I smell a bluff...but don't want an overcall.

Does anyone raise the river here? I think there is a strong possibility the river bet may be a bluff. I'm also fairly sure the guy behind me can't have that strong of a hand, but likely has one which beats me.

Game # 337466301 - Texas Hold'em Fixed Limit EUR 2/4 - Table "Gothenburg"

Players(max 10):
nilsparon (EUR 168.00 in seat 1)
ScoobD (EUR 206.00 in seat 2)
hapukurk1 (EUR 60.50 in seat 3)
mark493 (EUR 98.00 in seat 4)
dontwin (EUR 102.25 in seat 5)
terjod (EUR 85.00 in seat 6)
pavan384 (EUR 106.50 in seat 7)
VassVessla (EUR 176.50 in seat 8)
Dreggis (EUR 87.27 in seat 9)

Dealer: dontwin
Small Blind: terjod (1.00)
Big Blind: pavan384 (2.00)

ScoobD was dealt: Js - As

VassVessla Fold
Dreggis Fold
nilsparon Fold
ScoobD Raise (4.00)
hapukurk1 Fold
mark493 Raise (6.00)
dontwin Fold
terjod Call (5.00)
pavan384 Fold
ScoobD Call (2.00)

Flop Ts - 5h - 3c

terjod Check
ScoobD Check
mark493 Bet (2.00)
terjod Call (2.00)
ScoobD Call (2.00)

Turn Ts - 5h - 3c - 9c

terjod Check
ScoobD Check
mark493 Check

River Ts - 5h - 3c - 9c - Td

terjod Bet (4.00)
ScoobD ?

Comments

• I usually just fold, but if these guys are capable of folding at all you've described the obvious situation for a bluff raise. Can't say I've ever really bothered trying that though but the pot is big enough that it might be worthwhile, except no thinking player will believe you have a T.
  • Why wouldn't you think the guy had a medium pair (which he may or may not have made a set with).

Check called the flop on a non scary board, figuring to check raise (if he had the set) or evaluate his pair based on the turn card.

After everyone checks the turn, he figures his pair/set (now two pair or full house) is good and bets.

Now agree that raising is better than calling if you think this guy is capable of bluffing with something less than AJ high into two players, but you need to be able to fold to a three bet
  • I usually just fold, but if these guys are capable of folding at all you've described the obvious situation for a bluff raise.

Ya, I posted it because I usually just fold as well but actually strongly considered raising (bluff-raising the river with 2 players left isn't a play I'd typically make). And my raise wasn't with the intention of representing a T either, mainly just to push out the player behind me. Incidently, as Chugs mentioned, the blind could very easily have a middle pair here or a slowplayed set as well (intending to check raise the pf raiser on the turn). I can't even really rule out a T either from a weak player that might cold call 2 with a hand like JTs or the like but is scared of the preflop 3 bettor. Headsup on the end, I think I'd make the call though, probably picking off a bluff with a weaker ace, overcards (KJ, QJ, KQ) often enough to make the play profitable.
    but you need to be able to fold to a three bet

Yup.

In hindsight, flat calling there might make it all but impossible for a decent player to overcall with AK or AQ UI...with the benefit of only risking one bet, if my read happens to be wrong and EP does have a monster. Of course it's possible the raise may get a few of the SB's weaker made hands (small pairs, AK, AQ) to fold.