What would you have done.

Ok just this past Sunday at a local poker tourney hosted by some people I know.

The structure No-limit rebuy $40 gets 1500C in chips with re-buys set at $20 for 750C. You can re-buy for the first 2 hours.

So coming up near the end of the 2nd hour I have about 5500C (100/200). And I am in the big blind.

Everyone has folded to the play who is next to the small blind. He raises to 250. the little blind folds, and I look down to see 96 suited. It is only 150 more to call so I do. The flop comes 69Q rainbow (none of my suit).

Ding Ding Ding. Money bells go off in my head. Now this player has me covered in chips having about 2 hand earlier won a huge pot (he has about 7500-8000). The pot has 550C in is so I do a double the pot bet intending to take it down here rather than letting him draw for overcards.

I bet 1000 into the pot. He thinks a bit and Calls. I put him on Q with a good kicker. The turn is a 3 of my suit thus making a flush draw impossible on board. Again I bet 1000 and again he calls.

The river is a 3 thus pairing the board. This time I check and he moves all in. After some thinking I fold. My process was like this. If I call and he has a Q I lose and I have to re-buy and only get 750 in chips. If I fold I still have just over 3000 still to play with, and therefore a shot at the money and the win.

I think my errors were 2 fold here

[A] I should have pushed all in after the Turn

barring that

I should have bet the river another 1000. By checking I gave him the power to bully me out of the pot with his chips.

Comments or what would you have done.

BTW I didn't make the money, I got crappy cards for the next 2 hours and the blinds short stacked me that eventually I moved in with A5 suited and got called by 77, Got an Ace on the turn but he got a 7 on the river. Thats poker.

Comments

• I agree with [A] but disagree with .

I would have moved all-in on the turn. If your oppoenent actually has you beat already, you're not going to be able to get away from the hand on the turn anyway. Not only is the pot worth picking up on the turn, but, more improtantly, your own stack is worth protecting. Since your stack is *well* above the rebuy limit, you should basically play as if you could not take a rebuy yourself. You've done well to build your chips, but it's a disaster for you if you drop down from 5,500 to the rebuy limit *and* you have to put more money in rebuying.

The way you actually played the river (check and fold) was right on. Betting 1,000 would accomplish nothing. Your opponent is never going to call 1,000 with a hand that your 9966Q can beat. The only possible hand your opponent might be bluffing the river with would be JT, but there are many more possible hands which beat you now that the running pair has come down. And if you really think your opponent will run a stone cold all-in bluff on you on the river, do you really think that leading into him for a mere 1,000 will slow him down?

A check-fold is in order here on the river, so I think you made the right river play as it was.

ScottyZ
  • Yeah the value bet on the river would have been stupid. I just really wish I knew what he had. Later on by watching him (once I was out) I realized he had been raising with small pocket pair all night and just checking with things like AK, AQ, KQ and the like.

I did not have this info at that point in the tournament as he had only been called to showdown twice and never showed his cards when he wasn't called.

I still think winning that pot might have made the difference in my possibility of winning the tourney.

Oh well next time I play it, I will remember how he likes to play.

Side note.

I have place 4 times in the money at this particular tournament and won it once. The time I won it it was the biggest cash prize for 1st $800. I have a write up some where I did for my friends via email. I should post it as it was perhaps some the best playing I have done.

The tournament was also very different this time. Usually it is limit for the first 4 hours (500 chips to start and 250 chips per re-buy) and then turns to no-limit after the 4th hour. This time it was no-limit from the get go. So I had very little info on how these players play no-limit vs how they play limit. Since by the time we get to no-limit 1/2 to 3/4 of the field is eliminated.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    I agree with [A] but disagree with .

I would have moved all-in on the turn.

A check-fold is in order here on the river, so I think you made the right river play as it was.

I agree with all of this...
  • Hmmm...I agree with most of it. Except I think maybe you should have lead out with a pot sized bet on the turn. That would have left you with around 2,500 in chips and would have significantly lowered the pot odds. It probably would have made him think twice about calling. Personally, I don't believe in going AI without the nuts.
  • Astroboy wrote:
    Hmmm...I agree with most of it. Except I think maybe you should have lead out with a pot sized bet on the turn. That would have left you with around 2,500 in chips and would have significantly lowered the pot odds. It probably would have made him think twice about calling. Personally, I don't believe in going AI without the nuts.

My problem with this hand was (and his is what I realize I was thinking of at the time). Mentally I was going 2 Pair vs his 1 pair I have him beat. He called a 1000 before and he will probably call it again. I can get more money out of his stack and into mine. Usually I do make pot size bets but this time I didn't. Though if I had I would have ended up putting about "EDIT 3/4" 2/3 of my stack in (250+1000+2550 = 3800) leaving me with 1700. So in that case if I was going to bet a pot size bet I was better off going all-in.
  • I fold without hesitation.