Recognition in Order

I would like to be the first to extend congratulations and gratitude to “King Mob”. Last night, “King Mob” was recognized by the Waterloo Regional Police Service and presented with a Citizen Citation of Commendation.

As a result of King Mob’s quick thinking and excellent communication skills he was able to convince a bank robber to return stolen money. It is the combination of extraordinary actions by ordinary citizens that keep our communities safe for ourselves and families.

It is nice to see members of our forum go above and beyond.

Congratulations again,

Tom

Comments

• Wow, nice job Dave. Congratulations on the award.

/g2
  • Holy crap! Convince? That takes a lot more bravery than 'smashing over the head with a chair'. NH.
  • Well deserved Dave - glad you're local ;) . Congratulations!
  • Congrats Dave! For those who get the Record (Kitchener/Waterloo paper), check out the write-up on page B2 today.
  • Wow, a very noble thing to do, nice one...be proud!
  • Screw all of you, I needed that money.
  • Wolffhound wrote:
    Screw all of you, I needed that money.

with wings at $9/LB and up I see why!
  • Wolffhound wrote:
    Screw all of you, I needed that money.
    LOL - at work... thanks Dave :rage:

/g2
  • Found via Google News...

http://www.therecord.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=record/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1147816223629&call_pageid=1024322085509&col=1024322199564
    David Kostis' long experience as a bartender and bouncer paid off in a big way when he talked a bank robber into returning to the scene of the crime.

Kostis was among 14 people to receive Citizen Citations yesterday during the annual Waterloo Regional Police 2006 Awards Night.

Kostis said he recognized the man from the bar scene and he was obviously drunk and disoriented so he tried to avoid him while inside the bank. A few minutes later Kostis noticed a bank teller was very upset so he went up to her and asked what was wrong.

"She told me he had just robbed her and he had left the knife behind that he had used to threaten her," Kostis said in an interview.

"I informed her that I would go and bring him back," Kostis said.

Kostis ran outside the bank and found the robber getting into a taxi cab. He then started talking to the man.

"I convinced him that if he came back inside things would go better for him in the long run, and I sat talking to him until the police officers arrived," Kostis said.

Kostis said he learned how to communicate with drunks and difficult people while working in bars.

"So I was quite confident that I could talk him into coming in to sit down. Honestly, I wasn't physically intimidated by him, he was less than half my size," Kostis said.

"You keep offering solutions that sound positive to their needs, but without giving them options. You keep informing them about what they want to do, and what will help them and keep them moving along," Kostis said.

Way to go!
  • Atta-boy, Dave!!!
  • I loved this story when I first heard it from Dave, it's great that he is being recognized in this way.  Dave is a heck of a guy, my comic book hero!

stp
  • I'm not playing poker with him again, he'll convince me to call when he has the absolute nuts. Nice work Dave! A very brave thing to do!
  • compuease wrote:
    I'm not playing poker with him again, he'll convince me to call when he has the absolute nuts. 

I played him heads up, and he did!

well done
  • very nice
  • Wow, I read about that story a while ago. I had no idea I knew the guy. Way to go Dave!
  • If only he had had time to change into his underwear.. erm.. I mean, super hero costume.

Congrats Dave... 100% my favorite story to tell

Mark
  • Well done Dave. Ever thought of having them making a comic book about you? I know a guy that owns a comic book store and he'd probably be more than happy to sell them there.

SRS
  •           Thanks everyone.

I realize this post is pretty late, but I just saw it today.

This whole thing is actually a little embarrassing for me. I like to think that everyone would use their skills to help out their community when the opportunity arose. I just have a different skill set then most. If being 6'9" is a skill.

But a kind word from friends is always appreciated.

Dave Kostis.

P.S. Most of the news article is, at best, misquotes.

P.P.S. It really bugs me what passes for journalism at the Record. Notice the lack of factual background (dates,locations,etc.) and titular nouns (that's Mr. Kostis to you,sir). He didn't even name my job correctly.