Help me...

I think I'm becoming a donkey calling station.   And yet I'm not sure whether that's a bad thing or not (although sometimes it is).

Background:  Somewhere in the last few months I've gotten used to playing in games infested with LAGs, games infested with TAGs that are LAGs in LP in steal situations, and in general I've gotten used to both in shorthanded games.

So, what have I learned:  I've learned to become a more stubborn defender vs. likely steal raises. I've learned how to give the hyper aggros the rope to hang themselves with, and I've found myself calling down a myriad of pretty crummy hands. And many of them have of course paid off.  Of course sometimes I end up calling down in horrid spots as well and get shown a monster.  I think I realized I had a problem the other day when I called down KTo UI on a ragged board vs. a LAG button raiser and got shown A2o (he paired his 2 on the river not that he needed it).   In a nutshell, I'm starting to find myself constantly thinking that any pair (or in many cases any Ace) is good headsup since I'm constantly assuming there's a good chance of my opponent is bluffing.

In short I'd say that progressing up in limits I've probably progressed form LP games (and hence games where opponents very rarely bluff or semi bluff, so calling a marginal hand is often -EV) to LA/TA mixed games (which is going to involve much more bluffing/semibluffing). 

Have any of you guys gone through some sort of odd transition like this?  I'd say I've gone from weak-tight->tight-aggro->tight-aggro loose-agro stealer->tight-not quite so aggro vs LAGs and TAGs (giving them room to bluff).

In short I think I need to pay more attention to player types when I make these donkey moves.  I know I've been guilty of calling marginal hands down vs. TP and LP's and of course are shown monsters.

This game still amazes me at the adjustments that seem to work their way into your "game"...who knows, in a few months I might be a bluffing station for all I know... :)

Comments

• ScoobyD wrote:
    I think I'm becoming a donkey calling station. And yet I'm not sure whether that's a bad thing or not (although sometimes it is).

Ok, I'm pretty sure you know this is a bad thing :)

I am not a limit cash game player ( tournies sometimes) but I know what you are talking about in regards to style changes. I personally think short handed limit is hard because sooo many times it is correct to call with A high. I think you are on the right track though with paying more attention to the player who you make this play against. This is paramount.

GL
  • I know exactly what you mean.  It is the way you would play from the button so you expect everyone else to play the same way.  You are assuming they are stealing because that is exactly what you would do.

This is where pokertracker is a beautiful thing.  It tells you how often your opponent tried to steal and also it tells you how good you are at defending the blinds.

Some of my biggest pots at higher levels have come from donks who assume I am stealing, but I have actually walked into a monster. 

The thing to remember is that if it is a steal, likely your opponent won't take it too far so there isn't much money to win vs how much money you are losing if you fold your blind.  You only need to defend once or twice and your opponent won't take liberties with your blinds, otherwise mostly just fold. 

You may also want to analyze your flop play, instead of reading your opponent properly or trying to take the pot away from him, maybe you are just calling him down.  If you can't outplay him on the flop then you shouldn't be continuing past the flop without a good pair, and folding the blinds without good cards may be your best play.
  • I think this is a large part of why I never beat 5/10 shorthanded consistently. Some players are completely LAGtarded and you need to call them down with A-hi a lot, but others are fairly straightforward. Just remember which ones are which, and try to have at least KQ-hi or something, if he tabled KJ on you in that KT calldown you would probably have had to kill yourself.
  • if he tabled KJ on you in that KT calldown you would probably have had to kill yourself.

Yup. Always handy keeping that razorblade right next to the laptop just in case... :)

Incidently, I'm mired in a crazy downturn of variance lately as well, although I'm not ruling out some poor play and fair bit of tilt to that as well. Although in fairness I was probably due for a good -200 or so BB downturn after a prolonged 3-4 month hot run...