living with Autisim

My sweet 3 1/2 year old nephew was recently diagnosed as being Autistic. I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with Autisim in their family/ circle of friends so I can learn more about it.

Comments

• Hey Neil,

Sorry to hear about this. I just sent you a PM about it.

ScottyZ
  • Sorry to hear that Neil. I have no experience with Autistic people, but I'll ask around and see if anyone I know does.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • thanks guys.
  • i just stumbled across this site/forum

www togetherforautism dot org

hope it'll be usefull :)
  • Here's another spot you might find some useful information:

http://www.autismsociety.on.ca/

ScottyZ
  • I've worked with a few autistic kids in my time and know a number of people who still currently do work with Austistic kids. Are you looking for any community supports or just general information? Most of my experience is assisting kids that have behavioural issues due to a history of sexual or physical abuse or both. What I do know about Autism is that it REALLY varies from person to person. Some are verbal some non-verbal but the majority are aggressive at times due to the fact that they are rarely understood or they cannot articulate their needs. Most of the outburts I have witnessed have been due to the autistic child not having their basic needs met (ie. wants a bath, hungry etc.). I have also normally found that Autistic children are dual-diagnosed with something like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. In town if your family is looking for relief you could try KW habilitation Services, they contract out professionals to give families respite. If you need anything else I would be happy to help.

stp
  • Sorry to hear about that.