SNG hand

From a $500 SNG I'm in right now.  It all started on the flop with me thinking he was thinking I was stealing, and then it kind of went from there....

Any comments appreciated.

#Game No : 4222730878
***** Hand History for Game 4222730878 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $530 Buy-in Trny:23292430 Level:1 Blinds(20/40) - Tuesday, May 09, 02:01:59 ET 2006
Table Playing Possum (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 4: RojoCuse ( $2000 )
Seat 7: NEVER_LEARN ( $2060 )
Seat 9: standsWC ( $2662 )
Seat 1: Aces_All ( $2080 )
Seat 2: LT_Chairman ( $2085 )
Seat 10: Bigup99 ( $1810 )
Seat 6: j1044 ( $2275 )
Seat 5: bigdiamondsg ( $2000 )
Seat 8: JyleHB ( $1158 )
Seat 3: pamericana ( $1870 )
Trny:23292430 Level:1
Blinds(20/40)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Aces_All [  4d 4h ]
bigdiamondsg folds.
j1044 folds.
NEVER_LEARN calls [40].
JyleHB calls [40].
standsWC calls [40].
Bigup99 folds.
Aces_All calls [40].
LT_Chairman folds.
pamericana calls [20].
RojoCuse checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7d, 2c, Ac ]
pamericana checks.
RojoCuse checks.
NEVER_LEARN checks.
JyleHB checks.
standsWC checks.
Aces_All bets [150].
pamericana folds.
RojoCuse folds.
NEVER_LEARN raises [350].
JyleHB folds.
standsWC folds.
Aces_All raises [565].
NEVER_LEARN calls [365].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9c ]
>You have options at My Meeting Table!.
NEVER_LEARN checks.
Aces_All checks.
** Dealing River ** [ Qc ]
NEVER_LEARN bets [300].
Aces_All is all-In  [1325]
NEVER_LEARN folds.
Aces_All does not show cards.
Aces_All wins 3295 chips

Comments

• I would put exactly zero chips in the pot after the flop. I'm not sure why you think he's bluffing here with 2 more people behind him in a 6 way limped pot, and throwing in a minireraise isn't exactly convincing. That's a pretty weak blocking bet on the river I don't blame you for trying to take it away there but given how weird you played the hand I think you're still lucky he didn't look you up. I honestly think you were overthinking this hand and got lucky on the end.
  • I don't much see the greatness of this hand...I think you got lucky except for the river push...his river bet looks like the typical please let me see a cheap showdown bet.
  • VVNH
    Limped pot. Your opponent is holding A rag and you know this, after the flop. His weak river bet shows that he just wants to go to show down. He is probabbly holding Ah 8c or something like this. you know he has an ace and not AK or AQ or AJ so you know that he doesn't have the JQorK of clubs. Absolutely love the play.
    Please tell me whats going through your head during the hand.

Wader
  • I missed the Qc on the river so omit my Qc
  • I knew this hand would get a few different opinions...

My thought process:

Preflop: 3 limpers to me, I'm in the CO with 44, this is a no-brainer limp IMO.

Flop: Ac 2c 7d.  5 checks to me, I'm last to act.  I figure any big ace would have raised preflop, and any medium to small ace would bet this flop because of the number of players and the flush draw possibilities.  So I make a bet of 150 into a 220 pot.

The blinds fold, and NEVER_LEARN makes a small check-raise of 200 more.  I have played with NEVER_LEARN quite a bit in these SNG's, and he has played with me.  He knows that I would make that bet on the flop in that position with absolutely nothing, so I assume that he assumes that I am stealing, and is trying a re-steal.  Again, if he had an ace, big or small, I figure his play would have been different up until this point.  So I put him on a re-steal, and re-raise another 365, at which point he takes his time, and calls.

That call freaked me out a bit.  The hand was supposed to be over when I re-re-raised.  He was supposed to fold.  When he called, I had to acknowledge the possibility that he was holding AT or something and was playing it strangely.  Very strangely.  He should have bet out, or if he's going to check-raise, he should have check-raised more.  Most importantly, though, is that if I have to acknowledge that he has an ace, I also know that he is not holding the Kc or Jc, as AK and/or AJ would have likely raised preflop, especially from him.  Maybe even AT.  Good to know.

The turn: 9c.  Interesting card.  My opponent checks, which I LOVE, and I check behind, representing a guy who has a made flush (not likely) or a guy who wants to peel off the river for free (very likely).

River: Qc.  Perfect.  My opponent bets 300 into a much bigger pot than that.  More important than the disparity between the size of his bet vs. the size of the pot is the fact that he's left himself with just over 1,000 chips.  This is the classic "I want to bet enough to get my opponent to fold, or to see the showdown cheaply, but I want to leave myself with enough chips that I'll be able to fold if there's a big raise".  Sometimes, players make these bets deliberately, hoping their opponents will notice, and make a play at the pot.  I do it sometimes.  I didn't think that was what my opponent was doing, though.  He didn't have the nuts or the second nuts, and it was early in the SNG, so 1K+ in chips is playable.  He would be able to fold.  So, I moved all-in, and my opponent folded. 
    GTA Poker wrote:
    I don't much see the greatness of this hand...I think you got lucky except for the river push...his river bet looks like the typical please let me see a cheap showdown bet.

