Hand Analysis

This one is always difficult...how do you play the flop?

PokerStars Game #5085157839: Tournament #25061258, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (300/600) - 2006/05/29 - 00:41:47 (ET)
Table '25061258 157' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: Ködan Armada (31300 in chips)
Seat 2: JHanz (16902 in chips)
Seat 3: mcatdog (6475 in chips)
Seat 4: dstich (67966 in chips)
Seat 5: O'Joy (23620 in chips)
Seat 6: Skyward_br (18366 in chips)
Seat 7: -ANTE RIVER- (25435 in chips)
Seat 8: BulldogMafia (43785 in chips)
Seat 9: kneeco (12735 in chips)
Ködan Armada: posts the ante 50
JHanz: posts the ante 50
mcatdog: posts the ante 50
dstich: posts the ante 50
O'Joy: posts the ante 50
Skyward_br: posts the ante 50
-ANTE RIVER-: posts the ante 50
BulldogMafia: posts the ante 50
kneeco: posts the ante 50
-ANTE RIVER-: posts small blind 300
BulldogMafia: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to -ANTE RIVER- [Th Ts]
kneeco: folds
Ködan Armada: raises 650 to 1250
JHanz: folds
mcatdog: folds
dstich: folds
O'Joy: folds
Skyward_br: folds
-ANTE RIVER-: raises 2250 to 3500
BulldogMafia: folds
Ködan Armada: calls 2250
*** FLOP *** [9d As Kh]
-ANTE RIVER-: checks
Ködan Armada: bets 3600
-ANTE RIVER-: folds
Ködan Armada collected 8050 from pot
Ködan Armada: shows [4d 3d] (high card Ace)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 8050 | Rake 0
Board [9d As Kh]
Seat 1: Ködan Armada collected (8050)
Seat 2: JHanz folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: mcatdog folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: dstich folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: O'Joy folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Skyward_br (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: -ANTE RIVER- (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 8: BulldogMafia (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: kneeco folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Comments

• easy fold nothing more to say
  • oh u gotz skooled
  • oh u gotz skooled

lol, the dude woulda caught runner runner 4 the str8, good fold by me :)
  • It's an easy fold since you checked and effectively gave up on the hand. I'd probably have lead out with a half-pot bet though, personally. I know you'll usually lose a few chips by doing that when they have one of them, but the amount they steal if you give up as soon as you see one is worse, IMO.
  • I agree with Beanie here, you took the lead pre-flop and let him know you had a good hand. You need to continue to lead here, a half pot bet seems right. As soon as you check you show weakness you put yourself in a position where you have to make a difficult decision. Leading out makes your decisions easier but ou have to fold the way you played it. A continuation bet likely takes the pot here and although you'll give up more chips sometimes I agree that the amount you lose along with the image you send out to the rest of the table when you check and fold this is far worse.
  • Man, no offence but you really played this hand horribly. I'm not a big fan of reraising EP raisers preflop out of position, but if you're going to do so at least make the raise big enough so he has a chance to fold. As you played the hand, you have to bet that flop, half the pot sounds about right. Check/folding is really weak and bad...did you have any reads also? What does his tiny raise mean? Anyway, this hand just demonstrates how powerful position is :D
  • half the pot sounds about right.

Do you think you can provoke a fold out of a EP raiser 1 out of 3 times on an AKx flop?
  • BBC Z wrote:
    half the pot sounds about right.

Do you think you can provoke a fold out of a EP raiser 1 out of 3 times on an AKx flop?

Thats not the only issue...first of all reads are so important to playing a hand like this, OP shoulda posted whether he had a read or not.

Anyway, im not a huge fan of betting out into an AK flop, but its better than the alternatives. Check folding is ridiculous (unless of course u have a read that hes tight/passive), check calling doesnt get you any info, and check raising is ridiculous. Bet out and see what happens, you might get a fold, a call or a raise, but at least you're learning something and not just giving up on the pot. If you're called maybe you can shut it down.

If OP had raised more preflop, where junk like 43 wouldnt have odds to call, than a check/fold might be more in order.
  • Ok.. I love aggression and the more ruthless the better.. but cmon..
    Check folding is ridiculous (unless of course u have a read that hes tight/passive),

Why? There have to be times in poker when you put up the white flag and cut your losses..
    If you're called maybe you can shut it down.

Maybe?
  • i would definately FC preflop... if you are going to raise, raise more preflop... make it like 5500 to go or so... i think checking that flop also makes it easy for your opponent to put you on a hand like TT JJ or QQ... if you reraised preflop i don't really think you can check-fold this flop... you make a continuation bet... but if you FC preflop i don't mind check-folding... but definately once you took control of the hand preflop by reraising you need to keep up the aggression at least on the flop.
  • Thanks for the replies so far....
    did you have any reads also?
    No. I was at his table for a while before the play, but he hadn't done anything up to that
    point to make me feel that I was ahead after he called my re-raise and then seeing 2 overcards on the flop.

at least make the raise big enough so he has a chance to fold
    Bigger is better here...

Why? There have to be times in poker when you put up the white flag and cut your losses..
    lol, I agree here too. To this point, I had played well and didn't want to splash around any further in this
    case. The call after the re-raisemade me think any A or K was a big possibility.

make a continuation bet
    Obviously a great information getter in this situation - a piece of my game I do not use enough.

Thanks all...