I want a newer computer : What's my play?

Hey, for all who live in waterloo, I am looking to buy a newer computer than the one I have. I'm not looking for anything amazing, just something like 1.5gb processor, 100gb memory and 500 mb ram.

Where should I go / what should I do / how much should I expect to spend (w/ 21" CRT Monitor)

Comments

• Meistro wrote:
    Hey, for all who live in waterloo, I am looking to buy a newer computer than the one I have. I'm not looking for anything amazing, just something like 1.5gb processor, 100gb memory and 500 mb ram.

Where should I go / what should I do / how much should I expect to spend (w/ 21" CRT Monitor)

Hey meistro, don't mean yo correct you.

You want a 1.5Ghz process, 100Gb harddrive and 500mb RAM.

Anyways, I know a few folks that use MDG and they are happy with them.

If you want to multitable, you'll need a good video card (avoid the computers that have shared video memory).

Not sure if you'll find anything new with these specs though.

I have an emachines from Best Buy.

It's an AMD 64, 200Gb harddrive and 1Gb RAM.
    Think that I paid around $700 (already had a monitor though)

Hobbes
  • You are probably not going to find anymore desktop combos that come with a CRT monitor anymore (at least not 21"), most (if not all) comes with 17 or 19" LCD monitors now, with the option of upgrading to a 21".

When you say you want a 1.5gb processor, I'm assuming you are looking for a laptop? Otherwise most desktops ones are 2.0ghz +, and its standard for it to come with 512 mb ram now. Most PCs I believe come with at least 120gb of harddrive space now. Most of the specs you listed are below today's standard if you are looking for a desktop, so you should be able to find one above your expectation pretty easily within a reasonable budget.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with Waterloo since I live in Toronto, but there are better places to go (from personal and other people's experience) then Best Buy/Future Shop/Staples/MDG. I have not dealt with Dell for their desktop division, but I have heard mixed reactions from those who have, so you can maybe check them out. Hopefully this helps.
  • check out www.canadacomputers.com
    ..by far the best bang for your buck, and some of the best prices i've seen bar none.
    good luck!
  • Quiane wrote:
    check out www.canadacomputers.com
    ..by far the best bang for your buck, and some of the best prices i've seen bar none.
    good luck!

Oh yeah, they do have a store location at King/University. I usually buy parts for my desktop from them (down here in Toronto), really good prices and gives you alot of solid options. Just make sure you do your research ahead of time, or else you might be tempted by what they offer you and get more than you need.
  • I've had close experience with some of the places mentioned here, albeit years ago. Their products are crap.

Dell builds a good computer in my experience. No hassles. Pretty cheap. They are not the fastest but if you just want it for general stuff and playing poker online, they are fine. Whatever components they put into the machine are tested and compatible. You can't say that for a lot of the smaller outfits.
  • Hobbes : Thanks for the correction, I am not very computer savvy, despite the fact that I am on my computer a TON.

I am not looking for another laptop, I want a desktop, was just thinking I wouldn't get a brand new one, just something that's pretty good you know? Thanks for the advice so far!
  • The easy way to figure out how much you want to spend and what you want it for, then find one that meets you needs.

Also you may want to determine if you are willing to upgrade or keep it until it dies.
  • a little late on this thread, sorry.

If you play enough online poker, then call your fave foom and ask them to buy you a new machine. You can then play more poker on their site. If you play enough, they'll do it too. We did that for a number of our VIP players last year. New laptops for anyone at a certain level (on the VIP scale).

Just a thought.
  • Zak, go to PC Waterloo in Universtiy Plaza and ask for Cooper. Tell him Josh Haddon recommended him. He'll give you a way better deal than Canada Computers.
  • Is a laptop recommended if I play mainly at home?

although not sure If I'll bring it with me If I'm on the road?
  • Hey guys thanks for all the advice. Can anyone else recommend a local vendor? I am still in the market. Has anyone ever bought a computer of craigslist? I am tempted by some of the offers but have no idea what I am doing!
  • Anyways, I know a few folks that use MDG and they are happy with them.