Never said it was great my friend... just different.  I play thousands and thousands of hands, some of which involve more-or-less straightforward bluff attempts, and some work, and some don't.  Nothing worth posting.  When a hand like this happens though, I figure I'll get some thoughts on it for better or for worse.
  • Good explanation of the hand...you should be on tv.

Like I said, I think the river play was great but that last club was a fortunate card at that point.
  • GTA Poker wrote:
    Good explanation of the hand...you should be on tv.

Thanks!  I'll pass that comment along.  ;)
    Like I said, I think the river play was great but that last club was a fortunate card at that point.

I agree that I probably needed a club on the river to win the pot.  The hand was supposed to be over on the flop... so I admit I got lucky, but I did put myself in the position to get lucky.
  • A great example of why you need to have within the limits of your BR.

If you are down to your last 2k and playing a 500 SNG - you probably arent making that move.

I am guessing/hoping your bankroll allows you take that gamble.
  • TNORTH wrote:
    If you are down to your last 2k and playing a 500 SNG - you probably arent making that move.

Party SNG's start with 2K in chips, so we all had around our starting stacks when this hand happened.

You guess correctly!  If the size of the buy-in doesn't allow you to trust your instincts, and act on them, then you are playing too high.
  • all_aces wrote:
    TNORTH wrote:

Party SNG's start with 2K in chips, so we all had around our starting stacks when this hand happened.

You guess correctly!  If the size of the buy-in doesn't allow you to trust your instincts, and act on them, then you are playing too high.

Correction: Re: $2000 (2K) I was not referring to your chip stack - but about your BR.

My point, as you clarified next, was that if you are playing for a 1/4 of your BR you are not making that play.
  • Ah! Gotcha. My bad. 2K in bankroll, not tournament chips lol.

I wonder, hypothetically, what an acceptable bankroll is for a player who only plays SNG's. 100 buy-ins? 200? I'm not sure it's ever been discussed here before.
  • I wonder, hypothetically, what an acceptable bankroll is for a player who only plays SNG's. 100 buy-ins? 200? I'm not sure it's ever been discussed here before.

Ive search for topics on SNG's and bankroll management, and no one has really addressed it specifically.

I would think 100 buyins is a "safe" amount, but I doubt its realistic for most players. For just the $11 SNG's you would need $1100.

50 buyins seems reasonable for a winning player.

Is it also necessary to have a larger bankroll as you play higher buyin SNG's (IE. 50 Buyins at $11 buyin, 75 Buyins at $55buyin)?
  • This has actually been discussed on other forums, I think most recently pocket fives had an article on bankroll for various players (MTTS, SNGs, ring, etc).

The commonly quoted number in 30, although I feel that 40-50 is a safer number.
  • Is it also necessary to have a larger bankroll as you play higher buyin SNG's (IE. 50 Buyins at $11 buyin, 75 Buyins at $55buyin)?

Hmmm... I think I can see why you would think so, but I don't think it matters.  I think you guys have it nailed at around 50... better safe than sorry.
  • It would be interesting if Party or other big sites would post stats on BRs - avg players earnings/losses etc...

I would be willing to wager that the average players bankroll on party playing $5 sngs would be > $100.
  • The only problem is, Party would have no idea what a player's BR is.  They would only know what has been deposited and withdrawn from their site.  Also, it wouldn't give us any indication as to whether or not players are using their Party BR (at any time) for SNG's exclusively.
  • :) It's hands like that that make me love poker. GJ Devo! Personally i woulda put him on A2 or A7 suited.

About the BR... I don't think there really is any magic number for how many times the buy in you should have... I've been playing 2 years of poker with friends/people around the city (all low buy ins 20-40 with some rebuys) After playing some hands online with 30$ i made it up to 70 and lost it all getting rivered the straight (the guy called all in with open ended straight draw). The skill level really isn't dictated by the amount of money in play. If you know you're a decent player and have a great chance of finishing in the money for a 50$ SNG, you shouldn't have to have to have 5000$ or even 1000$... There are just too many fishies in the sea for some people to wait around untill they save 1k to put online.
  • There are just too many fishies in the sea for some people to wait around untill they save 1k to put online.

Thanks Chris for the response! I have a bit of an issue with this last statement though... you're not supposed to have to save 1K, you're supposed to HAVE 1K in your BR already. If you don't, I honestly believe you need to play smaller, build your BR slowly, so that when you want to move up in limits you look at your BR and say, yeah, I can afford that no problem. Then it's just a matter of pressing a few buttons and moving your existing BR from place to place.
  • :) It's hands like that that make me love poker. GJ Devo! Personally i woulda put him on A2 or A7 suited.

About the BR... I don't think there really is any magic number for how many times the buy in you should have... I've been playing 2 years of poker with friends/people around the city (all low buy ins 20-40 with some rebuys) After playing some hands online with 30$ i made it up to 70 and lost it all getting rivered the straight (the guy called all in with open ended straight draw). The skill level really isn't dictated by the amount of money in play. If you know you're a decent player and have a great chance of finishing in the money for a 50$ SNG, you shouldn't have to have to have 5000$ or even 1000$... There are just too many fishies in the sea for some people to wait around untill they save 1k to put online.

Ah, memoirs of a bankrupt poker player, I loved that book