.50/1.00 tyring to increase aggression

Not really sure how I feel about this hand, my pre-flop call is suspect to say the least but I've played with ChucknJive before and he raises way to much and could be on any two cards I figured at this level I figured there would be enough callers to warrant a call with my two suited cards. On the flop I was too weak, I knew my 5's were good but I should be raising here I think? The turn I'm happy with but the spade on the river slowed me down, seeing monsters under the bed which I need to work on...do you call here or keep jamming, I think I should have kept jamming!

Seat 1: imnxbmqb10 ($21.25 in chips)
Seat 2: bebert65 ($24.5 in chips)
Seat 3: moirmc77 ($23.25 in chips)
Seat 4: zelda22 ($5.25 in chips)
Seat 5: Davespade ($22.75 in chips)
Seat 6: ChucknJive ($18.75 in chips)
Seat 7: Saturas ($58.75 in chips)
Seat 8: BigE67 ($25 in chips)
Seat 9: choppers99 ($9.72 in chips)
Seat 10: Bansku ($32.62 in chips)

bebert65: Post SB $0.25
moirmc77: Post BB $0.5
BigE67: Post BB $0.5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BigE67 [H5 H2]
zelda22: Call $0.5
Davespade: Call $0.5
ChucknJive: Raise $1
Saturas: Fold
BigE67: Call $0.5
choppers99: Fold
Bansku: Call $1
imnxbmqb10: Fold
bebert65: Call $0.75
moirmc77: Fold
zelda22: Call $0.5
Davespade: Call $0.5
*** FLOP *** [S5 DK C5]
bebert65: Bet $0.5
zelda22: Raise $1
Davespade: Fold
ChucknJive: Call $1
BigE67: Call $1
bebert65: Raise $1
zelda22: Raise $1
bebert65: Call $0.5
*** TURN *** [S5 DK C5 SJ]
bebert65: Bet $1
zelda22: Raise $2
ChucknJive: Call $2
BigE67: Raise $3
Bansku: Fold
bebert65: Call $2
zelda22: Allin $0.25
*** RIVER *** [S5 DK C5 SJ S7]
bebert65: Bet $1
*** SHOW DOWN ***
bebert65: shows [DJ HQ] (Two pair)
zelda22: shows (mucked) [D3 CK] (Two pair)
ChucknJive: shows [SA HK] (Two pair)
BigE67: shows [H5 H2] (Three of a kind)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $29.75 Rake $1
BigE67: wins $29.75

I showed this to a friend of mine, he agreed I played it too weak, so trying to work on my agression I get this hand. Mind you it pretty much played itself, I like this flop although there are two spades....in the past I may not have jammed this so much and I honestly felt on the river that pandoraland might be on AA but I'm trying not to see monsters under the bed. Check out what they were playing, I can understand pandoraland perhaps but I think he seriously overplayed AK? AJ is just a joke in this hand and quite honestly nilsson should just pack it in 24o good god that's horrible...25 suited is waaaaaaaaay better. Anyways, it was nice seeing that $36 slide over my way!

Seat 1: BIGTEXICAN ($15 in chips)
Seat 2: BigE67 ($21.25 in chips)
Seat 3: zacari ($2.5 in chips)
Seat 4: amgonnagetye ($6.75 in chips)
Seat 5: bidcaller2 ($14.61 in chips)
Seat 6: jdrunnels ($15 in chips)
Seat 7: bleufever ($4.5 in chips)
Seat 8: Nilsson87 ($8 in chips)
Seat 9: Bluffaceace ($22.65 in chips)
Seat 10: pandoraland ($22.25 in chips)

