
    all_aces