Warning: For Those Who Want To Go Pro

2»

Comments

• This is a great story..... But, dont u feel like these experiences have really made u a stronger person?

To me it seems like you have grown from all of this and u now have the implied odds on disipline to help you with your future endevours, possibly worth the experience ??

im not one to talk, because im a person that played poker 12 hours a day for a good 10years str8...literally- eat- breathed and slept poker :smilie:

however to me its still a passion... and i wouldnt know what the heck to do with my time away from the game...sooo on that note i gotta get the hell off of here... cause its cutting into my poker time :smilie:

anywhoooo....Good Luck Canada !!

Yukon

am i supposed to do quick replys or new replys??
  • Licentia wrote: »
    There is no reason why anyone should get addicted. If you can't win at the lowest value games in No-Limit, then you ain't gonna win with the largest.

I think your assumption that a only losing players can have a gambling addiction is incorrect.

If you can't control the game, whether you are a winning or losing player, you still have a problem. Maybe not a financial problem, but still a problem. It can still interfere with your family, work, health, etc.
  • I guess the age old question is next:

If you are a winning player, is the addiction still bad?
  • Licentia wrote: »
    LOL!!! Great parody SkittlePoker! Very creative!

As far as gambling addiction is concerned, I don't really understand it. Let's say I buy in for $50 and start playing $0.02/0.04 Limit games. If I run out of money, I know that I am not going pro anytime soon, and therefore I do not buy-in for any larger of an amount.

If on the other hand I double my money, or increase it a great deal, then I would increase the amount I am betting to the next level, which is maybe $0.10/0.20 or whatever it is. If I lose my money at the next level then I am not going to buy in for $500 the next time.

There is no reason why anyone should get addicted. If you can't win at the lowest value games in No-Limit, then you ain't gonna win with the largest. Start small and work your way up slowly. Stop increasing your betting at the last level that you are successful at.

No disrespect intended toward the person who is addicted, just rather I'd like to submit my theory of how anyone should approach playing Poker. Taking my approach I don't know why anyone should become addicted. That said, not everyone thinks like me...

Licentia

Clearly you do not understand how addiction works. Do some research, and try again.

As for whther a winning player's addiction is "bad", please clarify how you reference the term. Addiction, per se, can always be said to be "bad", regardless of it's profitability.
  • I guess the age old question is next:

If you are a winning player, is the addiction still bad?

I mean usually an addiction is something that starts to consume you, and really if you are winning large sums of money that consumes you to a certain point, but then couldn't the argument be made that you need money to live.

I guess that is what I am trying to get at, to be good at anything you need to have some sort of addiction to it, where people who play sports have a passion, couldn't that be construed as an addiction.
  • YukonBrad wrote: »
    This is a great story..... But, dont u feel like these experiences have really made u a stronger person?

To me it seems like you have grown from all of this and u now have the implied odds on disipline to help you with your future endevours, possibly worth the experience ??
    Kristy_Sea wrote: »

^^there's your answer on what he's learned.
  • $ is the greatest addiction, has really little to do with poker as poker can be replaced with ...
  • actyper wrote: »
    $ is the greatest addiction, has really little to do with poker as poker can be replaced with ...

yes but there is a difference in earning your living gambling (and I include poker as a form of gambling) and earning it the old fashion way. Even if you are making $$, if it consumes you, it is unhealthy IMO.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    yes but there is a difference in earning your living gambling (and I include poker as a form of gambling) and earning it the old fashion way. Even if you are making $$, if it consumes you, it is unhealthy IMO.

Hell, these days even this is gambling.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Hell, these days even this is gambling.

time for a new profession, by the sounds of things. I guess selling crack to school girls might be considered risky :)
  • Recognize that there is a difference between obsession and addiction. Though at times they may seem like two sides of the same coin, a psychologist will tell you that they affect the brain/body differently. An overly simplistic answer is that Obsession can be managed much more easily than Addiction. Secondly, obsession is mental, while addiction is physically.

Neither are very healthy states, regardless of how profitable they may be. Think about those extremely driven types who are incredibly successful in business, but have no lives . . . not healthy, but loads of $$$
  • YukonBrad wrote: »

Yukon

am i supposed to do quick replys or new replys??

Yukon,

Quick reply doesn't open a new window so it might be faster if you're connection/brower is slow. It doesn't make much difference.
  • This guy reminds me of the guy who asked out Kristi and wanted a $100 loan..
    Seems like he is just someone who wants attention... in my opinion.
  • This guy reminds me of the guy who asked out Kristi and wanted a $100 loan..

This guy reminds me of the guy who asked out Kristi and wanted a $100 loan..

imo
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    This guy reminds me of the guy who asked out Kristi and wanted a $100 loan..

imo
    We think very alike.