Good god stay away from these guys, they deal in crap, pure and utter crap, as does Future Shop, Staples or any of the big box stores. Dell desktops are absolute utter garbage...if you want a 3.2 Ghz system that runs like a 1.2 Ghz system buy Dell. One thing to keep in mind about Dell, Gateway, etc. they have these low-end manufacturers making parts for them and stamping the Dell logo on them.
    Unfortunately this is a difficult question as most of the small shops are crooks as well and deal with crap, most of the on-line or 'flyer' pre-built systems are shite IMO, my best advice to you is research what components you want then do some leg work around town to find a place that can put your components together for a decent price. I've been in this business way to long and I know most of the people around town and their 'deals' have very low end parts inside, that's not to say you have to spend a lot of money to get a decent system but you should educate yourself with regards to what goes in them.

I used to sell computers myself and could help you work out a shopping list if you'd like, pm me with the amount you want to spend and what you want to be able to do with it. I have two guys I trust, one in Cambridge, one in Kitchener. I don't sell anymore but I can still get quality parts from these guys at competitive prices.

You get what you pay for in this business believe me, if someone says they can hook you up with a cheap system you'll get exactly that! The best you can do is research components and put together the best combination of components for the budget you have.
  • I echo your comments on the MDG, IPC and Canada Computers of the world. As well as the 'house' brands of Future Shop, Staples, etc. are pretty much crap. However, selecting top notch components and having a 'mom & pop' store build you a system at a good price can lead to serious problems. I know of people who have done this and had their computer back to the shop numerous times due to incompatibilities, driver problems, etc - resulting in several weeks delay and a lot of trips back to the store.

The main advantage of going with Dell, HP, etc, is you get a computer that works out of the box. They test the configurations they sell and know everything works together. Yes, they use cheap components. That's how they can afford to ship you a computer from Asia and still beat the local's prices. And they probably aren't the fastest machines you can buy. But for the vast majority of users out there, I would say these computers have far more power than you will ever need for the types of stuff you plan to do. You can get a pretty good system for $600 or less these days (not counting monitor and these are getting pretty cheap now too). In the past, I have had good experience with Dell, Compaq, HP and even Acer machines. And I work on these all day so I am hugely dependent on them. Not high-end game playing but critical applications nonetheless.

Now, if you can find a local guy who is rock-solid and knows what he is doing, ya, this is also a great way to go. Problem is, those guys are few and far between.
  • I absolutley love everything about my Dell Laptop that I bought 3 years ago. Everything about the whole process was A+ except for the support. Had a bit of an issue there........
  • I have a Gateway from Best Buy and have never had an issue. I looked into MDG and I echo everyone else. Stay FAR FAR away.
  • Ercules wrote:
    I absolutley love everything about my Dell Laptop that I bought 3 years ago. Everything about the whole process was A+ except for the support. Had a bit of an issue there........

Their laptops seem to be solid, it's the desktops I don't care for....I agree with Greg that they are made to work out of the box regardless of the fact that I think they under-perform so I guess they have that going for them. I guess if budget is an issue at the very least pick a name you know over a no-name brand?
  • I have a Gateway from Best Buy and have never had an issue. I looked into MDG and I echo everyone else. Stay FAR FAR away.

I'm using an MDG PC right now....I guess I'm in trouble.
  • JohnnieH wrote:
    look up f*cked in the dictionary, you will see a picture of JohnnieH there.
  • JohnnieH wrote:
    Johnnie NOOOO!!!!!!!

/g2
  • It's sad, but true.

Our old PC (that a friend built for me) died on a Saturday. My wife had a paper due on Monday and we needed a cheap computer. Called and picked it up on the same day.

meh....so far, so good.
  • MDG computers are rigged!
  • JohnnieH wrote:
    meh....so far, so good.
    just wait till that 15-day warranty runs out. then grab the dictionary...
  • MDG computers are cheap. I purchased 2 for the office and one was infected with a virus. The assumed no responsibility for it and would charge me to remove it. Easy solution *REFORMAT* I actually reformed both and set them up how I wanted. They have been running almost solid for 2 years. I had to replace the CPU fan on one since it stopped working and the computer kept over heating without it. I am quite computer adept so they haven't been a real problem but I have heard some horror stories about the company. Buy it and expect a computer that may require you to do some work. I wouldn't recommend them nor would I necessarily stay away again. Cost wise they are the cheapest around. Every other wise they are a pain in the A$$
  • Well, when this one dies, (appartly it won't take long) at least I'll where to turn to find a better one.