BigE67: Post SB $0.25
zacari: Post BB $0.5
Bluffaceace: Post BB $0.5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BigE67 [CQ DQ]
amgonnagetye: Fold
bidcaller2: Fold
jdrunnels: Fold
bleufever: Raise $1
Nilsson87: Raise $1.5
Bluffaceace: Call $1
pandoraland: Raise $2
BIGTEXICAN: Fold
BigE67: Call $1.75
zacari: Fold
bleufever: Call $1
Nilsson87: Call $0.5
Bluffaceace: Call $0.5
*** FLOP *** [SQ S9 DA]
BigE67: Bet $0.5
bleufever: Call $0.5
Nilsson87: Raise $1
Bluffaceace: Fold
pandoraland: Raise $1.5
BigE67: Raise $1.5
bleufever: Call $1.5
Nilsson87: Call $1
pandoraland: Call $0.5
*** TURN *** [SQ S9 DA C3]
BigE67: Bet $1
bleufever: Allin $0.5
Nilsson87: Raise $2
pandoraland: Call $2
BigE67: Raise $2
Nilsson87: Allin $2
pandoraland: Call $2
*** RIVER *** [SQ S9 DA C3 D8]
BigE67: Bet $1
pandoraland: Raise $2
BigE67: Raise $2
pandoraland: Call $1
*** SHOW DOWN ***
BigE67: shows [CQ DQ] (Three of a kind)
bleufever: shows (mucked) [HA DJ] (Pair)
Nilsson87: shows [D2 C4] (None)
pandoraland: shows (mucked) [CK CA] (Pair)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $36 Rake $1
BigE67: wins $36

Comments

• I'd stop playing at a site that can't figure out the standard way of describing a card is <value><suit>.
  • first is ok, i bet/raise until river where i might FC, but the second hand is pretty weak, keep on raising...
  • If you were last to act then calling with 5 2 sooted isn't the worst play ever, but calling a raise for a single bet when you are not last to act is certainly a losing play. You aren't playing the raiser, you are playing the table.

As for the rest of the hand, playing at very low limits people will always call you down with an overpair here, or even overcards, because they will not believe that you have the 5. If you had a way of flipping your cards and showing the 5, they still won't believe that you have the 5. Raise at every possible chance in this situation.
  • If you were last to act then calling with 5 2 sooted isn't the worst play ever, but calling a raise for a single bet when you are not last to act is certainly a losing play. You aren't playing the raiser, you are playing the table.

Did you notice that hero posted in this hand? I'd call one with the suited connector in that spot cuz the pot will be huge.
  • specialK wrote:
    first is ok, i bet/raise until river where i might FC, but the second hand is pretty weak, keep on raising...

I'm not sure I understand Kyle? The second hand is capped every street..it's .50/1.00 limit so I don't know how I could have gotten more out of that hand. I was more concerned about my pre-flop call and then weak play post flop on the first hand. Luckily the flop was capped but I think I should have been raising, the turn capped, all good. The river tho I played weak...and thanks for the comments, I have to get past the thinking that when the scare card comes on the river I may be beat so slow down. I think I need to remain aggressive here, if someone comes back over the top then maybe I should think about slowing down, maybe?
    sure the Q hand is pretty easy to play but I think it was good and healthy to push it and get past the thought of 'oh, he must have AA'
  • BBC Z wrote:
    If you were last to act then calling with 5 2 sooted isn't the worst play ever, but calling a raise for a single bet when you are not last to act is certainly a losing play. You aren't playing the raiser, you are playing the table.

Did you notice that hero posted in this hand? I'd call one with the suited connector in that spot cuz the pot will be huge.

I agree with that aspect, but he is not closing the action so I can't say that this is a winning play. However, I will agree that, in general, it is not very common for low limit games to get reraised preflop, but you don't know how the table is playing if your just sat and posted.
  • On the flop I was too weak, I knew my 5's were good but I should be raising here I think?

I don't get how you know you're fives are good on the flop. The BB bet out on the flop and reraised plus you have UTG reraising, which could easily be a set of kings AND 3 people cold calling. One person is sitting on their set (you), there is no straight or flush draw and yet there is all this action and cold callers. It's hard to believe you can think your fives are good, best I would be hoping for here is a chop on the river. Maybe you can't lay this hand down but certainly I wouldn't be betting here, when I could easily be showing down the 4th best hand on the river.

I realize at .50/1.00 you see a lot of donk plays here but retrospectively we see here that Berbert65 is the king of donks. I can only imagine he is bluffing a BB special on the flop, but 6 handed this is a suicide play. If you had raised on the flop, even these donks would have realized, out of the 3 raisers, someone must have a 5 and you would have gotten a lot less action on the turn and fewer callers to the river.
  • , but you don't know how the table is playing if your just sat and posted.

