Card Rushes

Hello everyone, I've been reading here for a while and have finally found a topic that I'd like to get some feedback on.
This is my first post, so bear with me.

This question applies more to my SNG experience, but I'm sure would apply to cash games as well.
(I am a $5 - $10 SNG player and a micro cash game player) this may have some merit to the questions stated below.
Also, I'm generally tight agressive, so I'm not usually jamming every other pot.

How do you handle mini rushes when you find 3-4 hands in a row such as (AQ, AK, JJ) from any position?
Now, by the 3rd or 4th hand are you still opening up with the standard 3X BB, or do you approach your pre-flop
action differently because of the credibility you may be losing by opening up a pot for the 3rd or 4th time in a row?
As you all know, this doesn't happen very often but when this situation does arise, I find myself limping
into pots that I'd normally open with. (I find that with the 3rd or 4th raise, I'll now have multiple callers wheras before I could isolate the field)
There is also the perception of tilt when I may have lost one or both of the opening hands . . . is that a good thing?

doc

Comments

• In general, I'd keep the bet size the same. If you start varying your bet size based on what you want your opponents to do, observant opponents are going to pick up on that. Now, along the same lines, if I've been on a mini-rush, I'm not likely going to open a pot with a weaker hand, because your perceived table image is that you're loose-aggressive, and opponents are much more likely to call or reraise.
  • Depending on my opponents I may start to bet more. Nothing like making a 3x raise, then a 3x raise, grab AA and make it 5x raise as if your trying to scare people. If I know the players well then I just keep it the same, because usually after the 3rd or 4th opening the pot with a raise someone will play back at you not just call. Or go for the limp reraise, that can get you lots of action.

Again it all depends on your opponents, what they are showing down and how they are reacting to your rush.
  • I had been thinking about this since we spoke the other day. I cannot remember the last time I hit a three or four card rush.
    Lets face it, position will dictate your decisions.
    Sometimes its just as well to pass, limp, or just plain fold. Lol
    How do you like that plain answer?
  • The other day these hands hit me starting when I was on the button in a 2/4 game.

1 folded to me on the button I raise with J 9 of hearts blinds fold.
    2 next hand I get JJ with 2 limpers and raise it up BB calls and other limpers call hit a set and take down a nice pot
    3 next hand I get AKs which I re raise after an ep raise, we cap. flop a gushot straight with the flush draw, with the flush coming on the turn, again a nice pot
    4 next hand was KK I raise everyone folds
    5 next hand was AA I raise with 2 callers. I bet and they call to the river and AA holds up
    6 next hand was AA I raise everyone folds
    7 next hand was QQ I raise, 2 callers hit the set on the flop, board pairs on the river and take down a nice pot.
    8 next hand was AJ o which I raise (Strictly due to the card rush and not a standard play from that position) and get one caller, board flops all clubs (my AJ was red). I bet out since I'd been running well and he folds.
    didn't see a playable hand in the next 3 orbits. tho I did hit 2 pair in the blinds with 9 5 off which won.

The only hand in there I considered folding was the AJ off but since I was running so well figured what the hell.
  • I just keep with whatever my standard raising formula has been [XBB + (XBB x # of limpers)] and hope people are sick of it and reraise me. My raising requirements do go up every time though for that same reason.
  • Thanks for comments so far everyone.

AcidJoe, that's an extraordinary rush. I've never been the beneficiary of a run quite like that.
    Can you comment on how this run might have taken place in a no limit environment? (cash or tourney)
    Aside from the always playable (AA KK QQ AK), you said you'd considered folding AJ.
    That's a perfect example to what I was touching on in my original post.
    Playing NL, if I open in mid-late position in the midst of this "rush" with the AJ,
    and get popped back, I have a tough decision to make.
    Am I up against a big hand now, or is someone telling me to settle down (with a possible lesser holding)?
    Would limping in this scenario be a horrible play, or is this a somewhat paranoid take on the situation?

Thanks again.
    doc
  • This was all limit so it wasn't that tough because I'm not going to be popped back more than a bet I figure but maybe 2 with the AJ. I know people were getting tired of me raising it up every hand. I probably fold the AJo out of position like that in a limit game. If it was suited different equation. It was all 2/4 limit. I have a rule where if there is a hand I'll limp with in limit and folded to me I'll raise to see what happens. I like being the aggressor. That was my reasoning for raising the AJo out of position in the midst of getting cards. I'd say it was my best orbit I'd ever experienced. It was also played on prima where most of the limit players are rocks so you usually only get played back at by A) damn good pair or B) a player from sweden.
  • First of all, heck of a nice rush of cards Acid.....lol, like them Swedish players
    Doc, you are paranoid....you can limp in, why noy?
    after all"A)they could be a damn good pair or B) a player from sweden"quote AcidJoe
    they will let you know if they are strong.