Why Partypoker over Pokerstars and other fine questions =p (Help the new guy)

So today I decided to do a google search to see what would come up when I search for "Poker Canada" and I stumble across this site. I start browsing and I eventually end up in the "Online Poker Talk" forum and from what I've read in various threads people are recommending playing on Partypoker over other services (namely pokerstars) on a consistent basis.

I'm looking for specific reasons why; I've been playing on Pokerstars for quite some time and I find it to be a good service.

Also I should note that compared to what seems to be the majority of the userbase here I am as newbie and amateur as they get; I understand NL Texas Holdem, but right now I'm a new graduate from College, I don't have a lot of money, and I am just looking to cut my teeth on micro 0.1/0.2 and build from there and move on to higher stakes so I'm kind of looking for any advice anyone has for me on playing micro on Partypoker and what rakeback service they think I should sign up for (I know it won't do anything now, but in the future it will be usefull).

So like I said, the reason I want to play micro is mainly because I dont have a lot of money, and also I've noticed that despite losing $25 over the last month from my first try at online, my game has improved leaps and bounds over my 'Play Money' play and my play with friends.

So any advice, tips, information, whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~ Jeremy

Comments

• Read this site more. Everything you asked in your post has been answered many times over. Just do a search for a specific topic. ie: rakeback and you should get a ton of results.

Dont be afraid to post a hand history and ask for opinions. There are many experinced players that post here on a regular basis you can learn from.....

Welcome and good luck!!!
  • Pokerstars is the best site IMO. Aside from the best customer support, they offer the best tournament selections rainging from $1 to $2500 buyins. Furthermore, I also feel they have the best interface, and blind structure. If your goal is to play cash games, though, party may have weaker players, although I have never noticed too much of a difference. Also, I don't think Party has the micro stakes that you are looking for.

Personally I would recomend starting with SitnGos. I think they offer the best chance at building a small bankroll. I know there are a lot of good sng players here, so you will be able to get a lot of feedback.

Good luck in whatever u choose, and welcome to online poker.
  • I play Party exclusively - because I prefer the ring games.

However, Poker Stars is the place to be for tournaments.

If you are looking for Micro levels dont bother with Party they dont exist.

I have heard Ultimate Bet is good for Micro.

However, I recently signed up for a site called Titan - I signed up through Poker Source Online - No credit card - No risk - they just deposit $50 in your account for free - may be a good option of you if you are looking to grind it out.

The only restriction is you must clear 4500 points before you can cash out - i did that in 2 weeks but that was at 2-4 not .01-.02 - either way its free cash - grind out long enough and move up and you may get there.

I believe Party has the same promo - my advice is to too checj out Pokersourceonline.com - I wish I had known about this before I had signed up!!
  • Yeah party has the $75 then after clearing so many hands they give you another $25, very easy to do and its free. I like both party and stars, party has better bonus' and softer competition then pokerstars but pokerstars has better tournaments. Oh and if your into freerolls then party's freerolls are better since you only have to do one to get cash but its a very long tourny for very little cash usually.
  • Avoid Party if you are looking for Micro .01/.02 limits. You need to stay with Stars or Titan (there are others but I don't say go to them). Paradise Poker has good micro limits as well.

Clearing the Titan Bonus at the level in which you want to play is impossible, but you do get to keep the money over the $50 they give you.

Personally I prefer Party over Stars. I have never been a big fan of Stars "look". But Stars is where I first deposited money. They have a lot of players and a lot of games to play. Move to Party when your Bankroll can afford the higher limits.
  • I prefer stars to party most definately, I absolutely hate the party interface, and stars is great for me. lately, I've been playing titan, I went in through PSO, but I'n not a big fan. as soon as I clear, I'm cashing out and heading back to stars..
  • Time for a post college education Jeremy.
    I think your time and money are better spent
    reading and learning as much as you can about the game,
    rather than spending money on micro-limit games.

There is an incredible amount of knowledge to be gained
    from browsing this site and other forums (like 2+2).
    Make the investment in a couple good books (or borrow them if you can)
    like Phil Gordons LittleGreen Book, Getting Started in Holdem - Lee Jones,
    Harrington on Holdem (tournaments). 
    Spending the money up front on learning will save you a
    lot of lost money at the tables.

Good luck !
    Gina
  • People like party because it is the loosest and biggest site.
  • If you get to .50/1.00 (the lowest they offer on Party) I think you are better off at Stars. Maybe the tables are not as loose at Stars but the rake is higher at Party and I'm not sure the game is better there when considering the rake. I can't speak for higher limits but for .50/1.00 I just think you're better off at Stars for that reason.
    I mean that level is still pretty soft at Stars too.
    I don't think its such a mistake to play micro tables if you are cutting your teeth either. Winning Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones is a great read, and a good place to practice the stuff is at the micro tables.

cheers
  • I'm in a similar situation playing the micro limits...
    If you play the 0.01/0.02 I would try a hit and run tactic unless you have a good handle of the people at the table.
    Set a goal...say make $1.00 per table and then leave and play another table unless you are playing with loose players.

In all the poker books they say that table selection makes a difference.
    In the 0.01/0.02 it means the difference in walking away with $0.50 or $10.00

And don't get too crazy/greedy or else you will lose your money...in 0.01/0.02 people will chase with anything (and often hit).
  • playing that low it isn't going to make any difference where you play...you will definately notice a huge difference at 5 10 and higher, or .5/1 NL and higher
  • Thanks for the great replies guys this has been really informative; to the guy who recommended Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, thanks, I think I'll be going to pick that up tomorrow.

As for the micro tables, I've went through $25 in a month which isn't all that bad. Sure its bad losing money but I started off and I lost about $10 on tournaments, and then I just started playing Ring games and won some money and lost some money, and got a really bad beat and was down to $2.00 and then I went on a run and bounced back to $17.00 and there came by biggest learning experience; I have never had the feeling 'stop here' before and I'd wind up losing money (this is live poker) and usually I'd make a come back, but it would be a situation where I was a commanding lead in a tournament with friends and I'd drop from first to 5th on a table of 9 and I'd come back to 4th and come out even for the night not winning anything or losing anything. So I had the feeling and I ignored it and I lost it all and dropped to $4.00 on one bad beat, a few stupid bets and getting out drawn by people going in with nothing (I call it "The Rob Shaw Maneuver" after a friend who goes in with anything and usually burns me and my other pals).

So I'm learning and I know that the micro tables are nothing compared to the higher blind tables, but its certainly better than play money, and despite being a much better live player, I don't really have anyone to play with in Calgary for (relatively) small stakes.

So another question I'll ask some of you is what kind of bankroll do you personally use as your minimum for a .5/1 or 1/2 or 5/10 game (Yeah I know the numbers are going to be vastly different, and yes I'm going to search the forums for 'bankroll' etc, but I just want to hear from anyone who wants to comment in this thread).
  • Bankroll for a winning player to avoid going broke in a limit full ring game is usually 300big bets, thats $3000 for 5 10. If you have means to replentish a bankroll (they call it a job i think), then you can play with less. For a single session of a full table (8 to 11 players) ring game, I will typically quit if I lose 30-40 big bets ($300-400 at 5 10). Fortunately, most bad sessions for a good player hover around losing 20bb to breaking even. But even the best player can be in a bad game or get an unlikely run of cards, thats why you need this buffer if you don't want to ever put more money into your bankroll.