Rebuy Tourney: Hand 1, Poor play during the rebuy period

A couple of notes to begin:

I'll put the hands in separate threads and make them sticky so it's easy to read them all (or skip over them all). I'll unstick them in a few days.

EDIT: Okay, I decided to make them non-sticky. The posts are intrusive enough just as they are. ;)

Comments welcome of course. That's what we do here. :)

On to the first hand. I HATE the way I played this hand. Being in the rebuy period is no excuse to play this so badly.

Everyone who's had a hand I've critisized can have a field day with this one. ;)

I don't necessarily rebuy right at the beginning, but I will under certain circumstances... e.g. if there's at least one terrible player with ~3000 chips or more, or if most of the opponents do rebuy (after registration closes).

POKERSTARS GAME #538786653: TOURNAMENT #1983658, HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL I (10/20) - 2004/07/11 - 22:20:23 (ET)
Table '1983658 54' Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: 29shorts (1260 in chips)
Seat 2: overscore (1380 in chips)
Seat 3: rocket27 (3910 in chips)
Seat 4: SLMAC-MAN (3650 in chips)
Seat 5: Fah1 (1770 in chips)
Seat 6: RockemSockem (2970 in chips)
Seat 7: John_Galt (1580 in chips)
Seat 8: soup167 (1480 in chips)
Seat 9: ScottyZ (1500 in chips)
John_Galt: posts small blind 10
soup167: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ScottyZ [Th Tc]
ScottyZ: calls 20
29shorts: raises 100 to 120
overscore: folds
rocket27: calls 120
SLMAC-MAN: folds
Fah1: folds
RockemSockem: folds
John_Galt: folds
soup167: folds
ScottyZ: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [7h Jh 7s]
ScottyZ: checks
29shorts: bets 80
rocket27: calls 80
ScottyZ: calls 80
*** TURN *** [7h Jh 7s] [4c]
29shorts: bets 280
rocket27: folds
ScottyZ: calls 280
*** RIVER *** [7h Jh 7s 4c] [2d]
29shorts: bets 360
ScottyZ: calls 360
*** SHOW DOWN ***
29shorts: shows [Js Ts] (two pair, Jacks and Sevens)
ScottyZ: mucks hand
29shorts collected 1910 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1910 | Rake 0
Board [7h Jh 7s 4c 2d]
Seat 1: 29shorts showed [Js Ts] and won (1910) with two pair, Jacks and Sevens
Seat 2: overscore folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: rocket27 folded on the Turn
Seat 4: SLMAC-MAN folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Fah1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: RockemSockem (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: John_Galt (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: soup167 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: ScottyZ mucked [Th Tc] - two pair, Tens and Sevens

Comments

• Here's what I think:

Calling the preflop raise is okay. I might've folded too because you're out of position. This reminds me of my 99 hand in the Brantford tourney, except I folded to a raise.

On the flop, if I didn't flop a set or an overpair I would've folded to a bet unless you had the odds to chase your set.

Check-calling the turn and river was pretty much a waste of chips to me. Unless a scare card (heart) fell, he was probably going to keep betting thinking he had the best hand which he did.

I've never seen you play but this is not the type of playing I'd expect from you, judging from the advice you've given me in the past on my play. Did you have some sort of read on this player?
  • I've never seen you play but this is not the type of playing I'd expect from you, judging from the advice you've given me in the past on my play. Did you have some sort of read on this player?
    Unfortunately no. This is nothing more than being a bonehead. :frown:

This is a common mistake I've been making during the rebuy period of these tourneys--- namely, trying to make really "fancy" call-downs. I think I was unfortunate that quite a few fancy call-down attempts previous to this one have *worked*, so now I have something important to unlearn.

I deserve a good (online) bitch slapping for this one. Please sir, may I have another?

:)

Not a great hand to start the series with, eh? Unfortunately it was chronologically first, so there you have it. Don't worry, it gets better. :cool:

Scotty Z
  • I hereby give you an online bitch-slapping. Raise preflop! You have a good starting hand, and if that's not enough of a reason to raise, hell, it's the rebuy period!!!

;)
    all_aces