Well if it comes back capped, you learned for the cost of a few bets :-)
  • GTA Poker wrote:
    If you were last to act then calling with 5 2 sooted isn't the worst play ever, but calling a raise for a single bet when you are not last to act is certainly a losing play.  You aren't playing the raiser, you are playing the table.

Am I mistaken or was he getting 6:1 to call 1bet? Sure he has horrid position but it's a limit game.. I liked the call..

I agree with your friend you played a little weak with the 52 3 betting and capping is better..
    You played the QQ very well!
  • moose wrote:
    On the flop I was too weak, I knew my 5's were good but I should be raising here I think?

I don't get how you know you're fives are good on the flop.  The BB bet out on the flop and re-raised plus you have UTG re-raising, which could easily be a set of kings AND 3 people cold calling.  One person is sitting on their set (you), there is no straight or flush draw and yet there is all this action and cold callers. 

Clearing a bonus here I have played frequently with some of these players and I have noticed they over value top pair, middle pair, and most definitely any paint or even if they catch a small part of the flop ie: any draw or third pair. The pre-flop action led me to believe nobody was on KK, although K5 in hind site was a definite possibility, and at this level someone could easily have played it? I definitely had one of them on AK, good god they over play that at .50/1.00 and on the turn with a second spade coming and a straight draw someone most definitely was drawing....and they bet their draws for value as they should....when the third spade came on the river I fully expected to lose to someone play something like 82s? right or wrong I had my read on the table and thought I was good until the river. Speaking of over playing AK....another day on this site I had AK in EP, raised pre-flop, the button cold calls $1. Flop comes down AK6 rainbow.....sweet, I bet, 2 callers, button re-raises me? Hmmmm, turn a 5, I remain aggressive and bet, only the button calls me, river a 6, I bet, get re-raised again? Was he on 66 for quads....nope he played 62o, called $1 cold with it pre-flop....that is what I truly hate about this game!

Thanks for the comments everyone!
  • Big E wrote:
    moose wrote:
    On the flop I was too weak, I knew my 5's were good but I should be raising here I think?

I don't get how you know you're fives are good on the flop.  The BB bet out on the flop and re-raised plus you have UTG re-raising, which could easily be a set of kings AND 3 people cold calling.  One person is sitting on their set (you), there is no straight or flush draw and yet there is all this action and cold callers. 

Clearing a bonus here I have played frequently with some of these players and I have noticed they over value top pair, middle pair, and most definitely any paint or even if they catch a small part of the flop ie: any draw or third pair. The pre-flop action led me to believe nobody was on KK, although K5 in hind site was a definite possibility, and at this level someone could easily have played it? I definitely had one of them on AK, good god they over play that at .50/1.00 and on the turn with a second spade coming and a straight draw someone most definitely was drawing....and they bet their draws for value as they should....when the third spade came on the river I fully expected to lose to someone play something like 82s?

BigE, you are discussing the turn action. I go back to your statement that you thought you were good on the flop and should have been more aggressive. I agree that KK was doubtful, but ChuckNJive raised PF. If he had KK and flopped the nuts, he would have played the flop exactly the same. Plus if you expected by the turn to see someone turn over 82s, then a cold caller on the flop could just have easily been slowplaying even 53s, which has you beat. That is exactly how you played the hand with your trips. I watch cold callers much more carefully than raisers. I always ask myself, "Why are they cold calling".

As you said, lots of guys will bet or chase with draws but there are no draws at all on the flop. So why are these guys raising/coldcalling?
    There are just not that many Kings in the deck to justify the action on the flop. As I said before, realistically someone else has a 5, and the best you can hope is to catch a high card on the turn or river just to chop. By the river, A5, K5, Q5, J5, KK, JJ, 77, 75 and any flush beats you, any other 5 and you chop. Based on your evaluation of the players at your level coming in preflop with any paint, PP or drawing cards and overvaluing middle pair on the flop, can we eliminate any of these hands? We see in hindsight, the play by your opponents was just awful but in most cases, being aggressive in these situations is going to cost you. You have to be able to read the action on the flop and determine the likelihood of your hand being good at showdown. Occasionally you will throw away the best hand based on the flop action, but simply continuing to the river, hoping your hand stands up or chops is not good poker.
  • Very good points Moose, and something for me to think about, thanks!