Multi Table Tourney - End Game Strategy

I've started playing the MTT's on party, approx 2200 players in the last 6 tourney's I've played I've finished in the top 200 (in the money) 4 of the 6 times. I feel like I'm playing solid, doubling my stack about every hour but cant seem to make it too close to the final table for the bigger payouts (best finish was 65th) and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for end game play... should i just stick with a tight solid game hoping to hit some good cards once down to the final few hundred or is it important to go into the last few tables with a large stack (hence requiring more agressive but riskier play).

Any type of comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated.. fyi i've been playing the 20k guaranteed 11$ buyin game on party.

I'm guessing either i need to get more agressive earlier on or need to just get a but luckier at the end game, once the bubble hits I'm usually around stack avg or slightly above.

thanks,
Nick.

Comments

• Are you tight/solid throughout, or do you allow for aggressive blind stealing mid-tournament and near the bubble?
  • I'll do some stealing yes, depending on how tight the players to my left are and their stack size.
  • If you are an above average stack, but not huge, i would just keep doing what you are doing. Especially with so many players left. I will start to really loosen up when it gets down to 27 or 18, when people are really striving to reach the final table. And once you reach 11 handed it should be all out war. Your sample size is super small, so I wouldnt start changing your game based on 6 mtts. Post some hand histories of how you were eliminated, or what you thought went wrong, and perhaps we can help more.
  • well.... have u read T.J .Cloutier and Tom M.'s book Championship No-Limit Hold-em. This book helped me alot but i m not to sure it ll give you the info on late play.
    you do have to bluff at some point right?
    still i think this book would help.
    a big recommend.
  • I've read both the Harrington books as well as theory of poker... does this have much more than the harrington books already cover ?
  • meltedmark wrote:
    well.... have u read T.J .Cloutier  and Tom M.'s book Championship No-Limit Hold-em. This book helped me alot but i m not to sure it ll give you the info on late play.
    you do have to bluff at some point right?
    still i think this book would help.
    a big recommend.
    I've read a few of TJ and McEvoy's books. It seems to me they're giving out advice they'd like their opponents to follow rather than advice to help you win. But maybe I should go back and have another look at them...

IMO they don't hold a candle to anything by Sklansky or Harrington. I'm curious if others feel the opposite to this???
  • IMO they don't hold a candle to anything by Sklansky or Harrington. I'm curious if others feel the opposite to this???

I don't disagree with the facts that Harrington or Sklanky's books are really good. Sklanksky's book is always on my night table beside my pillow.
    However I really attribute my no-limit, i repeat my No Limit play and skills solely on what I got out of Championship No-Limit Holdem.
    At a first glance or reading(which is well laid out) the book does seem like what pkrfce9 said. However give it another chance, I think u will not be disapointed.
    Saved my butt on some long MMT nights.....
    I respect everyone's opinon, especially mine
    lol
    [img][/img]
  • Maybe I'll give them another chance. My recollection is TJ was very down on playing AK, which I find to be awfully powerful in many situations. In general, the books seem to focus on 'tight' poker which doesn't win a lot of tourneys. I don't recall them discussing SHAL, which is something Harrington is very strong on and has a big impact on your decision making. But that could just be my slant on what they were saying.