World Cup Pool Help

I'm planning on having a 2006 World Cup Soccer Pool at the office. Any suggestions on how to structure the pool? do you know of any sites you can use to keep track of your pool results? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

PokerJAH

Comments

• there is one called
    officepools.com I think, which I have used for hockey. Not sure they can help for the cup.

Go Netherlands!!!

Cheers
  • You can probably do a pool similar to that of the NCAA pool. Since all the playoff brackets are set in stone (A1 vs. B2 winner face winner of C1 vs. D2 etc etc), you can have everyone filled out their choice of group winner and group runner ups, and also fill in all the second round/quarter-finals/semi-finals winners, and whoever has the most correct spaces by the end wins.
    Another option is have each participants rank each group in the order of finish, and when the standings are decided, points are award. The second part will involved the bracket, where the participants will fill out the winners based on the actual group finish, not the predicted finish by the participants.

These two are the more common ways to do it, but there are many possible ways you can do a pool. If you choose either of the two methods I listed above, you can probably keep track of points manually. I'm not sure if the site officepools.com is going to have one for the world cup, but you can check. There are other pool structures, I think Yahoo is having one where you choose 23 players and are awarded points based on their performance (similar to fantasy hockey/baseball etc).

Hope this was helpful to you.
  • thanks a lot, these are some good ideas; I like the idea of selecting the placement of each team in each bracket and then maybe I can have each person select the winner of the quarter final teams , etc. to the final as the tournament progresses.
  • Having participants select the ranking in the group stage, and then the winners in the knockout stage seperately usually keeps it more interesting as no one is really going to be "out of it" after the first stage.
  • Anybody here interested in setting up a world cup pool???
  • TNORTH wrote:
    Anybody here interested in setting up a world cup pool???

If there is enough interest, maybe.
  • westside8 wrote:
    Having participants select the ranking in the group stage, and then the winners in the knockout stage seperately usually keeps it more interesting as no one is really going to be "out of it" after the first stage.

I like to run pools where each person still has a chance to the end. Nobody likes to get eliminated after the first game of the tournament.